Cosplayer with No Game Experience Was Lead Facial Animator for ME: Andromeda?

To be perfectly honest, any racial bias from a so called minority or whites shouldn't be fucking tolerated by any business. We all have our biases but they have no place at work. Period.

There are two levels to this story.

One is the bad animations which can spoil a game to a minor extent but can be over-come with an otherwise great product.

The second level is the attack on the gaming community by radical feminists who want to force games to adhere to feminist sensibilities and force companies to hire less qualified women in place of more qualified men. This is the real cause for the anger being generated. Clearly this girl was hired because she is hot and a women and a more qualified man was passed over instead. She not only did not deliver but to a minor extent she failed. While I feel sorry for the girl and do not condone the personal attacks on her I never-the-less feel that radical feminism is evil and needs to be opposed by any means possible. Viewed from this perspective the attacks on this women represents a counter-act by men who have been collectively attacked by feminists trying to infiltrate the gaming industry.

The company that hired her, presumably to appease feminists, is responsible for putting this girl in a position she did not earn or was qualified for.

Reactions: Madoc
like this
Somehow the pic on the main page announcing the article, looks like a newly dead corpse to Me.

This witch hunt is getting embarrassing. If you don't like the animations then don't buy the game and stop crying about it. I mean come on ... grow the fuck up. We have people sending this poor women death threats and we have people going on anti-SJW rants making extraordinary claims such as she was hired for her looks and not for her skills (how can they possibly know this). This behavior is the absolute WORST part of PC gamming. Some of you need to find a new hobby as it seems you live for the chance to hate on it.

She had 3 social media accounts where she claimed to be "lead facial animator", so either she lied or EA is lying.

My guess is that she was contracted as a motion capture model and in her mind that was a "facial animator" position.

ORRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Someone else is posting bullshit and your eating it.

Linky dude, or are you just repeating what someone else says ?

That is my issue as a whole with our society....not Bioware as a specific company. Can we say what we think or should we not say what we think? We are at the point that we want to destroy people's livelihoods for things they said in private with zero indication of ever being heard. I don't like this. If the guy is a shithead to work with then fire him for being a shithead to work with. I can enjoy someone's work regardless of what I think about them as a person.

I'm with you on this, but I can see where sometimes the line can be crossed. Using one's personal account to tweet about work issues pretty much makes every tweet a company tweet in the eyes of an employer.

This witch hunt is getting embarrassing. If you don't like the animations then don't buy the game and stop crying about it. I mean come on ... grow the fuck up. We have people sending this poor women death threats and we have people going on anti-SJW rants making extraordinary claims such as she was hired for her looks and not for her skills (how can they possibly know this). This behavior is the absolute WORST part of PC gamming. Some of you need to find a new hobby as it seems you live for the chance to hate on it.

Mass Effect seems to do that to some people. After over 100 hours of interactive involvement people get pretty serious about it. I'm as big a fan of the series as anyone and think these fuckers are going to far. I also think that while difficult to excuse if not impossible, the animation issue is overblown. So far the game's pretty good despite that. I still can't comment on the story until I get through it.

Last edited:
Left/right isn't a spectrum it's a circle. The crazies on both ends meet up; the over-reactinary "feminist" side looking for a reason to rant, are pretty much the exact same as the anti-SJW looking for a reason to rant.

I'd love to see some of these people going apeshit to someone personally react to the same shit when they fucked up at their job.

The company that hired her, presumably to appease feminists, is responsible for putting this girl in a position she did not earn or was qualified for.
That's a whole bunch of conjecture.

You don't have a single shred of evidence for any of that yet you're more than willing to drag someone trough the mud and go with the mob. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

You're conflating things here.
It's not about not liking the animations. The animations are objectively crap there are no differing opinions here. They're unworthy of any AAA game, and completely unacceptable in such a highly acclaimed franchise.

All those stupid fanboys who found a single person who is in their mind responsible for everything are idiots. But that doesn't absolve bioware and ea from the fuckup that this turned out to be.

The anger is rightful only aimed at the wrong party. Blame EA or blame Bioware, but not some lowly ex-employee of them.

When I played the preview, I definitely thought the lip-syncing animations sucked, but I think that was just because I expected better with Frostbite 3 as opposed to UE3.

Chalked it up as being wrong. Whatever, game still played fine. I had a tougher time coming to grips with that dude from Silicon Valley being the voice of a Salarian. I feel like he would have fit better as someone else.

In the game's defense, every modern game has the weird walking animations because they use procedurally generated animations.
I see words but they don't make any sense.

Procedural just means generated at runtime, not stored in the game data. That doesn't predetermine it as good or bad.
The weird walks are obviously not intended behaviour but glitches in the game where certain triggers are well not triggered properly.

You don't have a single shred of evidence for any of that yet you're more than willing to drag someone trough the mud and go with the mob. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?
Ah that doesn't matter "news" just has to "feel right" for many people to take it as absolute truth. Strange how people can quickly adapt a position with little to no quality information and quickly disprove simple explications like budget, time and lack of caring.

Reactions: M76
like this
i work as a character artist in the games industry and while a lead is responsible for the quality of the department, there are many other people and departments involved in putting together an entire facial animation system. you need talented tech artists to set up the animation rig, you need talented character artists or face artists to make the appropriate facial expressions for the animators to use and you need talented animators to put it all together. Not to mention there is a lot of data to manage if motion capture was used.

I'm not defending the quality of the work because I see some major issues, but calling out one person as the source of the entire problem is outrageous. there are so many other people and variables involved

I'm not defending the quality of the work because I see some major issues, but calling out one person as the source of the entire problem is outrageous. there are so many other people and variables involved

Which is where the calls for misogyny come in; in this case since it's a female lead with little experience, it ipso facto must be all her fault, and the types of responses sent her way seem even more vitriolic due to her gender and the perception that she was given her job purely because she was female - which, again, is an assumption based on her gender.

You're conflating things here.
It's not about not liking the animations. The animations are objectively crap there are no differing opinions here. They're unworthy of any AAA game, and completely unacceptable in such a highly acclaimed franchise.

All those stupid fanboys who found a single person who is in their mind responsible for everything are idiots. But that doesn't absolve bioware and ea from the fuckup that this turned out to be.

The anger is rightful only aimed at the wrong party. Blame EA or blame Bioware, but not some lowly ex-employee of them.

Great ... people are angry, now get over it. You can be as angry as you want but it is never going to change anything. Stop whining and vote with you wallet, that is the only way that EA or Bioware are going to change. IMO the animations do not ruin the game and I cant wait until Tuesday to continue where I left off in the trial. I am willing to bet that there are a whole lot of others who are going to do the same and Andromeda is going to sell just fine. The loudest (and most obnoxious) are typically always in the minority, the internet has just given them a soapbox which makes their noise sound louder.

Which is where the calls for misogyny come in; in this case since it's a female lead with little experience, it ipso facto must be all her fault, and the types of responses sent her way seem even more vitriolic due to her gender and the perception that she was given her job purely because she was female - which, again, is an assumption based on her gender.

There is this trend from alt right sympathetic types and leftovers from the gamergate wars that seem to want to continue on some perpetual culture war against "feminist" influence. I think people need to calm down, for some reason people get hyper animated about game devs not making every decision in a manner they would prefer. I prefer good looking characters in games too, so just leave feedback and don't be dicks about it. You don't have to be hostile and bile spitting to let devs know that you prefer increased beauty in a game world.

I liked this forum a lot more when people didn't drag their political worldview into every thread. None of you have any real idea what went down with the animations in ME3 or to what level this woman's competence or lack thereof played into it, so kindly shut the fuck up already.

I liked this forum a lot more when people didn't drag their political worldview into every thread. None of you have any real idea what went down with the animations in ME3 or to what level this woman's competence or lack thereof played into it, so kindly shut the fuck up already.

Well there was that 1 guy in this thread.

After playing it for a while (an hour - I gotta sleep).. it's definitely got lip sync issues - worse than Dragon Age did. I do like that the characters feel more animated and more attempt was brought to convey their feelings through facial expression. Even if it seems strained and deliberately exaggerated at times. Better than Dragon Age. But it's also strained to the point that it feels glitchy and a problem. Mouth and eye movements especially fall victim to this. Just from the pre-planet scene it's definitely there.

I've only played an hour in and it doesn't seem that bad. I just hate that it seems like the game lags before I can select any "option". A menu button, or chat option.

But it might just be that I'm running a 780 and the choppiness is catching up to it. But I expected that. It's definitely not running as well as it could from the memory stand point either, but it seems to only use all the memory for it (In the mail).

It also didn't like my once-stable 780 OC.

Sound and music is on point though. Combat feels good, minus the cover (fucking) system.

Don't let the animation-gate put you off to the game. If you've got the computer muscle to enjoy this game, I think it's definitely well worth it for the eye candy. It's still pretty on the 780, but not as smooth or pretty as it could be and funs fine. Hell, even with the GPU running at 575 Mhz (throttled from it's 1000+), the game still ran acceptable and looked okay. Lots of codexs and backstory from the start to read through.

Last edited:
Great ... people are angry, now get over it. You can be as angry as you want but it is never going to change anything. Stop whining and vote with you wallet, that is the only way that EA or Bioware are going to change. IMO the animations do not ruin the game and I cant wait until Tuesday to continue where I left off in the trial. I am willing to bet that there are a whole lot of others who are going to do the same and Andromeda is going to sell just fine. The loudest (and most obnoxious) are typically always in the minority, the internet has just given them a soapbox which makes their noise sound louder.
Of course that's why they made the extended cut of ME3, because complaining doesn't work. But not saying a thing and buying the game and acting like everything is fine when things are obviously fucked up is a damn good idea.

Again there are no differing opinions here, don't pretend it's just a small minority who doesn't like the animations. And it's thanks to the people vocal about it that there is any chance of them improving things. So instead of shitting on the people speaking out you should thank them for standing up for gaming's sake. And I'm obviously not talking about the trolls who harass employees.

Maybe you should look up the meaning of the word "presumably" in the dictionary. Feminist fingerprints are all over this one. I'm guessing you support the anti-male agenda?

Maybe you should look up the meaning of the word "presumably" in the dictionary. Feminist fingerprints are all over this one. I'm guessing you support the anti-male agenda?
ROTFLMAO. I call you out on conjecture then you come back with even more conjecture. Good going, you just proved me right involuntarily.

Also you only applied presumably to the hire being feminist reasons. I called you out on the fact that you seem to be 100% certain that she didn't earn the position and wasn't qualified for it.

One is the bad animations which can spoil a game to a minor extent but can be over-come with an otherwise great product.

The second level is the attack on the gaming community by radical feminists who want to force games to adhere to feminist sensibilities and force companies to hire less qualified women in place of more qualified men. This is the real cause for the anger being generated. Clearly this girl was hired because she is hot and a women and a more qualified man was passed over instead. She not only did not deliver but to a minor extent she failed. While I feel sorry for the girl and do not condone the personal attacks on her I never-the-less feel that radical feminism is evil and needs to be opposed by any means possible. Viewed from this perspective the attacks on this women represents a counter-act by men who have been collectively attacked by feminists trying to infiltrate the gaming industry.

So the feminist movement is about the hotness of the female, wow I didn't know that, please tell me more.

Trumphumpers are just as bad as the SJWs they profess to hate. Just because you don't like the aesthetics of the female character models doesn't mean that there is some evil conspiracy afoot.

CdtvkLGVIAAhu0f.jpg

How do we actually know any of this? How the fuck do we know who all BioWare had to choose from during their hiring process? I'm going to bet we don't and the above is pure speculation.

He's not white....because.....he's......canadian? (n)

Sounds like he got booted anyways. Too bad. As a fellow fair skinned person I'm ok with people not liking me. I don't think careers should be destroyed JUST because someone has a certain personal opinion.

According to this video you can make a fair skinned asian. Not an albino and she is probably one of the more unattractive asians out there. But still.

As someone who has actually played the game, I was able to make a white female character just fine.

Trumphumpers are just as bad as the SJWs they profess to hate. Just because you don't like the aesthetics of the female character models doesn't mean that there is some evil conspiracy afoot.

CdtvkLGVIAAhu0f.jpg
List of jokes in that picture
1) Putting Anarchism next to Communism is a the #1 joke. Communism requires collectivism, Statism and authoritarianism.
2) Putting Male Chauvinism on a political spectrum
3) Putting Corporatism on the Right. Corporatism is enabled by Intrusive Government. The Definition itself to be 'incorporated' is a government/legal term. It requires Statism.
4) The version of Nationalism mentioned is likely Nazism and also requires Statism & authoritarianism with nice heap of collectivism.
5) Communism, Nazism should be under Authoritarianism and next to Corporatism with Statism capturing all 3. You can put Nazism closest to Corporatism if it makes you feel better. All three should be on the opposite side of True Anarchism.
6) ...

It's the gift that keeps on giving. Kudos to the propaganda department involved. You subtly flatter the center so they'll adopt this graphic and spread it around

1) Putting Anarchism next to Communism is a the #1 joke. Communism requires collectivism, Statism and authoritarianism.
3) Putting Corporatism on the Right. Corporatism is enabled by Intrusive Government. The Definition itself to be 'incorporated' is a government/legal term. It requires Statism.
4) The version of Nationalism mentioned is likely Nazism and also requires Statism & authoritarianism with nice heap of collectivism.
5) Communism, Nazism should be under Authoritarianism and next to Corporatism with Statism capturing all 3. You can put Nazism closest to Corporatism if it makes you feel better. All three should be on the opposite side of True Anarchism.
6) ...

It's the gift that keeps on giving. Kudos to the propaganda department involved. You subtly flatter the center so they'll adopt this graphic and spread it around

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchist_communism

I think people who are trying to blame one person (other than the CEO of Bioware) for the failings of ME: A are just loony. People answer to other people. Games go through QA and other internal reviews. This game had to be approved by many people before it saw the light of day. Apparently, the people who did the approving were okay with what they saw because they didn't stop it from being released. It DOES NOT MATTER why they approved of it, whether it was due to ideological leanings or pressure from above: they approved it, and that's that. The game is now a reflection of the company that made it: the company as a whole, not just one person.

IMO, this game shows that Bioware and EA hold me in contempt. If they really cared about how the game would be received by gamers like me, they would've released a game that reflected that. They did not, so I think my reaction is completely justified. Bioware used to be a good game company, but I no longer want to have anything to do with them.

6) ...

The problem is there are 2 pretty distinct aspects to politics: social alignment and economic. Plus, you seem to be confusing statism with left and right. Both the left AND the right can advocate strong intervention from the state, but with different priorities. The traditional left generally wants stronger regulations on business, environment and safety issues, taxes on the wealthy, strong safety net and public programs, etc. The traditional right generally wants a robust military, more restrictions regarding on one's personal life, like drugs and sex, etc. BOTH of these examples require strong intervention from the state. On the flipside, you can have radical left anarchists v. puritan libertarians who both want as minimal government intervention as possible.

It doesn't help that we live in crazy times where both the major left and right parts both embrace neoliberalism, which despite the name, is a stark right-wing economic policy involving the government intervening to favor businesses. This is pure corporatism. Reagan did this, as did Bush Sr., as did Clinton, as did Bush Jr., as did Obama, as would have Hillary, as Trump also is doing. On many (not all) economic issues, we essentially have only one party with different faces. It's only on social issues that you see a more pronounced difference. Modern Democrats are right wing economically, left wing on social issues. Modern Republicans are more extreme right wing economically (with a few small exceptions from Trump) and right wing on social issues. True Libertarians are radical left wing on social issues, radical right wing on economic issues.

Again, statism is not the measure of whether something is right or left politically, it's what the focus of that statism IS that determines that. If you think I'm wrong, explain to me how a fundamental religious person who wants gay marriage banned, marijuana kept illegal, and a large boost in military spending is considered "left." All that requires strong intervention from the state.

Last edited:
It's like all the characters have recieved injections of virtual botox. Their expressionless facial mannerisms convey almost no emotional cueing at all. Their lips move, eyes blink, but that's. Like the virtual botox paralyzed their whole faces. It's bizarre looking actually.

It's like all the characters have recieved injections of virtual botox. Their expressionless facial mannerisms convey almost no emotional cueing at all. Their lips move, eyes blink, but that's. Like the virtual botox paralyzed their whole faces. It's bizarre looking actually.

I'm not excusing it because the technology is there to do better. That said, the previous games were just as bad. I think its more jarring now because of the higher quality models and more realistic texturing. The characters are like those life dolls or animatronic puppets designed to look realistic. You look at them and you can't always put your finger on them but deep down they stir some type of primal fear to avoid them because they look "off" to you.

ok, so if this is true, then the fault lies on the person who hired this animator. who would hire someone w/o much experience to be the lead facial animator? To me that reflects incompetence at the top.

How do we actually know any of this? How the fuck do we know who all BioWare had to choose from during their hiring process? I'm going to bet we don't and the above is pure speculation.
So you are suggesting that BioWare hired a girl with no experience because not a single guy with experience applied for the job? Highly improbable. Are you suggesting that when we lack a complete set of data that we simply abandon drawing any conclusions? Plausible and probable speculation in many cases is all we have to go on. Some people call it a theory. Most of what we call science is similarly built upon theories.

You are free to offer a counter-theory that more adequately describes the data we do have...

So the feminist movement is about the hotness of the female, wow I didn't know that, please tell me more.
No... I'm saying if you are going to hire a girl to satisfy some Human Resources diversity requirement it might as well be a hot girl. Do I really need to explain how most guys think?

Back