Counter-Strike GO Adds Stiffer Penalties For Repeat Offenders

HardOCP News

[H] News
In the "about damn time" category, Valve is finally doing something more about repeat offenders when it comes to griefing. According to patch notes released yesterday, it is now two strikes you are out. Here's the bit from the notes:

A temporary griefing conviction assigned by Overwatch will now be elevated to a permanent conviction if the suspect had a previous temporary griefing conviction.

I have never received a griefing conviction and I probably deserved more than a couple. I have never even heard of someone being banned for it.

What constitutes as griefing now days? When I played source all I did was run around in gun game with a knife and take peoples levels. Many people raged. I had some server admins ban me temporarily for making people leave the server. That was like 10 years ago. At this point people are alot more fragile so I'd be curious what griefing is today.

Well, i thought gaming within the coding was legit. If someone is running around with a knife and racking up kills. Get some more skills or improve your game. Banning people permanently, will just keep in the back of my mind that the game will not be purchased. I don't have time for whinny people or weak childish wussies!

What constitutes as griefing now days? When I played source all I did was run around in gun game with a knife and take peoples levels. Many people raged. I had some server admins ban me temporarily for making people leave the server. That was like 10 years ago. At this point people are alot more fragile so I'd be curious what griefing is today.
Griefing is in competitive play only I would assume? gun game knife kills get you a level up so while people may get butthurt, nothing wrong with it.

Griefing would be in a competitive match where your own teammate is working against you to make the other team win. So they will troll the hell out of you, kill themselves, reveal locations, etc.

I wonder how many people are just going to be screwing around with their friends and end up getting banned because they aren't playing the game how others want them to....

I wonder how many people are just going to be screwing around with their friends and end up getting banned because they aren't playing the game how others want them to....
Its not about having to play how others want you to. its about playing the game mode right. If you want to screw around with friends then either do it in casual servers or get a group of 5 so you can all have your fun and not ruin the people that want to play it right fun. Nothing sucks more than playing by yourself, only get put on a team with 4 friends that are just messing around and youre the only one that wants to play right.

Yeah, who in the world would ever want to play a competitive team game and have their teammates actually trying to win? The nerve of some people.

That was sarcasm in case it wasn't obvious. When you're playing a game with the intent to win, and matchmaking stuck you with some asshat who might as well be AFK because at least they aren't an active problem, it sucks. Those people have game modes to play and derp around in however they want, without crapping up the game for everyone else.

Its not about having to play how others want you to. its about playing the game mode right. If you want to screw around with friends then either do it in casual servers or get a group of 5 so you can all have your fun and not ruin the people that want to play it right fun. Nothing sucks more than playing by yourself, only get put on a team with 4 friends that are just messing around and youre the only one that wants to play right.

Yeah, who in the world would ever want to play a competitive team game and have their teammates actually trying to win? The nerve of some people.

That was sarcasm in case it wasn't obvious. When you're playing a game with the intent to win, and matchmaking stuck you with some asshat who might as well be AFK because at least they aren't an active problem, it sucks. Those people have game modes to play and derp around in however they want, without crapping up the game for everyone else.

I was thinking more the party of 5 scenario (youtube: Random CS:GO Bullshittery), are the opponents able to report players, or just teammates?

Also, I imagine there are plenty of kiddies who simply don't know better that hop on their mommy or daddy's account and pick whatever they're used to seeing the folks play and just screw around. Is this able to get the parent's account banned?

I really don't know how any of this actually works, I just A: like to have at least some fun when I'm playing games, and B: have a daughter who is often over my shoulder at gametime, and hate precedents that could end up costing a game license. Or does it only ban you from that style of competitive?

Generally it'll result in things like suspensions from competitive play, I suppose if you keep getting yourself suspended it might result in an eventual ban. If you don't want to risk it, or want to derp around, don't play competitive game modes. It's the equivalent of playing golf while some asshat is trying to do donuts in a golf cart on the green, or playing basketball while someone else decides to play catch with a football on the court at the same time. If you can't play distraction free(kids, wife, pets, etc.) then don't play comp either. If you want to let your kids play the game as well, get them their own account or make sure they're not playing competitive modes. It's likely not going to be a surprise since most devs will start issuing bans running up to weeks long before they do something drastic to a habitual troll like permanently ban their account.

Keep in mind that generally in competitive modes, everyone else in the game including your opponents is dedicating probably 20-45 minutes(depends on the game) or more to focus on that match. No one wants their time wasted(or getting a loss) because one or more players want to just screw around. The fact that it's a "game" doesn't change the fact that screwing with everyone else attempting to play properly is not acceptable.

Generally it'll result in things like suspensions from competitive play, I suppose if you keep getting yourself suspended it might result in an eventual ban. If you don't want to risk it, or want to derp around, don't play competitive game modes. It's the equivalent of playing golf while some asshat is trying to do donuts in a golf cart on the green, or playing basketball while someone else decides to play catch with a football on the court at the same time. If you can't play distraction free(kids, wife, pets, etc.) then don't play comp either. If you want to let your kids play the game as well, get them their own account or make sure they're not playing competitive modes. It's likely not going to be a surprise since most devs will start issuing bans running up to weeks long before they do something drastic to a habitual troll like permanently ban their account.

Keep in mind that generally in competitive modes, everyone else in the game including your opponents is dedicating probably 20-45 minutes(depends on the game) or more to focus on that match. No one wants their time wasted(or getting a loss) because one or more players want to just screw around. The fact that it's a "game" doesn't change the fact that screwing with everyone else attempting to play properly is not acceptable.

Your not the boss of me. If I want to derp while playing comp, it's my right to do so. There's nothing you can do about it. I will play CS:GO how I want so go pound some sand if you don't like it.

Back