Could memtest86 solve a memory issue?

Flybye

Limp Gawd
Yeah I know its just a tester, but here is what happened:

Gaming box was randomly shutting down like someone pulled the power plug. Almost never in windows but almost always in different games and Valley Benchmark

-I tried a different PSU - same thing
-I switched from an 980Ti to an ATI 4670 - same thing
-Temps are fine in GPU and CPU
-Prime95 would stay stable overnight.
-I ran memtest86 for 8 passes. It took 12+ hours - NO errors.

For the heck of it I decided to just try a game after the long memtest, and the system DIDNT shut down! I switched back to the 980Ti, and rig is still running fine. I just played Doom for about 30 minutes when the system would previously shut down within a few minutes of playing Doom.

So could memtest have done something to the ram? I never reseated my ram, and I wouldnt think it was the reseating of the 980ti because the system was still doing the same thing with the ATI card. It was ONLY after I ran memtest that the rig fixed itself. So either a fluke or memtest actually did something to the ram.

Well, back in the day there was always talk about burning in a new system providing more benefit than just weeding out early failing parts but it was largely unsubstantiated.

I'd bet yourstill on the very edge of instability and would recommend reseating everything including the RAM and ensuring the BIOS is up to date and hope for the best.

Good luck.

Its an old rig on an EVGA Z68 board with a 3770k at 4.5ghz. Saddly, the last bios EVGA put out was in 2013. Its been fine all these years.

So I suppose its either something about to give out or maybe just a fluke, but at least I know it is unlikely that memtest was able to do anything to the ram to resolve any issues so thx all.

Perhaps your overclock is on the edge of stability (because of age / length of overclock).

Back