Could folding/DC help find a cure for the Coronavirus?

mnewxcv

[H]F Junkie
This is just a thought, but could folding and DC contribute to finding a cure or vaccine for the Coronavirus? If so, why do organizations working on this not publicize that so media outlets would suggest we all contribute in times of crisis/emergency? I know very little about the process of finding a vaccine for a virus, and know physical tests are required, but does DC or folding have anything to simulate this process enough to be helpful? I know the goal for a vaccine is 4 months out currently.

*If this thread is inappropriate for this subforum, please move or delete.

Its certainly possible but the team or company working on the virus would need to design a project and distribute work. That part is not so simple.

What motqalden says is the majority of the issue. Since the BOINC software is all open source, anyone can set up a project and run work. All they would need to do from there is advertise. If someone had a large enough batch of work to run, they could even request WCG to host their science as long as they were willing to post the data publicly after. WCG hosted sub projects for Zika, Ebola, and many others. However, WCG does not create the science. They merely provide the server and support for BOINC. The reason many of the researches don't use the public to volunteer is because they want to keep full control over the research and also want to profit from it. They need to get a return on that investment.

F@H did some work on the flu virus several years ago but the lab associated with the flu project has long since left F@H.

HIV strain found (or intentionally inserted?) in the current coronavirus? Read the abstract of the pre-print paper here. Note this paper has not yet been peer-reviewed.

What's interesting are the familiar pictures below for those contributing to protein folding project such as FAH, GPUGrid or the retired POEM project.

As a side note we have a one week challenge event running now, so help us fold more proteins.... May not be coronavirus but still be able to contribute to other diseases.

1580522190172.png

I've not ran any of them that I know of yet but that thread says they are monster work units. Some tasks had reported using up to 3.5GB of RAM each.

I've not ran any of them that I know of yet but that thread says they are monster work units. Some tasks had reported using up to 3.5GB of RAM each.

I'm not the most experienced DCer, just BOINC and rosetta@home to get these WU for coronavirus?

yes. As far as I know, they don't have an option to select these only, so make sure you monitor them on rigs without enough RAM

yes. As far as I know, they don't have an option to select these only, so make sure you monitor them on rigs without enough RAM

Nice, just started crunching on the work pc. So far nothing abnormal but who knows if I'm running the correct work units. I may be interested in the whole gridcoin thing I was reading about as well. But I won't run any of my machines if it doesn't help the [H] 😉 but that's for its own topic lol.

Awesome. Gridcoin is still a work in progress. If you want to earn a few others (BiblePay and Obyte), you can do so running WCG right now. I have links in the mining guides thread that is linked in the stickied Gridcoin thread in here or in the stickied guide thread in the mining section.

I put one rig on R@H since Feb 3rd. Hopefully can contribute a little to the search for a vaccine or a drug to combat this virus.

On similar topic, a pharma company using their proprietary algorithm is able to create a possible vaccine
We put it into our algorithm that generates the vaccines, and in two hours we had the vaccine already designed and it went straight to manufacture,

F@h also ran a unit over the last couple weeks that is supporting a vaccine, and I think they may run another soon.

Back