Counterfeit items on eBay - in this case something listed as UL certified from janetsbestbargains

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
eBay is rife with counterfeit items.

UL is a certification that ensures powered electronic devices and connectors are safe. They require four characteristics of their certified products to help identify legitimately certified products that are safe for use.
https://www.ul.com/how-to-spot-fakes/
anticounterfeiting_fakes.gif

The amount of power connectors on ebay that are clearly fakes is absolutely immense. I bought one that looked okay from the product pictures, and received an item that was a counterfeit and didn't match the pictures.

This is just a public service announcement. Also a warning not to buy from janetsbestbargains - a seller who perpetuates this problem.

Here is janetsbestbargains seller profile:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/janetsbestbargains?

Here is the listing I bought from:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/111095964776
Here is a listing picture of the item I bought.
marketing.PNG

That product looks legitimate right?

Yet, here is what I received: (no box with UL information, just a clear baggy, and bullet 3 and 4 missing from the UL requirements)
IMG_0894.JPG

IMG_0898.JPG

IMG_0897.JPG

I attempted to reach the seller janetsbestbargains, because it's clearly a fake with no product description or 4 digit certification code. I suspect this wasn't an honest mistake, that she knew all along that she is selling counterfeit product, because of the aggressive way she responded to my inquiry. ("Kindly do not purchase from us again", and "GO AWAY" being among the gems of our exchange.)

Here is our exchange from eBay.

To: archaeantrader
Subject: Re: I have a question about using my item or I want to send the seller a message: archaeantrader sent a message about Replacement 30 Amp 250 Volt Female Twist Lock 3 Wire Power Cord Plug Nema L6-30R #111095964776
Sent Date: Nov-06-17 21:35:53 PST
Dear archaeantrader,
Cord Connector 37KW. READ IT! It is NOT an UL reference. You are reading and making something out of nothing. Your family well being? Really? Why not go to the box store to begin with if this is such a concern? THREE Thousand plugs, hundreds sold to businesses, some buy 200 at a time and NO ONE, NOT ONE has burned down! Because you know what? If that was the case it would be all over ebay!!!! GOT IT? GO AWAY!
- janetsbestbargains

To: janetsbestbargains
Subject: Re: I have a question about using my item or I want to send the seller a message: archaeantrader sent a message about Replacement 30 Amp 250 Volt Female Twist Lock 3 Wire Power Cord Plug Nema L6-30R #111095964776
Sent Date: Nov-06-17 21:20:00 PST
Dear janetsbestbargains,
I asked the question, and I still ask the question. How can I be sure this isn't counterfeit. You saw fit to list the item with a four digit code underneath the "listed" in the picture. I attached your picture from the ebay listing and hightlighted the four digit code for you. You can look at your own listing and see its there in the pics for your item.
Did you look at the FAQ I sent you from UL?
The item I got did not have the four digit code. The UL FAQ states if it doesn't have the 4 digit code it's likely counterfeit.
UL's written guidance - not mine.
Some home insurance companies won't even allow a claim for a fire if they determine the fire started with something that wasn't UL rated.
I'm not even sure if ebay cares about counterfeit items - but I didn't get what was advertised in your listing photo. Before purchase, I purposely looked up how to spot a fake, and then looked for the ebay items that looked legit before I purchased. Your advertised picture had the proper markings. The item I received does not. I guess I'll go to home depot and pick one up that is truly certified -- my families well being is worth spending the extra $10 bucks to make sure I'm not installing a firehazard.
- archaeantrader

Sent Date: Nov-06-17 21:03:49 PST
Dear archaeantrader,
Not accusing? What is the following statement made by you "How can I be sure this isn't a counterfeit that is going to burn down my house?" We DO NOT sell counterfeit products. In the listing picture there is no code, its says Cord connector... If this is such an issue for you go to your local hardware store! Do what you will but we consider this conversation closed.
- janetsbestbargains

Sent Date: Nov-06-17 20:42:32 PST
Dear janetsbestbargains,
I didn't ask you for a return.
I asked you why my item didn't look like the one in the picture with the four digit code below the word listed as required by UL certification. Look at the photo in your ebay listing, see the four digit number below the word "listed". Then look at the photo I sent you of the item I received. That four digit code under the word "listed" is not present. According to the UL FAQ I linked - that missing code can indicate the product is counterfeit. I'm not accusing you of anything - rather I'm questing if there is a logical explanation as to why your product is missing an identification characteristic that would help verify it's legitimately certified from the UL.
- archaeantrader

Sent Date: Nov-06-17 20:35:55 PST
Dear archaeantrader,
The plug you ordered and received is the exact same as the one listed. We are not sure what you are alluding to but we do not sell counterfeit products. Over the past 5 years with over three thousand sales of these plugs if one had caused some misfortune there would have been some comments left to that effect (and we would not be selling) . You can take the LK-7332 and search it, it will take you to the manufacturer site and review the details there. Since you received the item you ordered but seem to need some other assurance we will be happy to glad accept a return. We will not however be responsible for the return shipping. A refund will be issued when they are received here. Kindly do not purchase from us again.
- janetsbestbargains

Subject: I have a question about using my item or I want to send the seller a message: archaeantrader sent a message about Replacement 30 Amp 250 Volt Female Twist Lock 3 Wire Power Cord Plug Nema L6-30R #111095964776
Sent Date: Nov-06-17 19:11:04 PST
Dear janetsbestbargains,
Hello,
The replacement 30 AMP 250 Volt Female Twist Lock 3 wire Power cord I ordered from you doesn't have the UL 4 digit code listed which makes me wonder if this is authentic. How can I be sure this isn't a counterfeit that is going to burn down my house? I specifically purchased from you because the picture showed the proper UL requirements to verify I was buying a legitimately certified UL product - as compared to other sellers that were obviously selling counterfeits.
The second question on this linked UL FAQ states there should be a four digit code under "listed" which as you can see in the photos of the product you shipped me --- isn't present.
https://www.ul.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/marapr2004.pdf
https://www.ul.com/how-to-spot-fakes/
- archaeantrader

I reported this seller to the UL. I don't even know if it's worth bothering with reporting her to eBay. I doubt eBay cares at all, and by the time I ship this back, and they deduct shipping both ways - I'll lose money over just tossing it in the trash. Hopefully this was helpful to someone. I'm tagging this post with janetsbestbargains so hopefully someone will find this in a websearch if they google her shop name and realize she is selling counterfeit items (and responding in an unprofessional manner to any challenge of her fake product).

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
kinnda your fault for not expecting such. ebay is filled with counterfits some of a horrific quality and some with better quality then the originals (knockoff arduinos are fantastic :p) when doing a project dont take any mission critical component from somwhere where you cant afford a falure. Molex to sata adapters as well as ribon riser cables are notorious for being crappy. I still buy the ribon risers because the savings outweigh the costs of buying more but have since stoped using the cheap adapters as they like to catch on fire.

kinnda your fault for not expecting such. ebay is filled with counterfits some of a horrific quality and some with better quality then the originals (knockoff arduinos are fantastic :p) when doing a project dont take any mission critical component from somwhere where you cant afford a falure. Molex to sata adapters as well as ribon riser cables are notorious for being crappy. I still buy the ribon risers because the savings outweigh the costs of buying more but have since stoped using the cheap adapters as they like to catch on fire.

It's 'kinda my fault' for doing the pre-purchase research to know what a legitimate UL approved part is? Using that info to attempt to purchase a safe part, wading through dozens of counterfeit listings on eBay to find one that meets the criteria to be legitimate, waiting for the part to arrive after purchase only to find out it was a counterfeit, and wasn't what was advertised? Confronting the seller, because I didn't get what I ordered, and told by the seller to shove off...

I come here to warn of a bad seller, and perhaps more important, the mass fraudulent UL listing problem on eBay, and you say this issue is my fault? :rolleyes:

I would stick with known name brands for AC electrical. Buying it on eBay is fine for the most part but like I said, known branded components. Leviton, Eaton, Pass and Seymore, Hubbel, Cooper, etc... I mostly say this because over the years I've dealt with two electrical fires that burned a commercial building to the ground. One was a restaurant, residential microwave, other was a non UL light fixture. Insurance denied on both.
Oh and edit to add - my parents came out great with a brand new building..... it was the tenants that caused it on both. :)

Either way though - what you bought is not as described. File the claim with eBay, send them back, and get your refund.

Last edited:
For sure, file a claim, get a refund and return that crap, item was not as described.

The problem with knock offs is that it may work great, but you dont know what kind of materials the plastic is and that after a few years it breaks down and causes an issue, that wouldnt happen with the right plastics/materials.

I dont like a ton of laws and rules just like a lot of folks, but many of these things like UL specs are there to specify that the products can withstand certain levels of heat/stress and won't start a fire. If there is anything we should all be familiar with is greed. And if a company can get away with using sub standard materials to make millions they will. Just take a look at the past 30 years of vehicle recalls on various parts.

It's 'kinda my fault' for doing the pre-purchase research to know what a legitimate UL approved part is? Using that info to attempt to purchase a safe part, wading through dozens of counterfeit listings on eBay to find one that meets the criteria to be legitimate, waiting for the part to arrive after purchase only to find out it was a counterfeit, and wasn't what was advertised? Confronting the seller, because I didn't get what I ordered, and told by the seller to shove off...

I come here to warn of a bad seller, and perhaps more important, the mass fraudulent UL listing problem on eBay, and you say this issue is my fault? :rolleyes:

its your fault for beliveing that you would actually get a real part. thats like ordering jordans off alibaba and being upset when they are fake. It may be a perfectly fine part and work perfectly well. with that said almost everything on ebay is either a Chinese part or a Chinese part shipping from a us warehouse. Apalogies if this isnt what you want to hear but thats the way it is. on a side note ebay will probrably refund you if you want, (then go to a credible sourse if you absolutely want a UL part)

Last edited:
You have nothing to worry about. When this burns your house down, all the evidence will be melted.

And seriously who buys this shit on Ebay? There are plenty of reputable home good stores all over which sell non counterfeit items.

Ebay doesn’t care either. It’s a known cesspool for knock off items.

Shit yeah. I would've paid double just to have the real deal item from a reputable hardware/electrical shop and have piece of mine knowing my house won't burn down. Last place I would go for UL approved parts is ebay.

its your fault for beliveing that you would actually get a real part. thats like ordering jordans off alibaba and being upset when they are fake. It may be a perfectly fine part and work perfectly well. with that said almost everything on ebay is either a Chinese part or a Chinese part shipping from a us warehouse. Apalogies if this isnt what you want to hear but thats the way it is. on a side note ebay will probrably refund you if you want, (then go to a credible sourse if you absolutely want a UL part)

so EVERYBODY is doing it and that makes it okay?

I refuse to actually believe you guys think it's a buyers fault when a seller sells a counterfeit product and tells you to shove off when you challenge on it.

bigddybn
cdabc123
vegeta535
Ocellaris

So with your posts and 'likes' in mind -- Please, don't complain when you order a 1080TI on ebay from a seller with 8222 feedback and 99.5% positive rating (like janetsbestbaragins) and a 1070 is shipped to you instead. Or for that matter - don't complain on hardforum when you don't get the product you purchased.

I mean...... you expected a scam from ebay right? (or hardforum?) Everybodies else is doing it. It's cool, just keep the 1070.

no? not cool?

What's the difference? The value of the product sure $10 vs. $700. But the parallel in misrepresentation is identical. And no, I don't expect to be treated like that from a seller with 8000+ feedback and 99.5% positive score, nor do I think it's okay to trick anyone on a low value product I'm selling and just tell them to screw off after I stick it to them.

One's own integrity is the ONLY thing one has.

Last edited:
so EVERYBODY is doing it and that makes it okay?

I refuse to actually believe you guys think it's a buyers fault when a seller sells a counterfeit product and tells you to shove off when you challenge on it.

bigddybn
cdabc123
vegeta535
Ocellaris

So with your posts and 'likes' in mind -- Please, don't complain when you order a 1080TI on ebay from a seller with 8222 feedback and 99.5% positive rating (like janetsbestbaragins) and a 1070 is shipped to you instead.

I mean...... you expected a scam from ebay right? Everybodies else is doing it. It's cool, just keep the 1070.

no? not cool?

What's the difference? The value of the product sure $10 vs. $700. But the parallel in misrepresentation is identical. And no, I don't expect to be treated like that from a seller with 8000+ feedback and 99.5% positive score, nor do I think it's okay to trick anyone on a low value product I'm selling and just saw screw off, after I stick it to them.

One's own integrity is the ONLY thing one has.

I don’t buy stuff from junk sellers on Ebay if I am concerned if it’s real or not. For example if I bought a 1080Ti on eBay, I would buy it from Newegg’s Ebay store.

be very wery of ebay feedback. when you get into the few thousands they are almost surly selling cheap Chinese products. and i would trust someone with 5 feedback on [H] then someone who has 10k on ebay. And i would buy a 1080ti on ebay provided the seller doesnt mass sell cheap items, its not a "too good to be true" deal. and nothing else looks fishy. As said ebay will refund the buyer if anything isnt right. I spend thousands buying parts of ebay and I have had PLENTY fail. I almost always overpurchase because of this. If you dont feel like testing the quality of your part (if its at low amps the part is probrably more the capable) get a refund and spend the extra money to get a part that you want. so sorry you didnt see this coming but you really shouldnt be so offended that it happened and was expected to happen.

Cry me a river. You bought a low dollar item from eBay and that's exactly what you got. You come in here screaming counterfeit and now acting like a child because you found a 13 year old PDF that you think makes you an expert. Nevermind the fact that the vast majority of UL listed items don't seem to have your mystery code.

Somebody call the UL police, I found this shady seller peddling counterfeits on an obvious scam site. It's even made in China which I read means it's evil. https://www.grainger.com/product/BR...l-Grade-Locking-49YW98?functionCode=P2IDP2PCP

49YW98_AS01.jpeg

The presence of a UL mark doesn't guarantee anything. There are products out there that have fake UL marks.

https://www.ul.com/newsroom/publicnotices/ul-warns-of-potentially-hazardous-led-tube-lamps/

https://www.ul.com/newsroom/publicn...-on-floor-and-table-lamps-release-no-16pn-11/

https://www.ul.com/newsroom/publicn...ardous-electronic-ballast-release-no-17pn-02/

https://www.ul.com/newsroom/publicn...urface-mounted-luminaires-release-no-16pn-07/

Personally, I'm going to Lowes or Home Depot for electrical supplies or parts. It's simply not worth the risk over a few dollars.

I dropped by both Home Depot and Lowe’s tonigh to try to pick up a UL certified 30amp end. Neither box store sold a unit UL certified. The units they did sell didn’t even have a label on the unit, nor on the Box. They were just blank plastic faces. They didn’t “look” any higher quality than the eBay unit and they cost $30.

One thing a previous adversary in this thread sure got wrong about me was that I never claimed to be an expert after reading a 2004 PDF. Snarky as his comment was — the reason I was reading up on this topic was because I don’t know much of anything on this topic and I wanted to be safe for my family and I. I know 240v can easily kill someone who comes into contact and I don’t want to risk a fire. My co-workers (one who dabbles in electronics as a pretty serious hobby) suggested I buy UL certified.

I looked up UL certified and learned about the fakes.
Thus this thread...

However is UL certified common anymore? If the big box store don’t carry it? Seems odd.

Last edited:
Strange thread. I know Archaea is a good guy, and I also know the veteran posters taking counterpoint here are solid.

Bottom line, "janetsbargains_whateverthefuck" and a zillion other ebay sellers are getting their massive boxes of cheap chinese shitstock shipped in from Alibaba, and it really isn't worth the time dealing with them - especially on small cheapo items.

Archaea: I just installed 30A 240V line myself to increase capacity. It's easy-peasy. If you want, create a thread in the mining subforum and I'll be happy to help you step through it. All you really need is a used APC PDU, a Leviton 2620 30AMP receptable, 30A double pole breaker, some 10 Gauge wire and a few C14 to C13 power cables.

Strange thread. I know Archaea is a good guy, and I also know the veteran posters taking counterpoint here are solid.

Bottom line, "janetsbargains_whateverthefuck" and a zillion other ebay sellers are getting their massive boxes of cheap chinese shitstock shipped in from Alibaba, and it really isn't worth the time dealing with them - especially on small cheapo items.

Archaea: I just installed 30A 240V line myself to increase capacity. It's easy-peasy. If you want, create a thread in the mining subforum and I'll be happy to help you step through it. All you really need is a used APC PDU, a Leviton 2620 30AMP receptable, 30A double pole breaker, some 10 Gauge wire and a few C14 to C13 power cables.

Thanks,

In progress. Equivalents to all of those parts are on order or already arrived.

https://hardforum.com/threads/launc...580-windows-10-based-mining-rig-blog.1946756/
and
https://hardforum.com/threads/do-modern-power-supplies-auto-switch-to-240v.1947295/

Just opened up my panel to make sure everything checks out. From what I can read and understand this looks right. Can you confirm?
I used my Milwaukee voltage detector to confirm that the black and red wires have power at the end I'm going to terminate and the white does not.

So I think everything looks good.

By the way -
I bought a HP 24 AMP PDU from an eBay seller. I'm SUPER pleased with it. It just came in today, and I don't think it had ever been opened. If you need such a thing - I highly recommend this unit I picked up. It has an LCD screen with three zones where it can provide you realtime amperage use info.
HP AF914A PWR Monitoring PDU
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HP-AF9...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It came with two C14 to C13 power cables, and I bought the others I needed from monoprice.

IMG_0906 - highlight.jpg

Just opened up my panel to make sure everything checks out. From what I can read and understand this looks right. Can you confirm?
I used my Milwaukee voltage detector to confirm that the black and red wires have power at the end I'm going to terminate and the white does not.

So I think everything looks good.

By the way -
I bought a HP 24 AMP PDU from an eBay seller. I'm SUPER pleased with it. It just came in today, and I don't think it had ever been opened. If you need such a thing - I highly recommend this unit I picked up. It has an LCD screen with three zones where it can provide you realtime amperage use info.
HP AF914A PWR Monitoring PDU
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HP-AF914A-PWR-Monitoring-PDU-Ph-1-24A-200-240VAC-24-x-C13-3-x-C19-NEMA-L6-30/122700555807?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It came with two C14 to C13 power cables, and I bought the others I needed from monoprice.

View attachment 42491

thanks for the pdu recommendation that one looks fantastic.

i'd ship that shit back and force them to eat the shipping. as long as you put "not as described" the "i'm not paying shipping back" from the seller won't hold any water and ebay will side with you.

eBay is heavily buyer-friendly. You have a very easy case here. Pro-tip: If the listing says "returns not accepted," the only thing that means is that you don't have to return the item to receive a refund. Just file a claim with eBay and they'll refund your money.

I'm also not sure why you're going on a huge rant over a $10 connector, of which you can buy locally and make sure it's UL certified in person. Going further, why wouldn't you have just done that in the first place if your family's safety is of utmost importance? o_O

Last edited:
eBay is heavily buyer-friendly. You have a very easy case here. Pro-tip: If the listing says "returns not accepted," the only thing that means is that you don't have to return the item to receive a refund. Just file a claim with eBay and they'll refund your money.

I'm also not sure why you're going on a huge rant over a $10 connector, of which you can buy locally and make sure it's UL certified in person. Going further, why wouldn't you have just done that in the first place if your family's safety is of utmost importance? o_O

Yes it's inexpensive, but I was annoyed at the misleading ad and, the shove off reply of the seller.
I reported janetsbestbargains to the UL, with pictures and full ebay communication exchange --- including the part were the seller said they had sold over 3,000 of these and got a nice e-mail back stating they would look into the matter, and follow up with me after the investigation.

You know -- all the seller had to say was, I'm sorry for the listing issue, these aren't UL certified. If that matters to you, then I'll refund your money, but FWIW we have 3,600 customers who buy these and not one complaint or issue.

I'd have returned it, or kept it, and just dropped it the issue.

Instead the seller lied and doubledown, saying I received exactly what was listed (even after I sent pictures showing I didn't get what was advertised), said screw off, don't contact me, etc. -- acting like the whole thing was my fault she was selling counterfeit gear and that I should get lost if I was going to challenge the scam. If you try to scam someone as a seller, and get called out on it by the buyer - then you are going to belittle the buyer for challenging you? For Shame.

So I escalated it to the UL. There's clear evidence the seller sold at least 3600 of these. The UL could bust janetsbestbargains chops if they so desire. (Lawyers contact, demand retribution etc). Not sure if they will pursue - but that'd be fine by me. You reap what you sow.

Last edited:
Yes it's inexpensive, but I was annoyed at the misleading ad and, the shove off reply of the seller.
I reported janetsbestbargains to the UL, with pictures and full ebay communication exchange --- including the part were the seller said they had sold over 3,000 of these and got a nice e-mail back stating they would look into the matter, and follow up with me after the investigation.

You know -- all the seller had to say was, I'm sorry for the listing issue, these aren't UL listed, I'll refund your money if you like, but FWIW we have 3,600 customers who buy these and not one complaint.

I'd have returned it and dropped it the issue.

Instead the seller lied, and said I received what was listed (even after I sent pictures showing I clearly didn't), said screw off, don't contact me, or you can return it but you have to pay for shipping, etc. -- acting like the whole thing was my fault she was selling counterfeit gear. If you try to scam someone and then blame the buyer - for shame.

So I escalated it to the UL. There's clear evidence the seller sold at least 3600 of these. The UL could bust janetsbestbargains chops if they so desire. Not sure if they will pursue - but that'd be fine by me. Reap what you sow.

hw would the ul do anything to the seller??

hw would the ul do anything to the seller??
I've read they aggressively pursue people who counterfeit their certification. (assuming everything from cease and desist, up to and including legal action)

I read they aggressively pursue people who counterfeit their certification.

how would they for somthing like this? no website to takedown. i would doubt they are us based or be capable of any us legal based actions. and i guess they could try to go through ebay but ebay doesnt tent to care to much about stuff like this.

I am looking at my eBay purchase history. I have polyimide tape, a lot of pieces from broken Moto phones, some moisturiser for my SIL, an Oral B USB charger (but not the USB AC part), a square-to-round Lenovo plug (I guess this is risky because after all it takes 65W but it's completely passive so let's hope there's enough copper for it...), USB port anti dust cover, a key puller... see a pattern? All random crap that a) are hard to find b) completely pointless to counterfeit as they are not even a brand.

I dropped by both Home Depot and Lowe’s tonigh to try to pick up a UL certified 30amp end. Neither box store sold a unit UL certified. The units they did sell didn’t even have a label on the unit, nor on the Box. They were just blank plastic faces. They didn’t “look” any higher quality than the eBay unit and they cost $30.

So when are you going to report Home Depot and Lowes to UL for doing the same thing as janetsbestbargains ?

Ebay sells cheap Chinese knockoffs? No way! I never would of guessed.....
Ebay is good for some stuff. Caveat emptor?
Janetsbestbargains.... seriously....

After review of the entire thread and to quickly summarize. Janetsbestbargains is a highly questionable reseller on eBay in terms of their customer support, making them a high risk if you purchase something from them. Secondly non-certified UL listed items are found everywhere. I chose to look at random stuff in the house and found 5-12v power supplies that are not truly UL listed even though I originally looked at the UL stamp before and after purchase. I also found other random items I have had for years that were in the same boat. I have 2 choices, look at EVERY device I have and validate it is certified or continue with my life knowing that many of these items are aged (maybe look at a refresh on some heavier used items). The education on UL listing/certification is and will be appreciated moving forward.

TLDR version... Don't buy from Janetsbesetbargains and know that you probably have dozens of devices that are not UL certified and buying UL Certified is not easy.

So when are you going to report Home Depot and Lowes to UL for doing the same thing as janetsbestbargains ?
Since you are being snarky, without even reading what I said, I’ll repeat myself.

Those 30 amp ends I saw at HD and Lowe’s weren’t listed as UL. They had blank faceplates. No certification claim, so nothing to report.

Since you are being snarky, without even reading what I said, I’ll repeat myself.

Those 30 amp ends I saw at HD and Lowe’s weren’t listed as UL. They had blank faceplates. No certification claim, so nothing to report.

I was just at Home Depot this morning and this Legrand has an incorrect UL mark silkscreened on the plug.

I just happen to have an older one of these from either Lowes or Home Depot. I would bet I bought this prior to 2010. The packaging is still sealed. It has UL markings on the back but the actual connector has none at all. The white end is completely flat and the black back only has instructions on what to cut to fit the electrical cord.

2017-11-11 14.13.30.jpg 2017-11-11 14.13.38.jpg 2017-11-11 14.14.41.jpg

but the actual connector has none at all.............

Circled.... ????

2017-11-11 14.13.30.jpg

Edit to add - aside from that you got me curious. Went and looked in my electrical closet. I have dozens and dozens of breakers, receptacles, plugs, etc. All have some sort of UL mark somewhere. Generally no number though and the mark is often very tiny and in odd random places. On some receptacles its on the metal mounting tabs. My guess is UL does not always require a full number on the actual device where it would be impractical due to size and shape.

Yeah - I'd not trust junk Chinese made ones. I've had plenty of them and even things like 12 butt connectors, etc. The metal is just weak and soft, screws will very easily strip out on terminals, etc. I'd wager you are not going to buy anything as far as receptacles and plugs in the main electrical aisle in Lowes or Home Depot that is not UL listed. They would not sell it, too much of a liability. Some other products there might slip by though.

My electrical closet.... I think I could probably setup a pretty sizable mining farm. 600A 3PH (delta) service. :D
IMG_20171111_142900931.jpg

Last edited:
Even if UL is successful in suing this seller for improper use of trademarked/copyrighted UL symbols, the vendor will likely just declare bankruptcy, list minimal assets, not lose much money, and be up and running under a new name in a few days.

Back