could P6T SE really handle a i7 970?

DeFex

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - June 2011
I have this motherboard with an i7 920 on it, but it looks like i will get (given or very cheap anyways) an i7 970.

The Asus website says that CPU is supported, but even the i7 920 i have does not overclock much past 3.3 with it, and I have a feeling it will "just about work, but dont expect much OC" The cpus both have the same TDP, but as we know that is not how much power it actually uses, just the thermal design of the CPU package.

I was thinking i need to get something a bit newer, with beefy power regulators, I am hoping to get close to 4GHz

I have a 720 watt corsair PSU, and nothing too fancy in the video card department, just a single Nvidia quatro 4700 (might upgrade it to one of the newer mid end gaming card, but only a single card, so m-atx is ok).
Cooling is a Corsair H50 with push-pull fans, it works well when folding the i7 does not go over 65-70c depending what core you look at. (but if i have to change that for the new CPU, no problem.
Storage is just an SSD for OS and 1TB HDD, everything else is kept on NAS

Any recommendations?
Over the last few years i have bought Asus and Gigabyte motherboards, i like both of those brands, but i might be persuaded to get something else.

3.3 only o/clock on a 920DO ..any 920 will do about 3.6 with stk volts by just setting the bclk up to 170 or so.. if asus has a bios for the 970 then you are fine ..the board you have is a real decent board and you should be able to get a mild o/clock..you dont seem to have experience in o/clocking so you would have to play and see what you can do with the board....
I wouldnt hesitate to put the 970 in that board...

I believe my OC limitation is more the CPU than the board, it is a C0/C1 I have done some decent OC with other chips before, right back to ye olde bh6, this combination has just not done much in the way of OC.

I guess i will try the CPU on this board and see what it can do.

thanks for the thumbs up on the motherboard though, im happy ot to have to spend more money :)

Last edited:
Back