could anyone help to point me in the right direction? (looking at i5 gameing)

Skull_Angel

[H]ard|Gawd
hello all,

I'm currently trying to line up possible boards for an i5-750 system for mostly gaming, but also some photoshop and 3d editing, and I'm somewhat at a loss for words over the wide variety currently available (I've been reading reviews also, but I just need some good starting points to wet my feet before really jumping in and dedicating more than 10~20min of research per board). I've been mostly looking at asus, gigabyte and msi boards, not to hot for the evga boards since I haven't had much good luck with them in the past.

-I'd like to push the OC pretty good at least on the proc.; would like a stable cpu@4ghz full time (I know it can depend on the proc. though, and I've done my homework on water cooling should I need to take that rout), the video card will probably be a 5850 or 5870 (depending on how soon I upgrade my monitor, currently on a 22" running 1680:1050) with a mild oc using ccc or afterburner, ram will probably be rated for 1600 (nothing too fancy)

-it doesn't need to be feature rich; I don't need usb 3.0 and sata 6gb/s, I don't need sli/cf support, I don't need an on-board gpu (though it may be a good idea, but I don't want this to influence any decision), don't really need raid support either as my main drive will be some ssd (still unsure here, but leaning towards the x25-m since I'm unlikely to really utilize the speed of more expensive ssds), but it does need to support at the least 4 sata 3gb/s drives

-seeing as I will be using photoshop and 3d editing programs on occasion, it would be nice to be running 8gb ram (still debating 2x4gb or 4x2gb, but 2x4gb is currently in the lead)

if I think about anything else I'll update, but would appreciate any feedback.

Last edited:
yeah, I figured gigabyte would be a more popular choice, I've even suggested a good number of them to friends for their 1366 boards and they're very happy. I just don't have very much experience with the 1155 chipsets to really have any good starting point, and it's really bothering me, lol.

I'm starting to consider jumping up on the 1366 build again, I just need to start weighing prices with deals that are/may become available. this doesn't seem like it's the best time to be looking into new builds... lol

Consider the "epeen" from your gaming buddies when you show up with this water cooled wonder...:D

ScreenHunter_01Mar071348.jpg

I have played both FEAR and COD4 online with this set-up...often over 4.9GHz. ;)

after considering the cost over and over, I think I'm just going to go with an i7-930 build (<3 u microcenter, lol). no real performance boosts in gaming, but it should help more with other programs I dabble into.

1.529V...? HOLY MOLY...

That is pretty nuts voltage you have there...

Back