Court Orders YouTube To Remove Anti-Islamic Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by an actress over her 5-second appearance in the video. A U.S. court has ordered Google to remove the video. We strongly disagree with this copyright ruling and will fight it."

Government has to keep up appearances. Remember, it was this video, and certainly not terrorists, that caused the Benghazi incident that took four American lives. Or, like, it was for the first week and a half. Then it was terrorists. But they still arrested the guy who made the video because why the fuck not? If you're gonna lie, go big or go home! After all, as a future Democratic presidential candidate once said, what difference does it make?

They can keep up appearances by making empty, silly appeasement speeches. They should not be using our court system to violate freedom of speech. Folks this is scary. Being politically correct is one thing, political correctness actually forcing us to comply to a particular agenda is not compatible with a free society.

Easy to say that when you don't believe in the religion. If you're a Christian and someone said Jesus was a child molesting pervert, wouldn't you be pissed too.

What I don't understand is why people have so much to say about things they don't practice or are a part of. I'm not religious, but I don't go out there and make fun of everyone's religion. If someone feels the need for a personal believe system, they should be able to fulfill it without being ridicule.

Huh? Read the man's bio one day. I'm not a bible thumper myself but I can at least be intellectually honest.

Christianity is ridiculed on a regular basis in this country. Average response? Pat Robertson whines. People don't riot and call for the heads of the people responsible. People don't stab movie directors and leave notes on their corpses in the middle of the street. South Park handily demonstrated this when the Cartoon Wars series of episodes, which was ultimately prevented from showing Muhammed in the final part, yet ended with a crude mockery of Jesus Christ presented from the point of the terrorists, literally shitting over everything. Their point? Show Jesus defecating on President Bush and everyone laughs. Show Muhammed at all and entire television networks cower in fear.

They tried again a couple years later...and Comedy Central ended up bleeping every use of the word "Muhammed" throughout the entire episode. They even bleeped the customary "I learned something today" speech, about 20-30 seconds of continuous censor noise. Know what the speech was that they bleeped? A reminder that people shouldn't allow themselves to be bullied into silencing themselves.

Don't try to claim that the criticism of Jesus vs. criticism of Muhammed are even remotely comparable in today's world. It shows a fundamental lack of perspective on your part.

Thank you and well said. I find it absolutely ridiculous that anybody would even remotely compare the consequences for offending Christians vs Muslims.

They can keep up appearances by making empty, silly appeasement speeches. They should not be using our court system to violate freedom of speech. Folks this is scary. Being politically correct is one thing, political correctness actually forcing us to comply to a particular agenda is not compatible with a free society.

Dude...the court in question is the Ninth Circus. Apart from the recent California gun rights ruling, they are the most politically correct legal body in the nation.

Here's the real question: if the movie is edited to remove that objectionable few minutes, how easy will it be to re-upload the same movie, and how long will it stay up?

Fair ruling.
It's not about 1st Amendment. It's about copyright and slander. Now, if the guy who made the movie edits her out of the film, then it'd be a different issue.

Wow, only took 'till post #15 for someone who actually read the story instead of just jumping on the "bash-government-bash-Muslims" karma train...

This isn't about the film's content--it just so happens that this copyright claim involves a controversial film. Great for those who want to push their screeds ("The evil gubment is restricting free speech! Muslims are bullying us!") without actually seeing what happened...

Why sue Google though? Google did not produce the film. Google is only hosting it. That's like suing National Amusements for screening a movie produced by Paramount when the copyright issue would be with Paramount. Something definitely stinks about this.

Why sue Google though? Google did not produce the film. Google is only hosting it. That's like suing National Amusements for screening a movie produced by Paramount when the copyright issue would be with Paramount. Something definitely stinks about this.

Well like others pointed out, this is really more of a copyright case and as Google is the owner of YouTube and thus obligated to remove copyright infringing material....

Well like others pointed out, this is really more of a copyright case and as Google is the owner of YouTube and thus obligated to remove copyright infringing material....

IANAL, however I believe that you would have to file a suit against the correct entity first, and should the court find merit in the suit, at this point the issue of an injunction to remove the material in question until such time as the matter was decided.

Again, IANAL, but based on a few instances where I was forced to participate in legal action, this is my grasp of the proper way this would be handled.

Well, the government and everyone else is trying to tell Arizona what they can do with their freedom of religion in the name of "tolerance," so why wouldn't you expect them to curtail the freedom of speech in the name of "tolerance" also?

Separate but equal right? How dare someone discriminate against your right to discriminate against others.

Separate but equal right? How dare someone discriminate against your right to discriminate against others.

Proof? :rolleyes: Oh well, I guess I will laugh when you all come crying back about your freedoms being taken away. Then I will point back to where it all started, shake my head and walk away.

Brilliant.

Clearly from this particular thread, the viewpoint and intellect of the average 'american' is clear for all to see. Now that China seems to be overtaking you as the leading economic force in the world, and you are already quite far behind in the league tables of the top healthcare and educational structures, it really is rather hilarious watching this post unfold.

You should watch this video - with a real american soldier - telling YOU why he is risking HIS life in order to maintain freedoms in your country. Now, I would expect that THIS is what true 'american' stands for, rather then the bigoted racist ill-informed ignorant views being posted here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hHUQ0Lp6v4

It might open up some minds...then again, it may not.

Peace out!

Thank you and well said. I find it absolutely ridiculous that anybody would even remotely compare the consequences for offending Christians vs Muslims.
Christian followers would *never* blow a building up or shoot someone over their beliefs, amiright? :rolleyes:

This whole thing turned into soapbox territory real quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back