Cost-effective way to get Plex onto TV?

Rockferd

Feelz
I started using Plex a little while ago and love it. My only issue is, I don't want to be using my gaming rig to simply stream videos. So what currently is the best way to get Plex on my TV? I've seen those android sticks, but I've heard of a lot of stability issues as well. What do you all use for your Plex streaming needs?

Roku2 XS, $99, 1080p/5.1, HDMI, wired/wireless connect, netflix, Hulu, etc all as bonus when using plex.

a number of google TV products are also an option, potentially more responsive than a Roku.

There are better android sticks that are basically re-branded versions of the cheaper ones you can buy. Some of them look like the various software is vetted better. Best bet would be to hunt around Plex's site for success stories for the various devices stick or set top box or what have you.

Last edited:
Roku2 XS, $99, 1080p/5.1, HDMI, wired/wireless connect, netflix, Hulu, etc all as bonus when using plex.

This. Easy to set up, easy for other people to understand, control it with your Harmony remote,

I bought a refurb for $50 (1 Sale a Day, I think). Best purchase I've made in a long time. The thing is amazing. Plex is super easy with it. Just an excellent product.

Are you able to change Plex themes on the Roku? Do you get all the Plex content like your channels? I've seen some awesome sales on Rokus.. one of the things I enjoy the most on the Plex is uniform UI/content across all my devices.

For something cheaper than that, you could get one of those android set top boxes off of ebay, they go for anywhere from 40-150 bucks, and tend to include a remote, and single dual or quad core processor. Just grab one of those and install the android plex client and your set to go!

Seconded. You'll still need another PC around running the Media Server portion but setup is a breeze.

Back