Cougar GX Series 900W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Cougar GX Series 900W Power Supply Review - Reading the feature set of this new power supply we see that it hits on many of the things we like in a PSU; high efficiency, high performance at 50C, good cable management, and Japanese capacitors. Of course having a great marketing sheet and having a great PSU are different things. We find out if this cougar pounces.

It gets a +1 from me just because anything with "Cougar" in it sparks my interest. :D

Good review too. 900W Gold seems to fall in between a few different markets, so I am not sure how well this will sell. Every time I read one of these reviews I learn something new about the psu industry...thanks guys.

Hmm, did not see a price listed in the conclusions or where to buy the unit. Is this another vaporware product?

Just searched Google in the Shopping section. Here is the results returned...

Your search - Cougar GX Series 900W - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords.
Try fewer keywords.

Wait.. IS IT SILVER OR GOLD APPROVED?

I NEED MORE THAN A GREEN CHECK, OH GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!

Seriously though.. wtfux?

It seems that there was a copy and paste error on the 100V Load Testing Results. The table has the same values as the 120V Load Testing and is still labeled as 120V input.

How much is this thing supposed to cost? If its relatively cheap it might be a good deal, but if it sells for a similar price to the Corsair/Seasonic/etc. PSU's then forget it.

How much is this thing supposed to cost? If its relatively cheap it might be a good deal, but if it sells for a similar price to the Corsair/Seasonic/etc. PSU's then forget it.
That is the problem with this PSUs, both the SX/SE and GX lines from Cougar are made of solid units, they are however severely overpriced..

Hmm, did not see a price listed in the conclusions or where to buy the unit. Is this another vaporware product?

Just searched Google in the Shopping section. Here is the results returned...

Your search - Cougar GX Series 900W - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords.
Try fewer keywords.

Yup, Cougar shipped this and the 1050W model to reviewers. The 1050W was released the 900W is still....stalking us I guess. We will have to revisit this once the pricing becomes available.

It seems that there was a copy and paste error on the 100V Load Testing Results. The table has the same values as the 120V Load Testing and is still labeled as 120V input.

Thanks, I messed it up when I re-edited this article recently. Getting that fixed.

No idea really. The 1050W is out, we'll have to revisit that when the 900W shows up.

The GX 900 is about 200 euros in Europe, so considering the parity of other Antec/Seasonic/etc units that would probably be ~200$ in NA, which is 60$ higher than the similarly performing Lepa G900 ;)

why do older horney women need their own brand of PSU?

Don't think of them as older. Think of them as "more experienced".

However, I agree with the review --When you're looking for a Cougar, you don't want a loose one. ;)

That is the problem with this PSUs, both the SX/SE and GX lines from Cougar are made of solid units, they are however severely overpriced..

The Cougar GX 1050W is cheaper than a Seasonic X760, a Corsair AX750, Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 850W, and a Silverstone Strider Plus Gold 750W. The 750W Toughpower Grand is priced roughly the same. Using prices over here.

The Cougar GX 1050W is cheaper than a Seasonic X760, a Corsair AX750, Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 850W, and a Silverstone Strider Plus Gold 750W. The 750W Toughpower Grand is priced roughly the same. Using prices over here.
I'll play:)
The Seasonic X units are better in every way(except for looks but that's subjective) than the Cougar GX units, they should cost more;)
The ToughPowerGrand are massively overpriced for what they are, highly efficient, interesting looking boxes of fail :)

At 200$ the GX1050 is not overpriced, but keep in mind that at some point it was 290$ and without that massive rebate it would still cost 270$ ;)

I'll play:)
The Seasonic X units are better in every way(except for looks but that's subjective) than the Cougar GX units, they should cost more;)
The ToughPowerGrand are massively overpriced for what they are, highly efficient, interesting looking boxes of fail :)

At 200$ the GX1050 is not overpriced, but keep in mind that at some point it was 290$ and without that massive rebate it would still cost 270$ ;)

The GX1050 is $200???

The GX 1050's introductory price here was $180, converted. It's $165 now.

The Seasonic X760 is $210, the Corsair AX750 is $205.

better in every way

No, it's "worse" in a sense in the wattage department. :p

Do provide a link to support that please:)

http://tipidpc.com/useritems.php?username=PCHub

Use Php 43= $1

EDIT: Sorry about the earlier prices though, looks like I was looking at the 850W prices of the Seasonic and Corsair. Check that link, and the X750 is just slightly more expensive than the Cougar GX1050. That's not the only seller here though, that's one of the cheapest so prices would vary. The GX 1050 has a smaller range though, 7000-7300php. The X760 ranges in prices from 7270-7800php, while the AX750 ranges from 8370-8800php.

Last edited:
http://tipidpc.com/useritems.php?username=PCHub

Use Php 43= $1

EDIT: Sorry about the earlier prices though, looks like I was looking at the 850W prices of the Seasonic and Corsair. Check that link, and the X750 is just slightly more expensive than the Cougar GX1050. That's not the only seller here though, that's one of the cheapest so prices would vary. The GX 1050 has a smaller range though, 7000-7300php. The X760 ranges in prices from 7270-7800php, while the AX750 ranges from 8370-8800php.

Then the GX line is worth considering in the Philippines, however that can't be said about Europe or NA where this units generally cost a lot more than they are worth, although rebates help in that respect when they do appear;)

Back