could use some help pinning down an issue - g-sync related?

Momo

Gawd
Sometimes, not all, but only when cold booting after bios screen goes awy and.. i think... after loading windows screen goes away during that transition i get horizontal artifact looking lines across a black screen, for maybe a few seconds and then the monitor says no input and just presents the black screen and gsync light goes white (no gsync).
Usually i just use the reset button and it boots fine. This time i figured i'd at least try checking for a loose cable. These displayport cables lock in place, it wasn't loose. So i unplugged and moved it to another slot, and bam moniot detected signal and we're gsyncing away at the windows PIN screen.

Obviously there's a lot at play here. I imagine the handshake between the display and video card is more complex, when gsync is ON.

for reference, vieo card is msi gtx 1070, monitor is asus PG279Q
running windows 10, fresh install of creators update and latest Nvidia drivers.

so... where does one start? simply reinstall drivers? or is this more likely a hardware issue?

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I just tried a different displayport cable, the issue occurred first cold boot when i got home tonight.
Except, this time, there was no artifact-ish horizontal lines at all. Just the black monitor then monitor no signal.
This is clearly happening after the Loading Windows spinner goes away, and the screen tries to.... change resolution? load the driver fully?

... doesn't appear to be a cable issues.

The same thing happened when i moved the DP cable to a different port on the video card - immediately i got windows desktop (i had already entered my PIN, with the black screen).

Oddly, the desktop itself was 1080p, in the top left corner. bottom and right side were black - start menu was in correct place at bottom of screen below the black area. This resolved itself after maybe 15 seconds.

ah hrrrrmmmm... the only thing not showing at the bottom right in the taskbar was nvidia geforce experience. It should have been loaded but was not. I guess i'll uninstall that whole suite, run a reg cleanup, and install again.

i hadnt had any issue for a few days now, since Sunday.
Had the issue recur tonight, unplugged the display port cable from video card and plugged it into all of the other ports on it. No dice.

Starting to wonder if this is a video card issue. Gonna try a simple re-seat and see how often if at all it recurs.

well wtf - so the issue happened again just now. This time, i tried the DP cable in all the GPU slots. no dice.
So i unplugged the GPU DP cable, and replaced it with the original cable. Plugged that into the display and it's alive.

Frustrating.

Back