Could you help me with weird Steam issue?

uacn8

Weaksauce
Hello [H]'s,

I'm at fresh G73JH with 8.74 radeon drivers and Windows7 64 pro. I've just installed steam to have fun with recent games I got there, and it's working flawlessy till the moment I try to install a game.

When I click 'install game' on whatever app, steam just freezes and shuts down. I get standard win7 error message about application not working any more. It's weird, because my system is completely new,
fresh and free of for example shitty asus apps.

Any idea what's going on? I'm feeling weird, I can browse Steam resources but I can't install shit, because it shuts down every time I try.

Any possible solutions to this? It's kinda depressing.

Last edited:
Maybe something to do with when it's trying to access the HD? Does it say anything about "Groove.dll" etc? When I last had this steam problem when I went to my game library it would crash becausde of some conflict with Groove/dll which was a by product of Office 2003 or something. I uninstalled Office and it worked afterwards. Don't know if this helps but it sounds like something to do with explorer/hard drive accessing.

I'd try a standard reinstall of steam to be honest, uninstall the app and then find the directory where it was installed and make sure it hasn't left behind any files. Then download a new copy of steam and install that, let it update and try another game install.

I don't have office installed, and reinstalling steam does not work. I removed any creative software I've found, but that didn't worked as well.

Make sure you have all windows updates installed. Also, update your video card drivers, 8.74 is really old.

The problem was related to third party software - ati tray tools. After uninstall, everything's just blazing. Thanks for suggestions and patience.

Back