Counter-Strike 2 is official - Summer of 2023 - free upgrade to CS:GO

staknhalo

Supreme [H]ardness
https://counter-strike.net/cs2

Counter-Strike 2 is the largest technical leap forward in Counter-Strike’s history, ensuring new features and updates for years to come.

All of the game’s new features will be revealed when it officially launches this summer, but the road to Counter-Strike 2 begins today as a Limited Test for select CS:GO players. During this testing period, we’ll be evaluating a subset of features to shake out any issues before the worldwide release.

Counter-Strike 2 arrives this summer as a free upgrade to CS:GO. So build your loadout, hone your skills, and prepare yourself for what’s next!

Read on to learn more about some of the features of the Counter-Strike 2 Limited Test.

Probably gonna launch around the Steam Summer Sale - June ~29thish ?

Last edited:
I skipped GO entirely TBH after being burnt out from Source and before

Getting a little itch to get back into it - player skins again at least if not playing

Hope for some zombie mod servers too 🤞

Screenshot_20230322-125515.png

Seems cool. I haven't played CS in literally about 15 years, but it's a game I've always liked and respected. Back in the late 90's and early 00's my roommates and I played constantly. It's probably why I don't really play FPS games anymore. Been there and done that.

At least valve still has a development team working on new stuff. If this was Left for Dead 3 or Half Life 3 the Net would be on fire.

They must have noticed a 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000001% drop in CS:GO skin sales/revenue

Took them 8 years to port cs go to source 2 a engine that very much looks looks its age and it only happened because they were being pressured by competitors like valorant.

Last edited:
Sounds about right for Valve.

Let's be happy they heard anything at all from under that pile of Steam money 😔👍

Edit: It's like when you don't see your elderly neighbor for weeks at a time, then see them one day taking out the trash. At least they're still alive 😔👍

I hope this is more like Counter Strike Source than CSGO, I hated CSGO.

I hope this is more like Counter Strike Source than CSGO, I hated CSGO.
What was the difference? Near as I can tell it's always the same game with new graphics, which are outdated at the time of each iterations release.

What was the difference? Near as I can tell it's always the same game with new graphics, which are outdated at the time of each iterations release.

More focus on skins. More dumb game modes. Revised map design, some weapon handling changes. CS GO was a nice trip down nostalgia lane, I played Source a lot. But I can not go back to those types of games. No aiming = no interest. It plays so dated. But it seems like a lot of people still like it, so good for them.

More focus on skins. More dumb game modes. Revised map design, some weapon handling changes. CS GO was a nice trip down nostalgia lane, I played Source a lot. But I can not go back to those types of games. No aiming = no interest. It plays so dated. But it seems like a lot of people still like it, so good for them.
That's my thing. Gameplay mechanics have evolved since the late 1990's and Counter Strike doesn't really evolve in that area. I don't get it.

Yeah even if it's all subjectively in my head and I can't accurately describe it, CS:GO felt different than CS:S to me too - where as CS:S felt like an evolution of CS (and I don't mean how people didn't like hitbox changes from 1.3 > 1.6 > Source or whatever, CS:GO just felt like a Counter-Strike clone I suppose - like it was knock-off mobile game named 'Alternative-Attack')

That's my thing. Gameplay mechanics have evolved since the late 1990's and Counter Strike doesn't really evolve in that area. I don't get it.

People think it is the pinnacle for competitive FPS games. It may well be, but I am not a pro gamer so I don't care.

It is interesting that this is free. As long as CS GO remains up that would be great. Would be bad if that version was removed forever.

Yeah even if it's all subjectively in my head and I can't accurately describe it, CS:GO felt different than CS:S to me too - where as CS:S felt like an evolution of CS (and I don't mean how people didn't like hitbox changes from 1.3 > 1.6 > Source or whatever, CS:GO just felt like a Counter-Strike clone I suppose - like it was knock-off mobile game named 'Alternative-Attack')

I agree, it felt more floaty for lack of a better term. Source felt more precise. But it has been many years since I played Source when I bought GO. And it has been many years since I played GO now. I have no desire to play it again honestly.

Kind of an odd way to do things. There are essentially 3 types of rebuilt maps in Source. The most popular maps seemingly get the least upgrades. Some maps get significant updates and PBR. Others are fully rebuilt using all of the latest Source 2 graphical features. Why not rebuild all of them so they all use the newest graphical updates? The fully rebuilt maps actually look nice graphically. Seeing that this game is essentially a graphical overhaul with moderate changes, they should just go ahead and rebuild all maps. Yes, you can keep the layout exactly the same. Just upgrade the graphics fully for all maps.

Kind of an odd way to do things. There are essentially 3 types of rebuilt maps in Source. The most popular maps seemingly get the least upgrades. Some maps get significant updates and PBR. Others are fully rebuilt using all of the latest Source 2 graphical features. Why not rebuild all of them so they all use the newest graphical updates? The fully rebuilt maps actually look nice graphically. Seeing that this game is essentially a graphical overhaul with moderate changes, they should just go ahead and rebuild all maps. Yes, you can keep the layout exactly the same. Just upgrade the graphics fully for all maps.

Yeah I couldn't tell if that was just for testing, or if how you have WoW and WoW vanilla servers..... maybe there'll be 3 types of each map to play when released and you pick your own server/map type when looking for a server?

Yeah I couldn't tell if that was just for testing, or if how you have WoW and WoW vanilla servers..... maybe there'll be 3 types of each map to play when released and you pick your own server/map type when looking for a server?

I don't think so. Sounds like for the most popular competitive maps they are re-using them from GO (Office, Dust, etc.), with moderate graphical upgrades. Other maps get the fully PBR treatment. Others are fully rebuilt to utilize everything Source 2 has to offer, seemingly with minor updates to design. Not really sure why they are doing that. You can easily make a 1:1 scale map, with everything Source 2 has to offer. Not sure why the most popular maps get the short end of the stick when they will be the most played.

All that being said I am more interested in Source 2 itself. It looked great in Alyx, at least on Youtube. This looks nice as well. Was hoping to see more games use it. Source used to be popular but seemingly Valve has thrown in the towel on supporting game development with Source 2 because no one is using it. Would have been nice if there was a real alternative to UE5. Maybe UE is just so far developed that Valve doesn't want to compete.

Counterstrike players either absolutely hate any type of progress, making them the Amish of the gaming world or they are all broke bastards running the game on computers that are period correct for when the game originally launched.

Interesting. As it’s a free upgrade I wonder if the skins will transfer. Sounds more like a migration than a separate game.

Counterstrike players either absolutely hate any type of progress, making them the Amish of the gaming world or they are all broke bastards running the game on computers that are period correct for when the game originally launched.

Which is why I'd understand having 'basic-vanilla-no changes' map type for all maps - for competitive or low spec players

But 'OK only these three maps are only this, while only these three maps are only that, and then only these three maps are only something else entirely' is just retarded on Valve's part if they're doing it like that

But.... it's Valve.... they only have 2 modes.... 'knock it out of the park' or 'retarded'

Which is why I'd understand having 'basic-vanilla-no changes' map type for all maps - for competitive or low spec players

But 'OK only these three maps are only this, while only these three maps are only that, and then only these three maps are only something else entirely' is just retarded on Valve's part if they're doing it like that

But.... it's Valve.... they only have 2 modes.... 'knock it out of the park' or 'retarded'
The thing is, everytime they release these updated versions of Counterstrike, they are already dated looking and shouldn't be all that demanding of low spec machines.

Interesting. As it’s a free upgrade I wonder if the skins will transfer. Sounds more like a migration than a separate game.

But what if the skins didn't transfer, so you'd have no skins at all, and have to buy a bunch of skins all over again?

1679522751439.jpeg

The thing is, everytime they release these updated versions of Counterstrike, they are already dated looking and shouldn't be all that demanding of low spec machines.

Which they (and a lot of competitive games) do to allow low spec players (5 billion people in China and India so to speak) to still play, which OK - but then that makes not just the graphical segmentation they're doing here - but 3 different graphical segmentations - additionally segmented by which map each - all that much more baffling (if it's not just for the beta testing or if you're able to select whatever graphical type for any given map upon release)

I can't see the reasoning/rationale

Back