Counter-strike FPS/Choppy play issues w/ ATI AIW Radeon 9600 Pro

Axsuul

Limp Gawd
Hi, before I upgraded to the ati aiw radeon 9600 pro, i had a geforce 2 ti in my computer. running on a athlon xp 3000+ processor and a7n8x mobo, i achieved a steady 100 max fps in counter-strike while dropping to 50ish in volumetric smoke which could be blamed on my video card. i was using opengl, 800x600 resolution, and 32bit color. After upgrading to the radeon 9600, the fps began to get choppy (begginnig with 100 fps, then sometimes dropping to 80 or 70, and also laggy play whcih i never got with my geforce ti). i am running on catalyst 3.10 drivers and here are my OpenGL settings for the card:

antialiasing: app preference
max reso: 1600x1200
antisioptric filtering: app preference

texture preference: high quality
mipmap detail level: high quality
wait for vertical sync: always off
TRUFORM: always off

my monitor frequency is 85hz. thanks for your time.

turn on vsync if your refresh rate is 85hz you should be getting 85 fps in CS even if you use fps_max 100 ..... turn on vertical sync and play on 85fps.. i run on 75fps and its smooth and feels better than when im running 100fps with vsync turned off... really anything higher than 75fps you won't notice the difference. since its an ati card maybe you should try running on d3d instead of openGL give that a try.

I was getting the exact problem with my friends 9600 XT.. I think it's rediculous for a card that supposedly has more power then a Geforce 3 to play such an old game so shitty...

V3l

Actually, I was having that problem for a long time with my 9600XT. I don't know how I fixed the problem to be honest though.

I came to the conclusion that it had something to do with the AA and AF, even though they are both set on App Preff, I some times noticed the game play better with them both set to 2x. Try that maybe?

Also, something that I know makes the game play smoother are the rates. If you set your fps_max 101, then set the cl_cmdrate 101 and the cl_updaterate 101, the game seems to run smoother in all my experience when the rates are set at the same as your FPS. (As long as you are getting that fps).

Back