Counter-Strike 2 is official - Summer of 2023 - free upgrade to CS:GO

The thing is, everytime they release these updated versions of Counterstrike, they are already dated looking and shouldn't be all that demanding of low spec machines.

Honestly, the "tier 3" of maps doesn't look that bad. It isn't top of the line and personally I would want it to look better if I was interested in the game. But the maps themselves look nice. Smoke interaction is interesting, but looks a bit unrealistic. The animations will of course be crap because they insist on keeping the gun handling and reload times the same. Same with walking/movement animations.

Counterstrike players either absolutely hate any type of progress, making them the Amish of the gaming world or they are all broke bastards running the game on computers that are period correct for when the game originally launched.
I think Dan is jaded competitive Counterstrike player of old...He knows too much about us to be viewed otherwise. :)

That means they're getting rid of loot boxes, right?

...Right???

rick-and-morty-i-can-answer-that-for-money.gif

lol. All the skins will transfer over. If they didn't I think there would be mass suicides from the child gambling addicts that spent thousands of dollars on them.
They don't want to change much so they can keep that cash rolling in.

I'm not sure how well this will work out. If there is one thing CS players seem to hate, it's change, progress and evolution of games.
only when change and progression are really downgrades and regression
When they converted Counter Strike: Source from GoldSrc to Orangebox Engine it was a literal shit show from every aspect. It broke EVERY mod, the game felt like complete shit and a bunch of changes nobody wanted and that bogged the game down were forced.
I was in the CSGO Closed beta and you could get the game to be as good as CSS GoldSrc by running it at 170 tick. Then they removed tickrate. Valve also kinda middle fingered the community side by implementing restrictions in order for CSGO servers to show up in the browser. All they cared about in CSGO is esports/competition and forcing people to play on official servers. They tried to retain the community but implementing their versions of the popular mods but again it lacked community and server admins/management.

The limited beta leaked last night. I might pull it down tonight and just poke around in console and see whats under the hood.

As far as I knew, Counter Strike was originally a mod using Half-Life as the base game. This remained true when it went retail and that's about the time I quit playing it. Then it remained pretty much unchanged until Counter Strike Source came out then it got the upgrade to CS:GO. I don't think it's changed engines or been iterated on more than that. I don't remember Counter Strike Condition Zero, but if it predates source then it was most likely on the original Half-Life engine.

only when change and progression are really downgrades and regression
When they converted Counter Strike: Source from GoldSrc to Orangebox Engine it was a literal shit show from every aspect. It broke EVERY mod, the game felt like complete shit and a bunch of changes nobody wanted and that bogged the game down were forced.
I was in the CSGO Closed beta and you could get the game to be as good as CSS GoldSrc by running it at 170 tick. Then they removed tickrate. Valve also kinda middle fingered the community side by implementing restrictions in order for CSGO servers to show up in the browser. All they cared about in CSGO is esports/competition and forcing people to play on official servers. They tried to retain the community but implementing their versions of the popular mods but again it lacked community and server admins/management.

The limited beta leaked last night. I might pull it down tonight and just poke around in console and see whats under the hood.
Counter-Strike: Source was always running on Source (the "Orangebox Engine" as you describe), not GoldSrc. The original Counter-Strike ran on GoldSrc since it was a Half-Life mod. CS 1.6 was the last version running on GoldSrc.

To give him credit he might have conflated Source Engine v1/whatever and Gold Source when thinking about then the Orange Box Source Engine upgrade, which I can't recall myself (the time/when it happened/whatever crap/bugs got introduced with the upgrade)

Shit happens

Counter-Strike: Source was always running on Source (the "Orangebox Engine" as you describe), not GoldSrc. The original Counter-Strike ran on GoldSrc since it was a Half-Life mod. CS 1.6 was the last version running on GoldSrc.
It was actually Source, got the engine names mixed up. Orange box(Source 2007) was not was it was launched on. It was ported to orange box engine by Hidden Path Entertainment and launched on May 7, 2010.

To give him credit he might have conflated Source Engine v1/whatever and Gold Source when thinking about then the Orange Box Source Engine upgrade, which I can't recall myself (the time/when it happened/whatever crap/bugs got introduced with the upgrade)

Shit happens
This exactly

Counterstrike players either absolutely hate any type of progress
If going from Battlefield 3 to 4 to 5 to 2042 is "progress", then I'm with the CS players on this one.

"Hey guys, we've played football on a rectangular field for 100 years, lets change it up and play on a circular field from now on. 'yasss progresssss'..."

If going from Battlefield 3 to 4 to 5 to 2042 is "progress", then I'm with the CS players on this one.

"Hey guys, we've played football on a rectangular field for 100 years, lets change it up and play on a circular field from now on. 'yasss progresssss'..."
Yeah, some things just shouldn't be messed with.

Pretty sure the COD dev's consider it progress when they release each successive piece of trash. I'd be fine with CS:GO staying the same for another 10 years.

Beyond Global...so like, Counterstrike in space?

Yawn...

Interesting idea they're doing having rank based on map.

I can say for certain that my win rate was wayyyy lower on a map like Vertigo than it was on a classic map.

There's not much else you can really add to that game without breaking it, in my opinion.

Interesting idea they're doing having rank based on map.

I can say for certain that my win rate was wayyyy lower on a map like Vertigo than it was on a classic map.

There's not much else you can really add to that game without breaking it, in my opinion.

I only play office, dust 2, and office

Either open beta like the Dota 2 reborn client or release, I guess

open beta happened 2 weeks ago

If you have a premium account and have a rank in csgo then they let you in.
It was a limited test, not open beta. The fact that you needed a premium account and rank means it wasn't open, by definition.

Back