Coupon Users Furious Over Proposed Tax

HardOCP News

[H] News
Taxes are already out of control but Connecticut's governor is really pushing it with this idea. The governor wants you to pay taxes on the list price, NOT the sale price. That means if you get 35% off a $299 video card, he wants you to pay sales tax on the original amount, not the price you paid.

Ending the sales tax exemptions for coupons, discounts and automobile trade-ins are among tax exemptions Malloy has proposed ending to help close the state's projected $3.5 billion deficit. For example, the tax would be imposed on the $30 price of a blouse, not the $15 sales price.

I have a great idea for states having budget problems, do what tax payers have to do, live within your means. :mad:

That is retarded as a lot of items don't sell anywhere near list price.
That guy is a tool.

California has been paying retail tax (Not the sale price, but the full price) for years...CT is just now catching up?

Cool, this guy should be put in jail, like thieves usually are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Increasing taxes will really drive in-state sales and minimize out-of-state purchasing i.e. internet purchases and stuff!

Shit is getting more and more outrageous. God knows where the money really goes and as soon as a state fucks up and they always do, people like you and I have to clean their mess up with our pockets and a few years later these tools leave office with a fat ass pension.

Crap like this really irks me because I bet it costs the taxpayers more money instituting these new taxation laws then the revenue they will even generate... do they not understand people must be educated and kept up to speed on new changes, software must be updated to accept these changes etc. etc.

...AND then businesses which are already hurting in this economy are expected to make their systems and business practices compliant with the new taxation, at the same time as their business declines because competitors in other provinces/states don't have these stupid fucking laws!!!

Doesn't anyone ever watch National Lampoons Christmas Vacation? Things generally look good on paper but in practice... lol

Didn't RTFA... but did they take into account the losses they will have from people buying elsewhere?

Didn't RTFA... but did they take into account the losses they will have from people buying elsewhere?

Let em do it, it just means more money from my state, because that is where Amazon is. Once we rule the country, guys like this will be put before firing squad and we will rebuild!

Hooray!

How long is it going to take for people to stand up against their god damned government? How long are people going to continue to bend over and take this crap? Sales tax in and of itself is thievery.

California has been paying retail tax (Not the sale price, but the full price) for years...CT is just now catching up?

Living in California, I can tell you that this is not true, at least not where I live (Bay Area) sales tax is calculated on the actual sale price, not the full price.

Is this legal? This doesn't sound right (and barring CA and we know its super backwards there anyway)

I'm thinking from two simple stand points, 1. is obvious is that you didn't pay that much, you are charging tax on the projected cost of an item vs. what I actually paid, for that matter why don't we charge tax on the cost of the item not what they sell it for, meaning if it only costs the company $50 for the phone instead of $300 charge me tax from $50

2. If you look at it as the item is worth $100 with a 20% coupon that someone or something is paying that $20 of the cost still, okay I can deal with that. However you will also need to track down and properly tax that entity not me.

Increasing taxes will really drive in-state sales and minimize out-of-state purchasing i.e. internet purchases and stuff!

are you for real? How will raising the price of stuff minimize out-of-state purchasing when it's mostly sales tax free, unless the web-tailer has a physical presence in your state?

I am still have a problem grasping the idea that higher taxes is better. It's the red pill the govt pushes on everyone. We can spend it better than you can. If you have less money you spend less, that goes for "rich" people as well. When these so called "rich" people don't spend as much, it's usually somebodies job that they're not spending it on.

Why don't they just trim all salaries of state employees by 20%..... except for teachers. There is your cash in hand biatches.

I hope this wont spread like the plague. Can you imagine how much taxes you would spend on food if they were to rape you on the suggested retail price weekly. Arlington County VA as an 8.5% food tax.
I know the way groceries are rigged around here... they mark the shit up way high and make you carry one of those gimmick "Super Savings BOOOOOYAH" cards.

On another note...... WTF is California doing charging 9% General and 11% food tax. You guys are getting RAPED!

are you for real? How will raising the price of stuff minimize out-of-state purchasing when it's mostly sales tax free, unless the web-tailer has a physical presence in your state?

I am still have a problem grasping the idea that higher taxes is better. It's the red pill the govt pushes on everyone. We can spend it better than you can. If you have less money you spend less, that goes for "rich" people as well. When these so called "rich" people don't spend as much, it's usually somebodies job that they're not spending it on.

Read: sarcasm :).

Oh and tell those government mother&#($'s to turn down the heat and turn off some of the lights in the offices. Crooked ass bitches.

wtsamatta, meet phide :D

Ok... Americans as a whole need to quit whining about how much taxes they have to pay...

You got a point. Now why don't you pay my taxes and quite whining about it!

Most Americans I know such as my self pay way more into a bankrupt system then we ever see out of it. Can you not understand how that makes people mad.

CA does this for only some things, apparently. I buy stuff on sale all the time and only get taxed on the actual price; however for some reason at AT&T I get taxed on the full amount of the Phone ($400, HA!) instead of the actual $200 I pay. Talk about a (&)@# rip off. It must have to do with how the discount is classified or something.

Living in California, I can tell you that this is not true, at least not where I live (Bay Area) sales tax is calculated on the actual sale price, not the full price.

Funny my new Motorola Atrix 4G that I purchased on Saturday was charged the full tax price and not the sales tax price. I was taxed on $599.99 instead of $149.99...What does that tell you? Plus I live in SF, so I know all about high prices...

Funny my new Motorola Atrix 4G that I purchased on Saturday was charged the full tax price and not the sales tax price. I was taxed on $599.99 instead of $149.99...What does that tell you? Plus I live in SF, so I know all about high prices...

I also purchased a new TV 2 months ago at the Best Buy in Colma and was charged for the sales tax on $1499.00, not the sale price of $899.99...so there are 2 items that I was charged full tax on the MSRP and not sale price...

Umm.. have you bought a cell phone lately? You definitely pay FULL retail price sales tax. Here's a link to someone else that this happened to.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/05/21/868429/-Sales-Tax-on-Full-Retail-Price-in-California

As the comments in that article suggest, it has to do with how the company selling you the phone actually handles the discount, basically the company selling you the phone pretends they are charging you the full price, and then give you a discount of $x, which is pretty retarded. The same thing does not apply on a regular basis at all from what I have seen (including working in computer retail for 2.5 years)

Why not. This is how it works on cars. Why? Because they call the discount you get on cars a "rebate".

Yea, in California certain items get taxed at full retail and not the sale price (i.g. Cellphones). It's a bloody ripoff. Check your next sales receipt on a product you bought at discount.

As a resident of the "great" state of CT, the higher the taxes go, the sooner it is that I depart. We have high taxes all across the board (not the highest in any one category, but when you roll them all together, it is one high tax burden) - sales, income, property taxes. The clown-in-charge of the AFL-CIO in the state demanded that the budget be balanced solely on tax increases - not a dime from givebacks from the union members. I must say - they really suffer from those BRUTAL slave-driver bosses, making them put in grueling 35-hour "work" weeks.

I also purchased a new TV 2 months ago at the Best Buy in Colma and was charged for the sales tax on $1499.00, not the sale price of $899.99...so there are 2 items that I was charged full tax on the MSRP and not sale price...

Interesting, I have not run into this myself. Though, as someone in the DailyKos article comments above suggested, it may be the way the retailers handles the actual discounts.

IE they make it look like this:
Advertise for price y (regular price is x)

They charge you X+tax for X, then instantly after they "give you" X-Y back. You end up with the full sales tax bill but you "paid less as advertised". Which is quite frankly retarded.

:D :D Touchy subject with me, I'm a painting contractor, one of those out of work peeps I need the rich to get back to spending :D :D

How could they even think this is a good idea? And Who's Original Price? MSRP, The Store's original price, The price listed at Marshalls that says "Originally sold for..."?

Well, you guys still have much lower taxes than many (25% sales tax and 50% income tax here), but that's still a stupid idea. Stores always use sales prices to trick customers into thinking they're making a good deal. The list price is rarely relevant and such a tax would probably have stores lowering their list prices to match their sales prices.

Clueless partisan pontificating in 3...2...1....

oh wait. Too late.

This is what happens when:

1) you have a recession
2) you cut taxes without cutting spending.

But hey, I'm in that top 20%. Keep the voodoo economics coming! I'll be able to (maybe) pay for my kids education in 15 years.

Clueless partisan pontificating in 3...2...1....

oh wait. Too late.

This is what happens when:

1) you have a recession
2) you cut taxes without cutting spending.

But hey, I'm in that top 20%. Keep the voodoo economics coming! I'll be able to (maybe) pay for my kids education in 15 years.

Oh and to be OT: this is a retarded way to raise funds. Yes, taxes ARE the lowest they have been in almost 60 years (inflation adjusted). But this tax would hit those who could least afford it. It is regressive. I expect better from the D-Team. Taxes DO need to go up, but this ain't the way to do it.

When you buy an item, and the seller tacks on extra fees they charge sales tax on the actual, final total price you paid, now don't they? YET, when the seller gives you a discount suddenly they want to charge you the price before any alterations instead of the actual, final price you paid? Total lack of consistency. It's BS to charge somebody a tax on something they never paid.

You want to raise the percentage that's one thing (heck, my state has a 9.25% sales tax), but to charge tax on something NOT paid for is just wrong.

Uh california pays sale price tax on most things. The only exception I can think of are like cars, but even the tax is only on top of whatever rebate you get. Your discounted pre-rebate price is still counted.

Back