Counter Strike: Source

86 5.0L

Supreme [H]ardness
I admit, I havent really been as into PC gaming as console gaming. I built a gaming PC in late '06 played most of the AAA games till CoD4 fried my poor 7900GS, parted it out, and bought a laptop with a GPU on the lower end of the spectrum, now i want something to entertain me thats not gpu intense, I never tried CS:S, and I dont get this idea of a Steam account.

For somebody like me would it be worth the trouble to get into CS:S?

I'd say give Team Fortress 2 a shot. It's not gpu intensive, but it's definitely a helluva lot of fun.

I'd say try Left 4 Dead, but takes some more juice from what I hear.

I used to be with you on Steam, but it's not bad. Means you never need to worry about losing discs. You can also back up the games on your HD and then burn them on a disc if you want (so that you don't have to redowload your game if you have to reinstall Windows for example).

CS:S and TF2 are very different games, and both can be very fun. I was into CS:S for a while, and tried TF2 but I couldn't get into it. TF2 is more graphic intensive than CS:S, I think. What GPU is in your laptop? I have an AMD Mobility 3470 256MB in mine and it plays CS:S OK. An integrated GPU won't do it, however, I've tried with an Intel X3100.

this is all you need to know from playing with other people online for awhile

CS 1.6/CS:S = serious business

TF2 = BONK!

i'd go with TF2

There are tons of CS:S and TF2 servers. If you've got a friend that plays both and/or either hit them up for a trial.
Hell, if you want to try CS:S you can use my old VAC banned account and mess around on some servers if you wanted to.

CS:S is something that everyone should try out. You WILL get stomped for a solid month after starting, but eventually you will learn some good tactics, and learn the map layout. You will be flanking and headshotting in no time. Here is a tip, play against people who are good. If you play a bunch of morons all the time you won't develop your skills as if you were playing a bunch of pros.

TF2 is a different sort of monster. The achievements make it addicting, but the games all seem the same to me. Yes, it is fun, but I don't think it will stand up against a game as proven as CS.

oh im sure I'll pick it up quick, Im a expert with tactics, and I agree that you'll only be the best by playing with the best.

as for my GPU its a 7150m, I know kinda shitty, but it can handle Rome: Total War on High settings @ 1280x800, and ran CoD4 on low settings so im sure CS:S will run ok on it

I played CSS for a good 2 years and eventually stopped. Pubbing was ridiculous with all the cheaters and the community is just horrible. I went competitive in Cal M. Disputes for blatant walling and aiming were ignored and overall I grew tired of the game. I love pubbing in TF2 now. The regulars in Lotus are awesome to talk to on the mic and we make jokes and have fun everytime we play.

TF2 is fun.

CS: Source is fun too, but the only players left are the ones that are extremely good.

CS:S pubbing = some cheating
CS:S scrimming = you will not have fun for a while

CS:S is an awesome game if you want to play in a league or if you find a good server. There is still a lot of good servers out there with great admins, it might take a bit to find one but once you do CS:S can still be fun.

TF2 gets pretty boring for me. It's not a bad game but I don't think its quite as good as everyone makes it out to be.

L4D is very fun.

Since I'm the odd one out on TF2 I'd have to say all of these games are worth checking out.

CS:S pubbing = some cheating
CS:S scrimming = you will not have fun for a while

CS:S is an awesome game if you want to play in a league or if you find a good server. There is still a lot of good servers out there with great admins, it might take a bit to find one but once you do CS:S can still be fun.

TF2 gets pretty boring for me. It's not a bad game but I don't think its quite as good as everyone makes it out to be.

L4D is very fun.

Since I'm the odd one out on TF2 I'd have to say all of these games are worth checking out.

I totally agree here, and I didn't really get into TF2 either...

They are all good games.

I have not touched CS:S actively in a while due to my favorite servers going under but I enjoyed it a lot.

It wont tax your system a lot either. My laptop from 2003 with an Independent 64mb video card can handle CS:S at 30+ fps.

TF2 is more intense due to different lighting and other updates to the engine.

L4d is less system hungry than TF2, but it gets a slight CPU boost from all the AI and such.

All are fun, but some wont appeal to certain play styles.

CS:S is less system intensive than TF2. That is why the ticrate is half what they set it for on the other Source games. They expect more people to play it. Too bad it is a bunch of 12 year olds on most servers. It does have bots though, if you are into that. They suck up a lot of CPU though, depending on how many. But in any case try them both, you might find something you like. I prefer TF2.

I thought Left 4 Dead would be taxing on my 8800GT/ e3110 system but it's really not. Basically if you can play Half life 2, you can play L4D just fine. It's very well done and runs great. When I saw it playing smooth as hell on people's systems with new video cards and all that, I was worried that my system wouldn't keep up but I was happily wrong. TF2 I find to be alot of fun. Takes alot of team strategy and whatnot to get the job done. I prefer the capture points games as opposed to the games where you have to capture brief cases. Just seems like more fun and more team work to me.

I hate CS:S because it's a fun game but I suck at it :D

I thought Left 4 Dead would be taxing on my 8800GT/ e3110 system but it's really not. Basically if you can play Half life 2, you can play L4D just fine. It's very well done and runs great. When I saw it playing smooth as hell on people's systems with new video cards and all that, I was worried that my system wouldn't keep up but I was happily wrong. TF2 I find to be alot of fun. Takes alot of team strategy and whatnot to get the job done. I prefer the capture points games as opposed to the games where you have to capture brief cases. Just seems like more fun and more team work to me.

I hate CS:S because it's a fun game but I suck at it :D

I find that if you can run Half-Life 2 you can run about anything Valve makes. They have done an awesome job of scaling their game engine. It should support anything DX7 and up, just not with the same level of quality.

Counter Strike Source is imo the best multiplayer game ever made, pure shooter gold with the best shooting model and risk/reward mechanic (get killed early and you watch for 3 min and spawn broke, play smart and next round you can buy everything you need). If you have never played CS before it will be hard at first (you have to learn to shoot, its not just point and spray) but give it a couple of weeks and you will get the hang of it, I have been playing almost everyday since beta and am still getting better. I would stick to the AK and use single fire until you start learning how to spray, hold the walk button while shooting or even better don't move at all until you learn the patterns. You also might want to play on non-AWP servers (you will see this in the name) until you get the hang of the game unless you want to die a lot.

TF2 on the other hand got old very fast, class-based rock/paper/scissors games like TF2 simply don't do it for me when it comes to competition, when I get killed by someone just because he had the correct class to beat my class I go nuts, if I die in CS it's because the other guy outplayed me. Shooting takes no skill and you can just spam whatever weapon that class you chose uses with no consequences at all.

Left4Dead is a fucking joke I have no idea what Valve was thinking, mindless button mashing and no skill required, I can see the appeal of co-op zombie mayhem but it's not even in the same galaxy as CS:S.

You can run CS:S at 100fps with a $50 video card if your cpu is good, many servers run at 100tick and you should ideally run at 100fps or higher to take advantage, but that's too technical for now.

Don't get discouraged, when you die watch how the people at the top the scoreboard play, and play lots of gungame learn the weapons and deathmatch to improve your speed.

Left4Dead is a fucking joke I have no idea what Valve was thinking, mindless button mashing and no skill required, I can see the appeal of co-op zombie mayhem but it's not even in the same galaxy as CS:S.

Hmm, i am sure the OP will listen to you with such intelligence as that, heaven forbid a company tried to bring out games with varied gameplay instead of just rehashing the same old thing with different skins.

Your post is quite funny in it's entirety in that it should show the OP which game he would like, if you don't like it it is probably quite good.

Get CS:S. Server mods and custom maps make CS:S what it is. Gun game, zombie mod, minigames, death run, and surfing just to name a few.

TF2 is fun.

CS: Source is fun too, but the only players left are the ones that are extremely good.

oh man, you gotta try 1.6.

But yeah, if your looking for a ame with a huge community thats easy on the graphics, 1.6 is your game. Prepare to get owned be people who are way too into that game though.

I'm having a blast with TF2 right now though. Valve basically took all the good stuff out of halo and combined it with CS in comical fashion, and released this game.

TF2 is worth several good laughs[exclude the first result] too (meet the sniper is my favorite).
edit: no its not, meet the soldier is my favorite. "He bought two of every animal on earth! And then he hearded them onto a boat! And then he beat the crap out of every single one of em.

i loved css, but I think tf2 is way better if you're casual or care about fun. CSS was too much of a pro game, theres just so many people that are too good and you probably sit out quite a bit. From the 2 years I played css I could tell you that I ran into hackers at least once a week, but I have yet to run into hackers in tf2 or if they do hack its really inconsequential in tf2. IMO if your system can handle tf2, go for it rather than css. Order of system requirement from high to low: Tf2 > L4D > CSS > CS1.6

dont play CS:S. Help the cause and be another number that won't play it so it can DIE already.....

CS:Source should run just fine on that hardware. I'll do a bit of CS:S when I'm working in the field - lousy bandwidth and a laptop - and still get an enjoyable game out of it.

TF2 is also a great game. I've found myself switching over to it. Much more 'team' involved, multiple classes. The hit boxes are very different (but hey, that was true of CS 1.6 to CS:S too). Easy to think accuracy no longer matters - but it does as you get your arms around some of the weapons.

Anyhow, both are dirt cheap. Try them out and see how they run!

oh man, you gotta try 1.6.

But yeah, if your looking for a ame with a huge community thats easy on the graphics, 1.6 is your game. Prepare to get owned be people who are way too into that game though.

I'm having a blast with TF2 right now though. Valve basically took all the good stuff out of halo and combined it with CS in comical fashion, and released this game.

TF2 is worth several good laughs[exclude the first result] too (meet the sniper is my favorite).
edit: no its not, meet the soldier is my favorite. "He bought two of every animal on earth! And then he hearded them onto a boat! And then he beat the crap out of every single one of em.

Hehe... I used to play 1.6 all the time, but I switched to Source the second they released the beta and never looked back. I just wish there were more people playing de_aztec... or even de_dust. Everybody plays dust2, office, or custom maps nowadays.

I'm sure that 1.6 is still fun, but the graphics are unbearable. Why would I ever want to use a 9700pro (or now a 4870) to play 1.6?

CS is one of my favorite games of all time. It's the perfect competitive FPS in my onion. But since TF2 came out i haven't played anything but tf2. I might go back to CS if they add in something to keep track of my heads batted in. BOINK!

CS is one of my favorite games of all time. It's the perfect competitive FPS in my onion. But since TF2 came out i haven't played anything but tf2. I might go back to CS if they add in something to keep track of my heads batted in. BOINK!

Same here. I've really only played TF2 for the last year or so. Its almost too addicting. The only thing I don't care for is the fact that my 7600gt will only get 60fps when there is almost no activity and 30fps or less if there are 20 or so people on the screen. Everything in settings is turned to low or medium and no AA or anything. I'd like to get a cheapo 8800gt or gtx if they would come down in price so I can max the game out. I don't plan on buying a new PC for at least 2 more years (if I can squeeze that out of my current system.

if your gonna play cs or cs:s for the first time i HIGHLY suggest getting a feel for shooting by playing GunGame Deathmatch servers. its very fast paced and you get a feel for the guns much faster.

any time i stop playing css fir a while, before i go jump in a pub or scrim i go warm up in a gg-dm server for a lil gets the blood flowing and loosens the rust if you know what i mean.

Hmm, i am sure the OP will listen to you with such intelligence as that, heaven forbid a company tried to bring out games with varied gameplay instead of just rehashing the same old thing with different skins.

Your post is quite funny in it's entirety in that it should show the OP which game he would like, if you don't like it it is probably quite good.

just stating my opinion, I'm allowed to think a game is shit just like you are allowed to think a game is good. L4D is not good imo, requires absolutely zero skill to play, you get unlimited ammo and the melee attack is more effective than shooting.

I love competitive games where everyone is on an equal footing, class based shooters are inherently unbalanced when certain classes meet and TF2 is no different. It was fun for a while but it didn't do it for me and got old after a couple weeks so I went back to CS:S, I missed the guns and the solid feel of the shooting (in TF2 the crosshairs are huge and bullets go all over the place no matter how well you shoot, everyone can just spam their fire button). L4D isn't even a competitive shooter at all so it doesn't even belong in this thread but it was already mentioned so I put in my 2 cents.

I do get where the hate for CS comes from, hackers are a bigger problem than in any other game (it's the biggest shooter in the world so it's expected, just like most viruses are written for windows since it's the biggest OS) and the community can be shitty at times. But once you find a good server with cool people and good admins it becomes the most fun I have ever had playing a multiplayer game since COD1 and UO.

imo css feels like more like a solo game even though you play in a team. The amount of communication is far less than say tf2 or l4d. I hardly hear anyone talk in css other in scrims, but I hear people talk all the time in tf2 in pubs. I mean usually its something stupid like making jokes or making funny sounds and stupid shit like that, but it makes the game more social. And yes, people are more relaxed in tf2 and l4d than css, I remember my foot use to fall asleep from playing css because I wouldn't move and focused too much in that game ;)

imo css feels like more like a solo game even though you play in a team. The amount of communication is far less than say tf2 or l4d. I hardly hear anyone talk in css other in scrims, but I hear people talk all the time in tf2 in pubs. I mean usually its something stupid like making jokes or making funny sounds and stupid shit like that, but it makes the game more social. And yes, people are more relaxed in tf2 and l4d than css, I remember my foot use to fall asleep from playing css because I wouldn't move and focused too much in that game ;)
It all depends on who you play with.

I prefer CS:S games of no more than 6v6 for smaller maps, or 8v8 for larger maps. Smaller player counts force people to stick together. You won't win if you go in 1 on 1.

The 20 v 20 servers pretty much breed players who live off of reflexes. You basically buy an AWP, hang back, and see how many people you can snipe before you get hit by another AWPer. Alternatively you can go in guns blazing, but that's basically a game of "lets see how many people my clip can take out before I die".

just stating my opinion, I'm allowed to think a game is shit just like you are allowed to think a game is good. L4D is not good imo, requires absolutely zero skill to play, you get unlimited ammo and the melee attack is more effective than shooting.

I love competitive games where everyone is on an equal footing, class based shooters are inherently unbalanced when certain classes meet and TF2 is no different. It was fun for a while but it didn't do it for me and got old after a couple weeks so I went back to CS:S, I missed the guns and the solid feel of the shooting (in TF2 the crosshairs are huge and bullets go all over the place no matter how well you shoot, everyone can just spam their fire button). L4D isn't even a competitive shooter at all so it doesn't even belong in this thread but it was already mentioned so I put in my 2 cents.

I do get where the hate for CS comes from, hackers are a bigger problem than in any other game (it's the biggest shooter in the world so it's expected, just like most viruses are written for windows since it's the biggest OS) and the community can be shitty at times. But once you find a good server with cool people and good admins it becomes the most fun I have ever had playing a multiplayer game since COD1 and UO.

To a point I will agree.

Did you play L4d on expert? On anything below advanced it is boring. But even with unlimited pistol ammo you run out of your bigger guns ammo and a ton of zombies force a good amount of teamwork.

On the surface TF2 looks like one class will always beat another but after you get good at certain classes that is not true. A simple scout can take out anything in the game if the player is good. A good soldier does more than spam his 4 rockets etc etc... I find TF2 requires more skill to be really good than CS;S / CS these days.

CS:S used to be more about skill IMO. Now its more about twitch and awping. Even it has "class" variations with different guns that people can buy. A Desert Eagle vs mr camp's a lot's awp usually wont win.

Again different tastes for different people. I enjoy all three games and know plenty of people who dont like some or all.

Back