COSMOS: Possible Worlds in 2019

i just recently went through the original book, via audible. Levar burton did a great job reading it.

Im sure the continuation of this show will be as good as always.

Huge fan of the one by Sagan, not so into the NdG version.

Still, this is good news. Anything that brings science into the mainstream is fine by me.

fbd.jpg

Um. Well, that trailer was so pretentious, I mean, it was COSMICALLY over-pretentious.

"Knowing our place in the universe." Lol. No doubt, I'll be told that CO2 is a poison.

The beauty if science is that it is true, even if you don't believe in it.

The horror is how the left has politicized and redefined the meaning of science to fit their fringe agenda. True science does not require faith or a consensus. Only reproducible results given a consistent set of defined constraints.

Had to add this which describes 99% of the Internet enlightened science champions:

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=youre_not_a_nerd

I don't find Neil to be some major contributor to the science realm. The main thing I will give him lots of kudos for - is making it sound more interesting to the general public... which hopefully, will translate into more interest amongst people growing up.

My wife wouldn't like it, but I will definitely give it a watch !!

My wife cuddled with me throughout the whole season.

Doesn't make my dick hard like watching Lana (a cartoon character) does but it's well made and they talk about cool stuff.

If you've never seen the original 'Carl Sagan's Cosmos' PBS series, do so. It's a masterpiece. 13 hours of general science, history, and philosophy with no commercials, and it's all still completely relevant. Go stream it or get the restored Blu-Ray on Amazon.

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey with Neil deGrasse Tyson was enjoyable, but I didn't like the use of cartoons for the historical dramatizations. I don't know if the cartoons were a McFarlane thing or a Fox cost-cutting decision, but it hurt the series. The episodes about Halley/Newton, Clair Patterson, Joseph Fraunhofer, and Michael Faraday are fantastic, but overall I felt like the new series was a bit shallow compared to the original in a way that's difficult to explain. Hopefully they've figured out what works and what doesn't.

Neil deGrasse Tyson or Bil Nye the science guy? Who is the BEST pretend scientist?
I know, it is definitely Nye. Why you ask? He sticks to the Bow-tie and white lab coat! Fuck this shill. He can't even be bothered to where the tie. Sigh.
When the world of science and NASA need to puppet those two dip-shits as a form of authority, we are all in a bad place.
Eat it up kiddies, eat it up.

Neil deGrasse Tyson or Bil Nye the science guy? Who is the BEST pretend scientist?
I know, it is definitely Nye. Why you ask? He sticks to the Bow-tie and white lab coat! Fuck this shill. He can't even be bothered to where the tie. Sigh.
When the world of science and NASA need to puppet those two dip-shits as a form of authority, we are all in a bad place.
Eat it up kiddies, eat it up.

Umm...Tyson IS a real scientist. He earned a PhD in freaking astrophysics. His doctoral research project was so good that his professor got him grants from both NASA and ARCS. His doctoral research alone aided in massive advancements in astrophysics. Tyson is a pretensions asshat, but he isn't a pretend anything.

He earned a PhD in freaking astrophysics
Is that the PhD where you are a shill?
Ya should have left it @ Tyson is a pretensions asshat. LOL!
He hasn't added shit to anything, but pump him up you must.
He is a figure head. And not a good one.

Is that the PhD where you are a shill?
Ya should have left it @ Tyson is a pretensions asshat. LOL!
He hasn't added shit to anything, but pump him up you must.
He is a figure head. And not a good one.

You are either trolling or so blinded by some misguided extreme hate of the man that you haven't even bothered to do the like ten seconds worth of research that it took me to find what I said to you. I'm not exactly a big fan of Tyson but that doesn't change his past achievements.

Dafuq with the hate on Tyson? I love what i've heard & seen from the man. Jeez.

His troll-grade bullshit and pretentious attitude on social media has left me with a fairly negative impression. His whole mission on social media seems to be "Let's take the fun out of everything and shit on anything popular with inane bs". It rarely seems done to be helpful or actually teach, its just done to be a dick.

The horror is how the left has politicized and redefined the meaning of science to fit their fringe agenda. True science does not require faith or a consensus. Only reproducible results given a consistent set of defined constraints.

Had to add this which describes 99% of the Internet enlightened science champions:

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=youre_not_a_nerd
The 'left' politicized science? You mean like how the right bans (outlaws?) its mention in government decision making? Like that? GTFO the 'left' .. the 'left' AT BEST, has been in a slow, typically too late reactionary process against the routine attacks and distortions from the 'right'.

Feel free to sit in your garage overnight with the car running and let us know how safe it truely is. :)

Feel free to drink 10,000 gallons of water and let us know how safe it is.

The Earth's CO2 comp is nowhere near it's peak when life was plenty abundant on this Earth.

My wife wouldn't like it, but I will definitely give it a watch !!
Given the need for you to stragely mention your wife's possible dislike of it, i'd say you best ask for your agets back and best be not assuming she'd let you watch it. :p

Jokes aside. Should be a good watch. I was hoping there would be more of this show. The factual stuff is great. It really helps give you a time line of major advancements in science and technical history and how it all happened.

Feel free to drink 10,000 gallons of water and let us know how safe it is.

The Earth's CO2 comp is nowhere near it's peak when life was plenty abundant on this Earth.
Uh-huh... For the same reason drinking a couple of gallons of water at once will kill you, co2 is killing the planet: rate of change to the system. But you know that, you KNOW what you say is non sense, its just fear won't let you admit it.

Uh-huh... For the same reason drinking a couple of gallons of water at once will kill you, co2 is killing the planet: rate of change to the system. But you know that, you KNOW what you say is non sense, its just fear won't let you admit it.

Since we’re in a science thread... source?

We know the recent increase of concentration is caused by the burning of fossils.
We know it has an adverse effect on the climate.
What else do you need to act instead of denying the issue?

That atmospheric CO2 contentration used to be higher at some point in earth's history is completely irrelevant to the issue. And even if the atmosphere were pure CO2 at some point in the past, I don't really want that, do you?

BTW the model that predicts those very high concentrations of CO2 for the past has a huge uncertainty factor. But as I mentioned it is irrelevant either way. This appeal to "but it used to be higher" is just as weak as SJW's appeal to slavery.
Yes there used to be high concentrations of various toxic gasses in the atmosphere in Earth's early history, but how is it relevant to our current situation?

The beauty if science is that it is true, even if you don't believe in it.

Yes and "all scientist agree" that science is true.
But right out of the gate there is an error. Science is the pursuit of facts ascertained by the scientific method. But TRUTH is in the realm of philosophy. The truth claims made by science rise and fall with generations. Before the adoption of microscopes by the scientific community it was a accepted fact that sickness and disease came from sources of bad smells. While close to the mark; this was factually wrong. It wasn't the odor it was the bacteria that caused it. The scientific instrument to correct this notion was the microscope. It wouldn't be against science to say that much of the truth claims of science is just conjecture, just theories that lack real proof. As advanced science is today we still lack instruments to measure and observe many things.

Yes and "all scientist agree" that science is true.
But right out of the gate there is an error. Science is the pursuit of facts ascertained by the scientific method. But TRUTH is in the realm of philosophy. The truth claims made by science rise and fall with generations. Before the adoption of microscopes by the scientific community it was a accepted fact that sickness and disease came from sources of bad smells. While close to the mark; this was factually wrong. It wasn't the odor it was the bacteria that caused it. The scientific instrument to correct this notion was the microscope. It wouldn't be against science to say that much of the truth claims of science is just conjecture, just theories that lack real proof. As advanced science is today we still lack instruments to measure and observe many things.

I hope I am alive (I probably will be) when they discover the "microscope" for stress. When they can actually visualize stress and its effects on the body. (probably has something to do with using fMRI's and brainwave imaging/prefrontal cortex)

Still not Carl Sagan, Neil....
I watched the original COSMOS with Carl Sagan on PBS in early early 80s and really enjoyed it.
But it is worth noting an assertion that Sagan makes. "It is Cosmos, not chaos". The word cosmos means a harmonious order.
It amazes me that noted physicists like Steven Hawkins will author books like "The Grand Design" and will not connect the dots that a design points to a designer.
It is not because it is incompatible with science or the evidence. It is because it does not fit their philosophical beliefs.

I look forward to the show. I always liked the way Tyson presents.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Back