Cost to watercool--$500 too high?

Axman

VP of Extreme Liberty
Alright, looking at FrozenCPU.com, I put together some things in my head that I should buy if I go liquid.

CPU block: $60 (http://www.frozencpu.com/koo-29.html)
Video card block: $85 (http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-blc-147.html)
HDDs: $65 (http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-blc-225.html)
Chipset: $40 (http://www.frozencpu.com/koo-28.html)
Pump: $90 (http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-pmp-27.html)
Reservoir: $40 (http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-res-78.html)
Radiator: $55 (http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-rad-64.html)
Two (2) hose splitters: $25 (http://www.frozencpu.com/koo-42.html)
Hoses/ fittings/ fans/ misc.: $40

Total with estimated shipping: $500+

Am I out of my mind? Why would anyone spend this much extra? I haven't even bought a 7-series nVidia card. I still want to do it. Seems like fun. Essentially, though, I'm buying a noise management system. I don't even have a windowed case. . .(have a Dremel, though, and I do want to make a better fan mount on the side, plexiglass seems easy enough to manage) but I'll need to punch a hole above the 5 1/4" bays for a better exhaust. Modders' mesh or something.

For what it's worth, I was considering something along these lines: from the radiator, split the flow into two circuits, they join on the way to the pump, to the reservoir, and back to the radiator. The first circuit goes from the CPU to the chipset and the second circuit goes from the GPU to the harddrives.

Anyone here bother with separate circuits? Also, am I insane?

Axman

Yes, you are out of your mind. Not because of the parts you choose and such, but because it appears you are thinking of ordering from frozencpu.com. They are HORRIBLE, just do a quick search for frozencpu.com and you'll find several horror stories about them. Many, many people are out money because of them.

Ordered from frozencpu myself, not more than two months ago. No problems, quick delivery. Just sharing my experience.

first off, depending on the motherboard you choose, forget the chipset cooler, it wouldnt fit on my asus sli deluxe with my 2 7800GT video cards, so its just lying here on my desk....the video card adapters are pure sex, but i am at the same clocks as my friends who still run their cards with stock HSF, i have that same CPU adapter, (well kinda, mine connects vertically instead of horizontal...over all nice setup, all my stuff ran me 800ish

Axman said:

Like everyone else said, FrozenCPU is way overpriced. Ditch the HDD block, ditch the chipset block. You don't -need- a reservoir, and definately do more research on performance parts.

http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91

Not that I had definite plans to purchase from FrozenCPU, they have a larger selection than many other places and it was a good website to compare features and prices. Their higher prices aside.

Got any suggestions for online storefronts that do good for water-coolers?

A

Didn't notice the more specific forum. Sorry about that.

GFreeman9 said:
The new radiator im getting from Danger Den costs $44 while at FrozenCPU it costs $96. :p

Wow, thats quite the difference ... its a shame that they carry so many different items. Suprisingly they are rated quite high on www.resellerratings.com

Good to know as I was planning on getting some stuff from them in the near future.

I had no trouble with my frozencpu order either, purchased the ocz power stream from them

Aslong as you dont mind spending 50-100% more than any other store, FrozenCPU is great. Pray to god you dont have a faulty part and need an RMA though... the owner is a huge asshole.

dangerden.com has ALWAYS provided me with good pricing, fast shipment, and great customer service ....I won't buy my water cooling stuff from anywhere else....

I am fixing to get a 120mm rad and DC pump from them.....

Not only is everything you selected incredibly overpriced, it would also perform incredibly poorly. I'd bet that with everything you selected your CPU temps would be lower with good aircooling. My advice for your loop:

Swiftech MCW6002-64 $45
Danger Den Maze 4 GPU Acetal $50
Danger Den D4 $80
T-Line $3
HWLabs BIP2 $40
1/2" Tubing $15
Fans $20
Fittings, etc. $10

Total: $263

These parts would get you much better temps than the ones you selected and if you want to save even more money you can buy these parts on HardForum or Anandtech.

at the time it was the cheapest ocz power stream I could find, believe it was 129 shipped. This was 2 or 3 months ago.

Not only is everything you selected incredibly overpriced, it would also perform incredibly poorly.

Overpriced I see. No doubt. Why poorly? Honestly, I'm not defending my choices; I'm just unawares. Is it the separate circuits?

I like the implementation of a T-line over a reservoir; it's sensible. I'm not in it for the bling, I'm in it because I bought hardware meant for real performance and I want to give it the room it needs to fly. Fly quietly.

HiJon89 said:
Not only is everything you selected incredibly overpriced, it would also perform incredibly poorly. I'd bet that with everything you selected your CPU temps would be lower with good aircooling. My advice for your loop:

Swiftech MCW6002-64 $45
Danger Den Maze 4 GPU Acetal $50
Danger Den D4 $80
T-Line $3
HWLabs BIP2 $40
1/2" Tubing $15
Fans $20
Fittings, etc. $10

Total: $263

These parts would get you much better temps than the ones you selected and if you want to save even more money you can buy these parts on HardForum or Anandtech.

DD is the best. I only buy from them.

DD TDX + D5 pump for $108 GREAT DEAL!!!

those watercooling blocks for vid cards that claim to cool the memory is a waste.

get a good maze4gpu block and some quality copper ramsinks. And mount a slow speed fan in your side panel or onto the card blowing ove rthe ram, it'll overclock better than that other bigass block.

and the core will get a lower temp because it actualy has good contact, on my [email protected] i get 34C idle compared to a lot of people i have seen with the full cool the memory too coolers struggling to get 40C idle i load somewhere around 40~42C

Axman said:
Overpriced I see. No doubt. Why poorly? Honestly, I'm not defending my choices; I'm just unawares. Is it the separate circuits?

I like the implementation of a T-line over a reservoir; it's sensible. I'm not in it for the bling, I'm in it because I bought hardware meant for real performance and I want to give it the room it needs to fly. Fly quietly.
Well all of the blocks you picked out use very tiny tubing and are extremely restrictive which means that the amount of waterflow is very small. Combine that with the fact that you planned on having 4 restrictive blocks in your loop powered by a single D5 pump, and there's a good chance the water in your tubing wouldn't move at all :p Also, you're planning on cooling CPU, GPU, HDD, and chipset all with only a single 120mm radiator (A bad 120mm radiator at that). For that much heat output you would need a PA120.3 or maybe even a monstercore. My recommendation is to ditch HDD and chipset, and just cool the CPU and GPU with the parts I selected, it should shave 10C off of the parts you picked.

Drop the HDD/chipset blocks. Get rid of that crappy radiator too. Get yourself a Black Ice radiator. Also, switch out the Koolance CPU block for a Swiftech Storm. And switch out the Koolance GPU block for an ASUS block. Get RAMsinks for your video memory. :)

This is some good advice, even for being in the wrong place. Thanks, and I'll keep reading if you all keep advising.

A

correct me if Iam wrong but didnt topnurse spend like $2000 on WC gear?

$500 isnt exactly cheep but $2000 now thats insane especially for an AC setup. For hat kind of cash I'am talking multiple phase change.

kleox64 said:

$500 isnt exactly cheep but $2000 now thats insane especially for an AC setup. For hat kind of cash I'am talking multiple phase change.

But then you wouldn't get all those fancy doodads and thingamajigs that AC puts with all their stuff!!

In all honesty though everyone has different goals in their cooling.

kleox64 said:

Yeah, but my rig doesn't sound like a drinking fountain cooler. :eek: It looks way cooler than your machine and I made it. Therefore it is the best. :D

However, getting back to the OP I can say that $500 for a dual loop system isn't to out of line in the $$ department. Since silence is golden why not go for an AC system and put a window on the case?

Top Nurse said:
Since silence is golden why not go for an AC system and put a window on the case?

Cost, Performance, Hassle in getting the gear to name a few :p

Erasmus354 said:
Cost, Performance, Hassle in getting the gear to name a few :p
Jealous? Please show your overclocks on that nice watercooling setup you have and lets see if it is better than us AC people are getting.

R1ckCa1n said:

Not at all, TN asked for a few reasons and I named a few...I dont see you trying to refute any of the reasons I put forth. I dont see why you have to turn this into a personal attack, I dont recall myself saying AC gear is bad. I merely stated that it is expensive (I doubt you will have an argument there), hard to get a hold of (once again you'd be crazy to dispute this), and not necessarily the best performance. The only thing you might have a shot at disputing was the performance, but since there is no data on any AC gear...well...you dont have much of an argument.

TN made a little tongue in cheek (or used car salesman sometimes I cant make up my mind) about AC gear. I replied in kind, if you need to try to turn this into a personal attack on myself please take it to PM.

Erasmus354 said:
Not at all, TN asked for a few reasons and I named a few...I dont see you trying to refute any of the reasons I put forth. I dont see why you have to turn this into a personal attack, I dont recall myself saying AC gear is bad. I merely stated that it is expensive (I doubt you will have an argument there), hard to get a hold of (once again you'd be crazy to dispute this), and not necessarily the best performance. The only thing you might have a shot at disputing was the performance, but since there is no data on any AC gear...well...you dont have much of an argument.

TN made a little tongue in cheek (or used car salesman sometimes I cant make up my mind) about AC gear. I replied in kind, if you need to try to turn this into a personal attack on myself please take it to PM.
I guess the point is if you don't have postive things to contribute to a thread, dont. It's like you go out of your way to try to discredit anything at doesn't go with your beliefs.

Erasmus354 said:
The only thing you might have a shot at disputing was the performance, but since there is no data on any AC gear...well...you dont have much of an argument.
Except actually owning every block commercially made? I will take my personal experience over any review site using a die simulator and purdy graphs.

Back on topic: I'm in over 3,000.00 in goods and don't feel like I have spent enough money. By the end of this month I will release my eight block dual loop system :)

R1ckCa1n said:
Back on topic: I'm in over 3,000.00 in goods and don't feel like I have spent enough money. By the end of this month I will release my eight block dual loop system :)

Good for you, I am glad you are enjoying yourself and your purchases. I am sure they meet your needs more then adequately or else you would not come back for more. There is nothing wrong with that and I have nothing wrong with that. I am sorry if me pointing out the shortcomings of a product you uses offends you. I take a more utilitarian approach to the things I do, and your argument about overclocks is circular. "If AC gear gets the same overclock as Storm gear, why get the 'better performing' block over the AC gear. Conversely why get the more expensive AC gear over the less expensive Storm block?" In the end it comes down to whichever you prefer.

Erasmus354 said:
Good for you, I am glad you are enjoying yourself and your purchases. I am sure they meet your needs more then adequately or else you would not come back for more. There is nothing wrong with that and I have nothing wrong with that. I am sorry if me pointing out the shortcomings of a product you uses offends you. I take a more utilitarian approach to the things I do, and your argument about overclocks is circular. "If AC gear gets the same overclock as Storm gear, why get the 'better performing' block over the AC gear. Conversely why get the more expensive AC gear over the less expensive Storm block?" In the end it comes down to whichever you prefer.
Who said my new build isn't based on one loop with only a Storm block? ;) And who said you can't get plug n cool connectors on a Storm? :cool:

It is easy to still spend 3k on other AC stuff. Sad part is your perceived "shortcomings" are what makes these products so great.

new.JPG

R1ckCa1n said:
It is easy to still spend 3k on other AC stuff. Sad part is your perceived "shortcomings" are what makes these products so great.

I fail to see how "expensive" and "hard to get" make something great. Those can be by products of something being good, but they certainly dont make something good.

Erasmus354 said:
I fail to see how "expensive" and "hard to get" make something great. Those can be by products of something being good, but they certainly dont make something good.
Hard to get is a perception. If you want something bad enough, you will find a way to get it. Plus who wants something that everyone else has? I am not a "me too" kind of guy. Hence a Storm with a Thermochill running on plug n cool connectors (8mm ID).

Back