Cosmos S disappointment

Miltos2304

Limp Gawd
I just find out that Thermalright Ultra 120 cannot fit in this case :mad: unless i remove the side fan.And that fan was one reason of geeting cosmos s . And good recommentations of a cpu cooler that fits in this case?
Cosmos S gives 145mm at least from cpu to the other side.
I was thinking of ZALMAN 9700 LED 142mm
An other good air coolers? I want the best :D

My Zalman 9700 fits fine.

@Miltos2304, have you had any issues with your computer restarting? Mine shuts down ok, but if i do any update or install that requires a restart, the computer shutsdown, but will not boot back into windows. I've got to do a hard restart...hold button for 4 seconds. I'm trying to figure out if its a hardware or software issue?

Thanks,

EK2K

I just find out that Thermalright Ultra 120 cannot fit in this case :mad: unless i remove the side fan.And that fan was one reason of geeting cosmos s . And good recommentations of a cpu cooler that fits in this case?
Cosmos S gives 145mm at least from cpu to the other side.
I was thinking of ZALMAN 9700 LED 142mm
An other good air coolers? I want the best :D

I have the same case and I'm very happy with it, best case I've had. Especially after I gave it some silencing treatment. I'm using the Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme and I removed the side fan as well, I see no use for it. Air flow and temperatures inside the case is great with the other four 120 mm fans I'm running and it's not noisy, just use a controller for your fans.

With most case, unless they are extremely wide, you will have issues with the bigger (200mm and above) fans on the side panel. If you have a 9800 GTX or 8800 GTX with the power connectors on the top of the card, they can also present a problem with one of these fans.

My Zalman 9700 fits fine.

@Miltos2304, have you had any issues with your computer restarting? Mine shuts down ok, but if i do any update or install that requires a restart, the computer shutsdown, but will not boot back into windows. I've got to do a hard restart...hold button for 4 seconds. I'm trying to figure out if its a hardware or software issue?

Thanks,

EK2K

No i dont have any problems that kind. And i know the case is the bomb but i dont want to remove the side fan .Probably ill go with Zalman 9700.

I have a coolermaster Hyper TX2, love it. Its silent and does a good job cooling.

theres a thread here somewhere about Comos S update coming in may that addresses tall coolers..

i have a problem with the height of my hd/f in my case. i got the tr ultima 90, it is under 145mm, and cools almost as well as the true.

as for the cosmo s update, i think he would probably want to do this w/o having to buy another case.

dont know why you bought that case. its not good at all as you have just found out the hard way hehe

What about the Thermalright Ultima 90? Same build as the TRUE, just shorter. Takes 92mm or 120mm fans. I'm using one on my Q6600 G0 with a 120mm Scythe S-Flex 1200rpm fan and it maintains temps slightly lower than my Tuniq Tower did but is a LOT smaller. If you used a 92mm fan with an Ultima 90 you'd have the clearance you need.

I would follow odex's advice and remove the side fan. I have the Cosmos S and a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 heatsink, which made it necessary to remove the side fan. To replace it, I just bought some Scythe fans (2 Slipstreams and 1 S-Flex) and made the S-Flex an intake in the drive bays, 1 Slipstream an intake on the bottom, and the other Slipstream an exhaust at the top. Airflow seems good and temps dropped quite a bit when I added those in addition to the Coolermaster 120mm fans it comes with.

Do you personally own one and can back up that statement, or are you just a butthurt poorfag?

do i need to own one to know its bad? there is a thing called reviews you know and everywhere stated that this case sounds like a vaccume cleaner.when spending that type of money in a case, you better do some research pal and weigh up the pros and cons

Last I checked cases don't make sounds, what you put in it do.

last i checked the case comes with a big ass fan that produces the loudes noise in the case

First of all, it is a 200mm fan that has fairly low RPM, and it can be removed. I just glanced at reviews from actual users and very few mentioned this noise as being an issue. And keep in mind, the "noisiness" of a case is very subjective and is obviously dependent on the fans used in the case.

Secondly, the case has a mesh front panel and a meshed area on the side panel. Of course it won't be as quiet as the original Cosmos, which was designed to be quiet. I really wish people would stop comparing them in that regard (not that you were).

Thirdly, I trust people who actually own and use them over most "tech rag" reviews. Sure, I'll read reviews from the big sites and consider the information presented, but I also tend to read reviews from actual users (Newegg, forums, etc) and place more emphasis on those reviews.

And lastly, in the case of the Cosmos S, the issues I have with it aren't related to the alleged noise output. My issues are 1) Having to remove the 200 mm fan if you have a tall HSF and 2) Lack of space under the motherboard for cable management -- the clearance between the side panel and the motherboard panel is not very large. I see those as the biggest issues.

check out the Noctua U12P, it got a great review from . It beat out the Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme by utilizing two special noctua fans in push/pull mode. It was also the quitest!!

Cosmos S case is being re-worked to address some of the issues and is reported to be ready sometime this month. I would wait for it if you can.

I like my S case with the exception of the hard drive cage that needs some pull to get it out, but luckly you only have to do this once.

Fan noise is noticable depending on the cpu fan but not a distraction.

Some members on this forum just like to weigh in with immature replies showing their age, so don't take any stock in them. Everyone is different as to what they like and dislike. You have to be the judge

I second SR45's recommendation -- if you can, I'd wait to see what the revision of the Cosmos S has to offer. I think it is a great case and the revision should only be better.

I also have read many reviews about Cosmos S and they are talking about one of the best cases out there.And not only from reviews but also in forums dudes love that case.Money is not an issue here so i go whith what i like and think is best of the componets iam putting in.

Cooler Master Cosmos S case
Corsair T750 750W PSU
ASUS Rampage Formula (Intel X48) ATX motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 or Core 2 Quad Q9450 processor
Zalman CNPS-9700 LED CPU cooler or something else
4GB (2x2GB) OCZ Reaper DDR2 1066 dual-channel kit
Evga 9800gx2
Pioneer DVR 215dnk
1 - Western digital Raptor 150gb
1 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 st3500320as 500 GB
For monitor ill keep usin my hitachi CRT 21'' as i didnt found any good lcd worth the money at 22'' or 24''and probably using 1280x1024 res or high

I was so close to buying the Cosmos S when I read that it was having a revision, hopefully this month.

One thing that I would like to know given the large case fan location is space for a 8800 Ultra. In my current case I had to turn it sideways and then snap it in with absolutely NO wiggle room. Thoughts on that video card and the Cosmos S?

edit: from more reading it seems like the sound dampening material that I was so enamored with from the Cosmos 1000 is gone. May have to rethink this.

I was so close to buying the Cosmos S when I read that it was having a revision, hopefully this month.

One thing that I would like to know given the large case fan location is space for a 8800 Ultra. In my current case I had to turn it sideways and then snap it in with absolutely NO wiggle room. Thoughts on that video card and the Cosmos S?

edit: from more reading it seems like the sound dampening material that I was so enamored with from the Cosmos 1000 is gone. May have to rethink this.

It really is a great case, with lots of room, and it looks really slick. An 8800 Ultra should fit length-wise, no problem. I had to remove the side fan because of my tall heatsink (Xigmatek 1283), but as far as I know, it won't affect standard height cards.

With that being said, I'd recommend you take a look at the pictures of the case on Newegg or any review site. It does NOT have the sound dampening foam, nor does it have the hard drive trays of the original Cosmos. The original Cosmos was designed to be quiet, but many felt it lacked airflow. Therefore, Cosmos S was refined for cooler operation. As such, it has a mesh front panel and the side panel with the 200 mm fan also has a large meshed section.

the only thing i dont like about the coolermaster hyper tx2 is the amount of pressure needed to fit it onto the motherboard, it needed alot more force for the push pins to lock than any of the other 4 heatsinks ive got here, i thought something was gonna break on the motherboard lol.

Back