Could GTX7xx be cancelled?

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
Considering that Titan will remain the flagship card and the GTX 600 series is doing well, I wonder if nvidia could skip the GTX7xx.

:rolleyes: That makes, no sense.... Why not make the 7xx series better then Titan? Or make the 7xx series just 20% better then 6xx series, and make a price point people can afford again?

If anything, I think maxwell based product will be pushed back to q4 2013 or q1 2014. As you said, keplers are doing well, and it gives nvidia more time to iron out kinks relate to fab or design. Of course, I'm merely speculating :)

The Nvidia roadmap shows Maxwell being pushed back to 2014. I'd expect a Kepler 700 series sometime, and Maxwell about a year afterwards.

Titan is too expensive...GTX 680 can't run Crysis 3 at 60 fps...they need to release a 700 series card that can give gamers better performance at a more reasonable price

:rolleyes: That makes, no sense.... Why not make the 7xx series better then Titan? Or make the 7xx series just 20% better then 6xx series, and make a price point people can afford again?

if its better than the titan theyr going to price it higher no way in hell am i going to buy that

1358363249_crystal-ball.jpg

See Here <------

1358363249_crystal-ball.jpg

See Here <------

your hypothesis is totally wrong though. They cannot die shrink anything without TSMC's 20nm production up and running at a level ready for that voltume, which it is not and won't be until 2014.

Whatever AMD or nvidia do this year will be done on 28nm, so no die shrinks. What is more likely to happen is a refined GK104 for a small bit more performance, maybe 10% and something similar from AMD for Tahiti.

That and the inevitable price drops on Titan, which is so overpriced it may start dropping price in a just a couple months once the initial rush is over for those who just have to have it regardless. That card's price is going to fall fast and decently far from the $1000 pricetag.

Simple question: if AMD's current lineup is not going to change until the end of the year, what motive does Nvidia have to change anything in their current lineup?

On another note, as pointed out near the end of the huge Titan review thread, while Titan does not have an Nvidia number, EVGA did kind of put a number on it. EVGA tends to include the lineup number in their part numbers, like the GTX 680 is 02G-P4-2680-KR, the GTX 580 is 015-P3-1580-AR, the GT 430 is 01G-P3-1430-LR, and so on. The EVGA GTX Titan's part number is 06G-P4-2790-KR. This implies that EVGA thinks there will be no GTX 790. Choosing 790 for a single-GPU card is also interesting. It may be that the 700 series was planned all along to be reserved for OEM-only cards, like the 100 series and the 300 series, and that the next full lineup will be the 800 series.

Going to 800 instead of 700 would also distance the next full lineup from all the obnoxiously stupid GTX 780 rumors that sprang up during the release of the 600 series and remain highly ranked on Google searches, making searching for any new info and rumors about the next lineup annoying.

Simple question: if AMD's current lineup is not going to change until the end of the year, what motive does Nvidia have to change anything in their current lineup?

This is what scares me.

Besides, as we've currently seen, the Titans are selling. And unless AMD comes out with a cheaper alternative, prices could permanently rise (realistically and hopefully they wouldn't, but it could be a possibility if the Titan is an uncontested success). When I bought my Riva Ultra TNT 2 back in 1998, that was $200. It really wasn't until the Geforce 2 Ultra a couple years later when graphics cards hit the $500 mark, and top of the line cards have never seemed to go down since.

Titan is too expensive...GTX 680 can't run Crysis 3 at 60 fps...they need to release a 700 series card that can give gamers better performance at a more reasonable price

They have a 670 which is quite affordable and you can buy two of them for Crysis which will perform better and cheaper than a single Titan. Crisis averted. (no pun intended)

Anyone looking to max out Crysis @ 60 fps can't afford to be cheap. It's going to require some a expensive hardware.

Considering that Titan will remain the flagship card and the GTX 600 series is doing well, I wonder if nvidia could skip the GTX7xx.

No it won't be "canceled". AMD will come out with there true next gen and Nvidia will follow suit.

Having your single GPU flagship card be $1000 will result in very low sales. These $200+ GPU's are already a very VERY small part of overall sales for Nvidia each year. Nvidia , if they wanted to , could back out of the consumer GPU market entirely and just pick up contracts for third party products and continue to do nicely but since there remains a strong competitor they choose to remain.

We'll get our 700 series cards when Nvidia is ready to push them out. Until then .. relax.

Yes lets cancel any and all future development. Shits fine where its at.

Get the hell off [H] with this sheeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

your hypothesis is totally wrong though. They cannot die shrink anything without TSMC's 20nm production up and running at a level ready for that voltume, which it is not and won't be until 2014.

Whatever AMD or nvidia do this year will be done on 28nm, so no die shrinks. What is more likely to happen is a refined GK104 for a small bit more performance, maybe 10% and something similar from AMD for Tahiti.

That and the inevitable price drops on Titan, which is so overpriced it may start dropping price in a just a couple months once the initial rush is over for those who just have to have it regardless. That card's price is going to fall fast and decently far from the $1000 pricetag.

Your probably correct since I've heard 0% talk about the 22nm process or any other not-yet-released gpu fabrication process for that matter from TSMC or GLoFo. But who knows what's going on secretly in the background and if in 3-4 months we start hearing things my 6 months from now prediction may actually pan out.

I do however like what others have said, in regards to AMD seems to be sitting idle and if they dont move I dont see any reason why nvidia should move beyond what they have out there now so who knows what's truly coming.

I have a feeling whatever it is in the 7xx cards, they will keep the gtx titan in mind, because they still need to sell those. Plus no new amd cards might mean no rush

I'm in the market for a new Nvidia card but I sure as hell won't put out for a Titan; maybe for $500 but not at its current price. The Titan is a niche card and won't fill the shoes of a more affordable card so they'll definitely release a 7xx series.

My quick uneducated guess is that Nvidia will not release a 780 until sales of the Titan drop down to some low number. Then BAM!!! The 780 comes out with 90-95% the speed of the Titan for $500.

The early adopters (read: Titan owners) get their "780" , 6-9 months early, but pay a $500 premium to do so. Then after the 780 has been out for a while, say 6-9 months, Titan2 comes out with same performance delta as the 680-v-Titan and it costs, wait for it, $1000.

So Nvidia give you the ability to own the NEXT generation high end card, 6-9 months early, you just have to pay a $500 premium to do so.

The HD8000 series should smoke the GTX600 series. There is massive headroom in the HD7000 series that AMD has to work with. Cancelling the GTX700 series because they have a really nice $900 card? That doesn't make sense.

People on [H] aren't figuring out the Titan wasn't designed for people like them.

The HD8000 series should smoke the GTX600 series. There is massive headroom in the HD7000 series that AMD has to work with. Cancelling the GTX700 series because they have a really nice $900 card? That doesn't make sense.

People on [H] aren't figuring out the Titan wasn't designed for people like them.

how do you know the 8000 series would smoke the previous gen there hasnt even been an architecture made for it yet and last time i checked the rumor mill only shader count was going to increase

how do you know the 8000 series would smoke the previous gen there hasnt even been an architecture made for it yet and last time i checked the rumor mill only shader count was going to increase

I already said why...

There is massive headroom in the HD7000 series that AMD has to work with.

Moore's Law

My quick uneducated guess is that Nvidia will not release a 780 until sales of the Titan drop down to some low number. Then BAM!!! The 780 comes out with 90-95% the speed of the Titan for $500.

The early adopters (read: Titan owners) get their "780" , 6-9 months early, but pay a $500 premium to do so. Then after the 780 has been out for a while, say 6-9 months, Titan2 comes out with same performance delta as the 680-v-Titan and it costs, wait for it, $1000.

So Nvidia give you the ability to own the NEXT generation high end card, 6-9 months early, you just have to pay a $500 premium to do so.

I like the angle your looking at it from. Think what I might do is buy 1 titan, then sell it when the 780s come out and use that money to cover basically all of it. Or at least use the time while I save for sli (1 will do fine I'm in no rush) to see what might come true

The 700 Series will come sooner or later. Probably be4 or after Q4 when AMD gets in their new series

Back