Could someone shed some light on this Seagate Law Suite email I just received

Why not just put the windows recognized storage space on the front of the box? Add some decimals in and all of a sudden it's even more "techy" and there's no discrepancies to confuse people with.

It's because the HD manufacturer-recognized measures are actually the correct ones. Just because it's a computer or software doesn't allow Microsoft to redefine the SI unit "G" to mean 2^30 instead of 10^9. Microsoft should have had the intelligence and guts to start dispensing with the binary-based consumer-unfriendly notation when they came out with the latest OS, but they didn't.

Microsoft does however include the full measure in bytes, and if you're not an idiot and not a money grubbing lawyer, you should be able to see the correspondence between that and the stated HD capacity and be OK with that part.

Microsoft's "GB" measure however looks out of whack and that's what should be changed. It's the standard. Linux is starting to adopt GiB when needed for base 2. People who deal with measures generally agree that having G mean two different things according to the user and implied context is a bad thing, and support the usage as per SI and the wiki.

Alternatively, you could try starting a lawsuit against Cisco and the IEEE, etc., complaining that your gigabit network doesn't run at 1,073,741,824 b/s. This is indeed the nature of the complaint -- that when you buy a 100 GB drive, you don't get 107,374,182,400 bytes and merely get 100,000,000,000 bytes. Now that would make just too much sense wouldn't it?

No offend. I think people like you who blame consumers' ignorance are absolutely ridiculous. When companies advertise their drives for every consumer actually gets 7% less, a 12 year old can understand he is been cheated. This is business DECEPTION!!! Yeah, yeah, yeah, you might say that they put a good fine print saying "actual storage less" or "1Gb=100,000,000" something whatever in the back of the box. Truth is... these labels doesn't justify their deception at all, but only makes the deception harder to sue. Besides, ain't nobody gonna read that crap. All consumers know is that their drive ends up only showing less in the computer. That is, they were cheated by companies that try to justify themselves with all those terminologies, binary, decimal, whatever. Companies cheat only a tiny bit from each and every one of us and had the cost diluted to million consumers while making millions of profits. I agree, it is stupid to initiate class action, caused people only get like few bucks at the end of couple years. But those who start it are absolutely admirable, for they sacrifice their time to make their voices heard. BTW, it is none of your business how much the attorney is profiting, as long as he does a good job trying to win the case. (It is not your money anyways.)

Last, I would like to reiterate my points.
-When consumers think they will get does not match what they actually get, it is not their faults.
-If every company does something, it DOESN'T justify an action. It only create a false impression that it is ok to deceive consumer.
-Company will and continue will deceive consumers in ways that are legal, or technically illegal but unenforceable, unless the government starts to act on behalf of we the consumers!!!

Please show some respect to mad men going after giant corporation.

By XZ

Wow, necro-thread! FYI, welcome to [H]Forum!

If your going to go after Seagate, I think you should go after the whole damn system, like internet service providers who use misleading terminology to sell service based on speed, gas stations who charge per $0.099 to make their gas seem cheaper, companies that conveniently switch between metric and imperial to confuse consumers, etc. Stuff that is intentional, not that is part of system that is common knowledge and then targeting the company that you've spend the most money on or that has had the most profitable year.

One certainly doesn't expect see a thread they posted in from 7 years ago pop up.

I haven't checked in Windows 8 yet, but as of Windows 7, MS is still using GB for 2^30, as much as I would have disagreed back in 2007 I think its time for them to follow other OSes and switch to using "GiB".

It will be a cold day in hell before I ever say "Gibibyte", though. I do use MiB, GiB, TiB now so I've softened on the issue since back in the day

Back