couple fundamental questions about memory

Soymilk

[H]ard|Gawd
2x1024 of brand x ram (say, corsair) at 3-3-3-8 1T ddr400 would run the same bandwidth as 2x1024 of something like ocz or mushkin at same timings/speeds, right? and theoretically the same as say crucial ballistix if u had them at those speeds for some unknown reason?

also, if i'm going to stick new ram in my computer, am i going to face any complications or is it as simple as take out old ram stick in new ram? will i need to have a fresh install of windows or nething like that?

due to some secondary timings that are set by the SPD, it'll be slightly different, but for all practical purposes, any of the same size ram at the same speed and timings will perform identically :D

SPD? :confused:

follow-up question! would something like corsair value @ 3-3-3-8 200mhz provide greater bandwidth than something like ocz gold @ 3-4-4-8 200mhz?

also, you didnt answer the upgrading question :)

serial presence detect or something like that. basically a little flash chip on the memory stick that stores all the information about it, size, banks, rated speeds, timings, etc etc ;)

your second question is answerable with the info i gave you before :p
(read: 3-3-3 at 200mhz is faster than 3-4-4 at 200mhz, given same size sticks)

still no answer to my "if ur upgrading is it as simple as remove old ram stick in new ram" question :p

oh, haha.. yeah, you can just change em. a bios clear is recommended, but usually not needed

thanks for the answers :). yeah i was all ready to infer that 3-3-3-8 200mhz > 3-4-4-8 200mhz no matter what brands, but then u mentioned spd and i was like hmm... that's speed without the vowels. maybe that changes something :p

Back