Cosmos 1000 still a viable case?

Xa3phod

Limp Gawd
Had this Cosmos for years now. Wondering, it's great and I love how quiet it is. Is it still viable, or is it holding me back? I do Overclock my 6700K, and I always felt it was not OCing as well as it should. I don't see it throttling, but is it possible airflow is the culprit? Should I finally retire this case and get something new? Or just put new modern fans (still using the stock original fans) this and replace my evo212 with a Closed Loop Cooler?

p.s. If new fans, which ones and how would you do it in this case? High pressure on the bottom and high flow on top? Or does this case just not allow for enough airflow?

Thanks!

You can always test it out by taking the side panel off and pointing a box fan or something similar at it to see if that helps out your OC numbers. Can't get more airflow than that, no matter the case! If it makes a big difference then it might be time to upgrade.

Modern cases tend to have better fan positioning for a through-flow and allow larger fans. However a lot of them are dropping the 5.25" bays to do so.

I'm still running an Antec P180 myself. It looks somewhat similar to this one. The problem I had with it was the unbalanced intake and exhaust in the main compartment (2 exhaust and 1 intake). Looks like the Cosmos 1000 has a similar problem (2 intake (one crammed behind the drive bays) and 3 exhaust) What extended the life of the case for me was taking out all of the 5.25" drive bay covers and putting a piece of air filter material in their place, but it looks like the Cosmos already has vented covers.

I had one with a Z77 & a Z97 build. Very poor airflow and cable management was horrible. I hacked mine up to get some airflow through it (Front 120mm hole, side 120mm hole). Also hacked the top to make a 360rad fit. After several years I got tired of it and there was nothing else I co do with it for my new build. I got the Phanteks Enthoo Primo and tossed the Cosmos in the dumpster.

The new Cosmos is fugly as hell and wayy overpriced.

based on the pics I'm seeing online, it does look like a case with poor airflow that would result in higher temps.
What are your case / CPU temps when running? That's what you need to look at for OC.

I use closed loop coolers on my cosmos 1010 and it made the case wholly viable again. Temps aren't an issue at all since all the heat is exhausted outside the case.

I have two Fury X cards (water cooled) and a overclocked 4.5ghz GHz I7-4770k under a Corsair H80i v2 cooler in my Cosmos case and my motherboard temps are still like low 30s under load!

Back