Counter Strike: Global Offensive $13.49 Pre-Purchase

I'm curious what other peoples thoughts are on this game? I'm in the beta and the game looks nice but I miss stuff like the old buy menu and the server list. I read that this is going to replace CS 1.6 while other times I hear that no one really likes the beta. Rumor has it that a big update hits before the 14th so I guess the beta will have one last hurrah before release.

Still might buy it just cause it is CS but the whole 5 on 5 thing seems like the matches are too small for my liking. Still at this price it is still hard to pass up.

This game was the reason I got into PC gaming and eventually into computer in general.

Well, if one were to buy ATM...I think the bundle would be a better deal. $18.69. If you don't need copies of the originals...for $5.20 more...you could always gift em or use them as trade items?

My opinion on the actual game...GO...meh...not that excited. For sure do not like the fact it is much more similar to 1.6 than it is to CSS. Graphics look ok...just not that much of a draw. Once it goes open gaming..it may be more fun having some more of my friends that can play...For the price...prob a good purchase...don't get much these days for less than a Twenty spot.

@alf717 or anyone else in the beta: Can you still buy everything using console script binds?

When I used to play CS I never used the menus, I just created a .cfg file with bind setups to buy the different weapons and equipment.

So at the start, instead of like 6-7 clicks to buy, I would just hit the bind(s) for what I wanted and that was it.

Right now in the beta you can only play 5 vs. 5 matches. The buy menu is this weird looking circle (very console like) and you have to match make to play online. No server list at all, unless I'm doing something wrong. The game looks nice but really not liking the limitations. They seem to be there for no good reason other than to hold things back but again this is beta.

Game's decent, needs some work on the recoil and stuff though. Also the scoreboard is meh since it only shows like the top 5 players on each team. I'm stickin with css for now.

A shame Microsoft isn't getting in on the cross-platform action. Or has that changed?

that has not changed. i heard the reason behind that was updates. the pc version gets updated all the time; with consoles updates dont happen as frequently. the game wouldnt match up.

that has not changed. i heard the reason behind that was updates. the pc version gets updated all the time; with consoles updates dont happen as frequently. the game wouldnt match up.

Not to mention an average pc player would whoop a pro console player's butt.

Nope. You can play 32v32 if you really wanted to.

You can use the server browser. It's on the main menu.

See above.

Well I'll be dipped in chocolate sauce. The list is there not only that but the first 32 man server I picked threw me into a gun game server so I guess mods are support as well. Happy day, not that gun game is my thing, but still.

Microsoft & Sony charge massive fees for uploads to XBLA and PSN. With the near daily patches CS:GO will have it was deemed too costly to keep all 3 platforms up to date. That was straight from Gabe.

Sony actually has been playing nicely from what I understand but Microsoft is the one everyone is up in arms about. They treat Devs horribly and charge outragous fees. Thats why all the indies are flocking to PC.

Right now in the beta you can only play 5 vs. 5 matches. The buy menu is this weird looking circle (very console like) and you have to match make to play online. No server list at all, unless I'm doing something wrong. The game looks nice but really not liking the limitations. They seem to be there for no good reason other than to hold things back but again this is beta.

Not only am I not digging the buy menu, I just see CS:GO as a graphical update more than anything. I'll wait until it drops to $5 during the Steam Winter Sale. :D

There's no way I'd pre-purchase this game before I see what the update brings. I've got nothing against the game except for the fact that I don't feel compelled to play it-it simply isn't fun for me. I've only played it a total of 11 hours since I installed it May 21st.

I'm not sure why though... I guess it's the over-all feel of the game (there's no "chunk" when you fire the guns-especially the deagle) and the faded look. I hesitate too much thinking I'm going to kill a teammate because I can't focus in on who it is fast enough, and focusing in on somebody's head fast enough is next to impossible for me (granted, my vision sucks, but I do fine in CS 1.6 and CS:S as well as pretty much every first-person shooter I've ever played).

Well I'll be dipped in chocolate sauce. The list is there not only that but the first 32 man server I picked threw me into a gun game server so I guess mods are support as well. Happy day, not that gun game is my thing, but still.

GUNGAME OR GTFO

The game has a built-in mode called "Arms Race" that is I think what you are talking about. It is obviously a ripoff of Gun Game but who cares lol. Conveniently, most of the people who play Arms Race are crummy so I actually have a chance on those servers :D

But yeah, its a Valve game. I don't know why people don't expect community server and mod support. It is pretty much a given. Valve only demands that you use steam, otherwise they don't care what you do.

I feel the same way about the way you see the models. In 1.6 and CSS which I have both played competitively for years. I have no problem telling the difference. In this game, everything feels so faded or fogged up I can't tell what I'm looking at instantly.

Meh, I hate CSS gameplay and I still play it. Why? because it has such a big modding community and I love to program stuff myself so the fun is endless. You can't really go wrong for 13,49$, preordered it last night. A fresh graphical update for 13 bucks is fair for me.

I feel the same way about the way you see the models. In 1.6 and CSS which I have both played competitively for years. I have no problem telling the difference. In this game, everything feels so faded or fogged up I can't tell what I'm looking at instantly.

Having played CS:S competitively for years, I can say the same at least about the updated de_aztec. That map is Call of Dutied, in my opinion. It's hard to distinguish player models from a distance. But you've got your muscle memory, so sometimes it doesn't take a clear view to get a shot, just a whip of the mouse.

I'm really on board with CS:GO. I scrimmed 1.6 for a while, but never got seriously into it. CS:S I got pretty serious with. I like the changes in GO. I'll definitely be getting this. ESEA already has its client working with the beta. I think it'll be a hit. It definitely still needs more fine tuning (footsteps glitch), but Valve will hopefully iron things out quickly.

I remember dming on aztec, had to try really hard just to see people. I played a few scrims and pugs in GO on ESEA. Was fun playing something a little different for a change~ One thing I really don't like are the flashbangs. if you get flashed, good chance you won't live through it. Them seem to last as long as 10 seconds lol

friends and I had a blast with GO. (we all played 1.6 and css) pre-ordered! I honestly thought valve was gonna make this $24.99~$29.99 at $13.49, I just dropped my pants, and said. VALVE... just take it! (the money...) 1 week and 4 more days left!

I will be getting this game even if I have never really got into any other CS games. It has a great following and should be good shooting fun. Just have to spend some time to improve my game. I think the price is great for such a well known new release. May be the only new game I buy the rest of this year.

Is there anyway to get into the beta to test out before buying? I haven't bought a videogame since supreme commander: Forged alliance lol I'm currently in dota 2 beta & its the only game I play...

Thanks knight. I sent one out. I tried to do this for dota 2 but I didnt get in. Then valve sent me a email to buy some sort of skins for dota 2 & I emailed them asking for a dota 2 beta and all the sudden I got one lol..

After I finish up esea for a couple seasons and most of the bugs are worked out of GO then I will play it. I have the beta, but it just isn't like 1.6 and source are.

The newest update makes the game better, to me at least. It is still a little different but I think for now it is a pretty good thing. I thinking I might be biting at the current price. The new radio voice are a nice tough but that buying circle just doesn't do it for me.

Last edited:
The game is not great, but I will preorder it. I honestly would have paid $50 for it, so $13.49 is a steal. These games have huge amounts of replay value and everybody knows it will be around for at least a few years before another comes out...

The game is not great, but I will preorder it. I honestly would have paid $50 for it, so $13.49 is a steal. These games have huge amounts of replay value and everybody knows it will be around for at least a few years before another comes out...

few years is an understatement more like 6-8 years.

Interesting, I played cs for hundreds of hours back in the day certainly my 2nd most played game (behind Team fortress classic) how good is this game n comparison as we seem to be getting a variety of answers. I'm probably a buyer at this price since I've invested so many hours in the previous versions.

The newest update makes the game better, to me at least. It is still a little different but I think for now it is a pretty good thing. I thinking I might be biting at the current price. The new radio voice are a nice tough but that buying circle just doesn't do it for me.

Use buy binds then ;)

Back