• Microphone: $21-22, Speakers: $16-18
  • PCB+FPC: $40-45
  • RAM+ROM storage part: $40-45
  • Other chipsets such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, PMIC, etc. total: $60-70
  • Total cooling module: $70
  • Other auxiliary accessories: $30-40
  • Assembly: $110-120

https://xrdailynews.com/en/apple-vr-ar-headset-bill-of-materials-is-1500/
So, you are saying it'll retail for $10-$15K if the BOM for apple is just under $1,400... Right?

You have not been paying attention, have you?

1684714436608.png

The rumors that have been circling for about a year have stated that the headset would be around $3000 and aimed at devs, not consumers.

More recent rumors are stating that they're going to price it more aggressively and not really try to make profit but instead get penetration. We'll see what they actually end up doing.

Damn, people line up and pay so they'll keep raking it up.
The Pro stand was “over priced”, but the Pro Display XDR very much is not.
Considering the market it was targeted for, it wasn't entirely unreasonable. But again, everybody thinks "they're the target market" when they see something selling.

The reality is both the Pro Display XDR and Stand (if you bought it, likely a lot of Pros just VESA mounted it, which was the reason why the stand was sold separately in the first place) were both items that sold to a very small user base.

That's only half of it. You got apple zealots lining up to take pictures like it's art too.

View attachment 571819
The purpose of that wasn't to "take photos of the stand". It was there to demonstrate Apple's AR technology. "Reality Kit", "Reality Composer", and "ARKit 3" were headline presentations at WWDC 2019. The "demo" would show the Display XDR on the stand through your phone - so you could "see it" in 3 dimensional space. Did some journalists take photos of the stand? Yes. But that wasn't its intended purpose.

Last edited:
I mean the stand is a meme but Apple didn't want to make them, people who bought the monitors are all using mounts for their workstations, not the stand. So there was no scale for that manufacturing set so they charged you for it as they were basically made to order.

And besides the stand was nothing compared to the cost of the wheels for the Apple Mac Pro which were another $1200 or so when they came out.
https://www.apple.com/ca_edu_93120/shop/product/MX572ZM/A/apple-mac-pro-wheels-kit

I mean the stand is a meme but Apple didn't want to make them, people who bought the monitors are all using mounts for their workstations, not the stand. So there was no scale for that manufacturing set so they charged you for it as they were basically made to order.

And besides the stand was nothing compared to the cost of the wheels for the Apple Mac Pro which were another $1200 or so when they came out.
https://www.apple.com/ca_edu_93120/shop/product/MX572ZM/A/apple-mac-pro-wheels-kit
Caster wheels that swivel for 1200 I crazy

Caster wheels that swivel for 1200 I crazy
They are ones that are extra over engineered though. There is no "center hub" there, and they roll and rotate buttery smooth and have zero flex. I'm not sure if it's ball bearings or what, but definitely a product you would notice a difference on if you have to move your tower frequently.

Overpriced? Perhaps, but there isn't another product that does similar.

They are ones that are extra over engineered though. There is no "center hub" there, and they roll and rotate buttery smooth and have zero flex. I'm not sure if it's ball bearings or what, but definitely a product you would notice a difference on if you have to move your tower frequently.

Overpriced? Perhaps, but there isn't another product that does similar.
I dont doubt the over engineering done on them my old solution to moving my tower works for me.
Screenshot_20230521_190706.jpg

On one hand, whatever Apple comes up with will likely be insanely expensive (even for the hardware inside), depend on a lot of proprietary software and perhaps hardware, and there will be a whole cadre of people who will act as though Apple basically invented VR/AR. On the other, I can at least look forward to the next generation of VR/AR being sure they compete with Apple in whatever design (most likely over performance) methodology ; if that means something lighter, latest gen pancake lenses etc.. so be it, and will also end up invigorating the VR market again. I can only hope that Valve' GabeN is taking notes to improve what will come from " Project Deckard" and will be a FOSS, Linux friendly platform independent , PC focused and privacy respecting high end follow up to Index.

Oh and as far as casters, I remember paying a moderate fee to upgrade to casters on my CaseLabs case and there were two options besides standard case feet; standard casters, and HD ones. Taking the HD option for a fraction of the cost of Apples' MacPro casters got me a set of very smooth, omnidirectional, locking casters more akin to high end office chair rather than one made for typical shelving/storage racks or PC cases. It was worth the cost as iI've never had any difficulty pushing the big tower over carpet and hardwood alike, but I admit they don't have the shiny polished factor of Apple's MacPro offering.

I think I'm just too poor to understand the Apple pricing nowadays.
What's funny is the poor buy Apple products, which are the same people who buy Gucci bags. People with money don't go and spend a lot for a phone, and they'll likely not upgrade said phone for many years. Just look at the cars some of the wealthy drive, it's usually some old junk. The poor and middle class have something to prove, hence why I've seen people who are homeless with an iPhone that cost $1k. Can't afford a place to take a shit, but they can absolutely find the money for a brand new iPhone.

I’m not understanding all the hate for pricing here. I’d love to have a Koenigsegg in my driveway but I’m not going to call up Christian and bitch about it or go to various automotive forums complaining I can’t buy one because I’m too poor.

My god, the entitlement displayed here is just mindblowing…

I’m not understanding all the hate for pricing here. I’d love to have a Koenigsegg in my driveway but I’m not going to call up Christian and bitch about it or go to various automotive forums complaining I can’t buy one because I’m too poor.

My god, the entitlement displayed here is just mindblowing…
Comparing mass produced tech to a bespoke automaker might the the most idiotic comparison I've heard this year.

Comparing mass produced tech to a bespoke automaker might the the most idiotic comparison I've heard this year.

I can make the comparison to anything over the median price of a car if that makes you feel better. How about a Tesla X? Shall I call up Elon Musk and complain that his SUV costs more than I can afford (wanting to afford or actually able to afford)?

I can make the comparison to anything over the median price of a car if that makes you feel better. How about a Tesla X? Shall I call up Elon Musk and complain that his SUV costs more than I can afford (wanting to afford or actually able to afford)?
Actually, you should. Tesla quality control is garbage. No way in hell I would ever pay those prices for the shit quality they put out.

Actually, you should. Tesla quality control is garbage. No way in hell I would ever pay those prices for the shit quality they put out.

I had a BMW M2 and MK 7.5 Golf R and ditched them both to consolidate into a Model 3 Performance while I hunt for a P car. 100% happy, will never go back for a daily driver. Suspension being too soft is my only complaint, interior build quality and panel gap are perfect. Zero issues so far.

Meanwhile, my POS Expedition Platinum Max is on its third transmission.

Also have a loaded 14in MBP. #triggered

I had a BMW M2 and MK 7.5 Golf R and ditched them both to consolidate into a Model 3 Performance while I hunt for a P car. 100% happy, will never go back for a daily driver. Suspension being too soft is my only complaint, interior build quality and panel gap are perfect. Zero issues so far.

Meanwhile, my POS Expedition Platinum Max is on its third transmission.

Also have a loaded 14in MBP. #triggered
Your money, enjoy it however you wish.

What's funny is the poor buy Apple products, which are the same people who buy Gucci bags. People with money don't go and spend a lot for a phone
If it didn't change, depends really what you mean by poor, but that not really my experience in Canada and stats tell otherwise in the US:

Apple iPhone users have a median income of $85,000, or 40 percent higher than those with Android devices, according to ComScore.

https://www.marketingdive.com/news/...ave-higher-incomes-than-android-users/541008/
https://www.fiercewireless.com/deve...Phone users have a,a month than Android users.

I had 2 type of smarthphone in my life, Nokia-Windows, Apple and everything about the Nokia-Windows phone was more tailored for the poor (I think India were their main market), would it be nice option for a $50 price point for the phone, never assuming you had data or any access to the Internet and so on.

If you look the market where Apple is popular it tend to be richer than average and inside them it tend to be among the people richer than average.

The Gucci brand tend to have lower priced (but quite overpriced) other than bag to target the "poor" ($400 sandal-bracelet-glasses-perfume-belt that cost about nothing to make), the 2-3k bag tends to be less accessible, more something for the non rich than the actual poor.

Apple iPhone users have a median income of $85,000, or 40 percent higher than those with Android devices, according to ComScore.
It's a survey not actual data. You go up and ask those people and they will likely lie to you about their income. You don't actually know what's going on in peoples finances. People generally aren't very fiscally responsible with their money, and will often make impulse purchases. Apple are the Nike and Sony of today. Remember when people would kill for a PS2 or the shoes you wore?

This video will explain the concept.

It's a survey not actual data. You go up and ask those people and they will likely lie to you about their income.
Sure but there also more concrete data:
https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/iphone-market-share-by-country

Almost exclusively on the richest spot on earth does iOS has significant share, I have yet to see much data on low purchasing power people buying new iPhone.

As for the luxury brand making a lot of the sales on the $300-$400 and not much on the actual expensive designer dresses, yes I am aware.

Maybe you use poor to mean everyone not extremely fortunate in your message (but then again, I would bet that on the very rich class the most popular phone brand would be Apple, so I am really unsure here.

There a level of wealth were people reverse back at everyone know I am rich so no need to show it, but there also a high level of wealth below and specially with old money, were people pay a lot for clothes that only other rich know they cost a lot instead of big flashy brands like Dior-Guccy, but thats quite different from not spending on clothes. I think that what Kayne West is often going for.

Last edited:
On one hand, whatever Apple comes up with will likely be insanely expensive (even for the hardware inside), depend on a lot of proprietary software and perhaps hardware, and there will be a whole cadre of people who will act as though Apple basically invented VR/AR. On the other, I can at least look forward to the next generation of VR/AR being sure they compete with Apple in whatever design (most likely over performance) methodology ; if that means something lighter, latest gen pancake lenses etc.. so be it, and will also end up invigorating the VR market again. I can only hope that Valve' GabeN is taking notes to improve what will come from " Project Deckard" and will be a FOSS, Linux friendly platform independent , PC focused and privacy respecting high end follow up to Index.

Oh and as far as casters, I remember paying a moderate fee to upgrade to casters on my CaseLabs case and there were two options besides standard case feet; standard casters, and HD ones. Taking the HD option for a fraction of the cost of Apples' MacPro casters got me a set of very smooth, omnidirectional, locking casters more akin to high end office chair rather than one made for typical shelving/storage racks or PC cases. It was worth the cost as iI've never had any difficulty pushing the big tower over carpet and hardwood alike, but I admit they don't have the shiny polished factor of Apple's MacPro offering.
All they need to do is be better or cheaper than the Hololense 2, preferably both.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/d/hololens-2/91pnzzznzwcp?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

All they need to do is be better or cheaper than the Hololense 2, preferably both.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/d/hololens-2/91pnzzznzwcp?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
Cheaper most definitely, better I imagine it will be the case but there's always a bit of lag in comparison to the "ultra high end business focused" VR. I'm sure it will be better than the Index, Meta Quest Pro, various Chinese companies (Pico, Pimax etc...great on paper often less desirable in actuality), HTC's latest offerings. However if it will contend with the next gen equivalents of Hololens , StarVR, Varjo $3K USD+ HMDs that will be tough but it will still be a big a big, open source step forward for half the price.

Sure but there also more concrete data:
https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/iphone-market-share-by-country

Almost exclusively on the richest spot on earth does iOS has significant share, I have yet to see much data on low purchasing power people buying new iPhone.

As for the luxury brand making a lot of the sales on the $300-$400 and not much on the actual expensive designer dresses, yes I am aware.

Maybe you use poor to mean everyone not extremely fortunate in your message (but then again, I would bet that on the very rich class the most popular phone brand would be Apple, so I am really unsure here.

There a level of wealth were people reverse back at everyone know I am rich so no need to show it, but there also a high level of wealth below and specially with old money, were people pay a lot for clothes that only other rich know they cost a lot instead of big flashy brands like Dior-Guccy, but thats quite different from not spending on clothes. I think that what Kayne West is often going for.
Kanye West's Yeezy brand was the epitome of flashy overpriced garbage.

Cheaper most definitely, better I imagine it will be the case but there's always a bit of lag in comparison to the "ultra high end business focused" VR. I'm sure it will be better than the Index, Meta Quest Pro, various Chinese companies (Pico, Pimax etc...great on paper often less desirable in actuality), HTC's latest offerings. However if it will contend with the next gen equivalents of Hololens , StarVR, Varjo $3K USD+ HMDs that will be tough but it will still be a big a big, open source step forward for half the price.
It’s also going to be very dependent on what Apple launches along side it. Hardware is fun and all but if there aren’t any software tools that go with it then it’s not very useful. PC and Linux tools for various, medical, engineering, and design suites that do use them need GPU capabilities that Apple just does not possess. So seeing how they leap that hurdle is going to be fun.

Kanye West's Yeezy brand was the epitome of flashy overpriced garbage.
And overpriced only to the knowledgable eye, regular people seeing those clothe could think they were old free clothes, I think we are saying the same, there a tendancy to wear expensive that look like garbage-regular clothes to signal wealth to a certain class.

I imagine it depends if it is a pure BOM or cost by units.
If it is custom molded and they do not expect to sell many of them, it can cost a lot by units rapidly regardless of the material used.

On made-in-china.com, mold can cost $10,000-$150k, if you made 2-3 of them before getting the design right and need to buy one of them for each 5k-15,000 units after that it can ramp up.
https://plastic-casting-mold.en.mad...omotive-Motorbike-Hardware-LED-Light-Med.html

Apple is really sticky on going very high quality on every part.

the article is really strange, the title is BOM leak, but when you read it, it seem to estimate made by third party not a leak from Apple at all, could be translation, but this:
Minsheng Electronics team invited an expert to interpret Apple MR last night, and Minsheng issued a summary early this morning, the content is as follows:....So, is it reliable?

Does not sound like a leak.

Back