Country Life

sixty661

n00b
I am buying a house out in the country for a great price and a lot of land. Problem is I can't get high speed internet now the company I'm with now stops about 2.2 miles up the road. The house i own now is 6.1 miles away is there anyway I can run wifi from my house to the other house. I been reading up on it and been getting mixed answers

I'm also going to talk to my isp and see how much they would charged to run lines out there but heard it is pretty expensive

and i have $4000 max for equiment

Do you have an easement or something you could install from where you could get service - you'd have to install one end of it someplace, and it isn't clear that the service would come to the property line, or if it's a couple miles down the road from your property line.

Consumer WiFi is limited to 1W output power (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz), past that you need a FCC license (or some hacked/homebrew equipment). 1W with a set of directional antenna may not get you your 6-8 miles even with clear line of site, I've heard of 2-3 miles with reliability, and some outliers at 5 miles, but not reliably. Your mileage may vary.

http://www.countrymilewifi.com/how-to-set-a-bridge.aspx

Something like an unlicensed point-to-point microwave would do it, but may be overkill and overly expensive for just one user. Our area has an ISP that leases LOS microwave connections for a reasonable price, they are using licensed high power transmitters and installing them on leased spots on water towers and radio antenna. Their largest transmitters are getting about 25mi or better radius. I sit about 4 miles from the tower, with clear line of site, and the signal is strong, but a stiff breeze or inclement weather will definitely cause packet loss (since it causes the antenna to drift just enough - the LOS alignment is very sensitive). And don't expect Cable Modem/DSL speeds - bandwidth is a good deal more expensive. I get 3Mbs service for around $150/mo with no data cap.

As much as I hate to say it, is cellular an option? I know you can get satellite, but that's the last resort before dialup. And around in my neck of the woods, if you don't have line of site to the microwave provider, those are the only options your left with - we don't have cable or DSL within 30-40 miles of here.

Last edited:
If you could get clear los (tower over the trees) there is some ubnt equipment that could handle your requirement with ease for less than $500. That leaves you $3500 for the tower.:D

If you could get clear los (tower over the trees) there is some ubnt equipment that could handle your requirement with ease for less than $500. That leaves you $3500 for the tower.:D

Is it legal?? Because putting a tower in my back yard would raise some eyebrows

Of course it's legal. Ubiquiti makes some stuff that can definitely handle 6 miles if you have LOS.

This kind of stuff can get pretty complex though. Like fresnel zones...... There is a lot to consider.

And it's hardly cheap. In fact it's quite expensive to do most likely.

Also, the cable/phone company will probably tell you 10's of thousands of dollars to run cable 2.2 miles lol. That's if they'd even do it, you'll get tons of runaround until they give you some absurd number like $32k.

Your best bet is to see if you can find any wireless ISP's that serve your area.

Well.. Call your current ISP and ask them what it would cost to have them run a fiber to your place..? - worst answer you can get is a no.. right? - or if you can do a deal for say a 5 year contract if they provide you with some fiber?

Might be that they have some plan to run something down the road within some time, might get you in on that with a splitoff.

Alternatively, sure the ubnt gear could be an option - not all of it is insanely expensive..

I am buying a house out in the country for a great price and a lot of land. Problem is I can't get high speed internet now the company I'm with now stops about 2.2 miles up the road. The house i own now is 6.1 miles away is there anyway I can run wifi from my house to the other house. I been reading up on it and been getting mixed answers

I'm also going to talk to my isp and see how much they would charged to run lines out there but heard it is pretty expensive

and i have $4000 max for equiment

Relatively easy to do, if you can get the needed height on both ends.

Alternatively, considering you budget, how is AT&T LTE at the new property? If you have decent coverage (or even mediocre with some good antennas) you can get an iPad Unlimited plan ($30/month) off ebay for ~$1300. Pop the SIM card in a USB dongle or AT&T Unite (Pro) that you can get from ebay for $70 and have this:
4471676579.png

This is my home internet on exactly what I described. I do 300-600GB/month (the local tower is completely uncongested). Much better than my only alternative of AT&T DSL with 3.5m/384k (unreliable speeds, average is closer to 2Mbps) and a 150GB cap.

There are plenty of ebay resellers that will lease you the SIM for $100-125/month that you can use to test the waters and see if you are happy with it before going all in.

Downside: You will be behind a Carrier Grade NAT. (On the bright side, you don't need a VPN to torrent with impunity)

Last edited:
Back