Couch Co-Op Games

Oldie

Mean Old Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking for some recommendations for games that don't require a ton of GPU and feature co-op game play for 2 or more individuals in the same room sharing a television. My sister has a laptop she's using as an HTPC and is looking for some games she and her 10-year old daughter can play together with it using some xbox controllers. She's got all of the Lego games and some shoot em up's we found and is looking for pretty much any genre...as long as it doesn't require a discrete GPU. Any recommendations?

I'm playing dungeon defenders with the kids and is pretty fun. However I'm not sure of the hardware requirements. There are some racing games that would work as well. Looking forward to other replies since I'm in the same situation.

Trine series, orcs must die, gianna sisters (recent discovery and highly recommended). I am a little annoyed by a few games that have removed the same screen from the PC releases. Resident evil 5 and plants vs zombies garden warfare. Interested in this thread too.

Trine series, orcs must die, gianna sisters (recent discovery and highly recommended). I am a little annoyed by a few games that have removed the same screen from the PC releases. Resident evil 5 and plants vs zombies garden warfare. Interested in this thread too.

Not sure how many of those are split/local co-op. The trine series are but i don't believe orcs must die has it. Orcs must die 2 has lan support but not sure if there is split screen. Plants vs zombies warfare isn't local co-op which is disappointing and confusing since Xbox one and ps4 have local support. I bought it thinking it had split screen and now might have to buy a second copy so we can play on lan.

Nidhogg - a great fencing game - me and my sons have gotten hours of enjoyment from it..

for reviews checkout http://www.co-optimus.com/

also I don[t know if it'll run on the intel chip she has but look into Magicka.. my 10yo has loved that game (local coop for 4) for years now

Trine (all of them, 3 player obviously)
Octodad: Dadliest Catch (4 player hilarity! each player controls different limbs of the same character)
The Cave (3 player puzzle-solving adventure - great game!)
Blur (4-player split-screen racing, like Mario-cart only with real cars)
Castle Crashers (up to 4 player casual hack-n-slash/RPG)
Hammer Watch (not sure how many players, retro dungeon crawler)
Serious Sam: BFE (one of the only split-screen shooters I'm aware of)
Borderlands (#?) (I've heard this one has split-screen coop, but never got it to work)
Worms (not sure which one is the latest, but these are great same-screen MP strategy/blowing stuff up games)
Street Fighter, or other fighting games.

Edit - oops, skimmed over the part where these need to run with onboard graphics... Octodad might work, Castle Crashers, HammerWatch, or an older version of Worms should be ok as well. The rest all have pretty graphics, so doubtful.

Last edited:
Thanks madFive! If anyone is aware of others, feel free to mention ones that do need a discrete GPU since others are interested. My HTPC is pretty beefy, so I might try some of the more intense ones at home as well.

Definitely Trine.

I don't know if Magicka allows play with a controller, but it's good.

Back