Couldn't install windows 10 on laptop unless legacy mode was enabled

Gabe3

2[H]4U
So I replaced the screen on a friend's laptop and they forgot the password(its not stolen, had her name on the login screen). legacy mode was disabled in the bios to begin with. windows install keeps failing at the "Getting devices ready" part. it gets to that part then goes into a boot loop. I formatted the partitions with the installer and deleted them before clicking next to install windows. eventually the only thing that would work is enabling legacy mode. and after I installed windows, I went into the bios and disabled legacy to see if it would still boot, nope. so doesn't really make sense since the windows install that was booting had legacy mode disabled.

thinking about it now, is this cause of the new screen? its an hp 17-g121wm

So I replaced the screen on a friend's laptop and they forgot the password(its not stolen, had her name on the login screen). legacy mode was disabled in the bios to begin with. windows install keeps failing at the "Getting devices ready" part. it gets to that part then goes into a boot loop. I formatted the partitions with the installer and deleted them before clicking next to install windows. eventually the only thing that would work is enabling legacy mode. and after I installed windows, I went into the bios and disabled legacy to see if it would still boot, nope. so doesn't really make sense since the windows install that was booting had legacy mode disabled.

update the bios.

What happened? Do you mean Windows no longer offers to change your password after you typed it wrong for 3 times in a row? :LOL:

Reactions: Gabe3
like this

HP is "#%¤%&& when it comes to whitelisting systems on hardware, but I dont think that applies to screens for them. Its more WIFI modules, memory and other things they want to sell their own parts, and prevent people getting better and cheaper parts elsewhere.

In your case, I suspect your harddrive got formatted with MBR instead of GPT when you reinstalled windows, since it boots to windows in legacy mode and not in UEFI. You can check that with instructions from this link (disk manager in windows) and also see which method you wish to use to convert it to GPT if it indeed is MBR. :)

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-move-bios-uefi-windows-10

Back