Cortana Not Going Away Whether You Like it or Not

Delicieuxz

Again, not quoting that monstrous wall of text..... Most sites have ads served by a 3rd party service, and there have been incidents where legitimate sites were serving out malware through those embedded ads... So no, you don't have to click a link or even visit a shady site to get infected.... Figured you would have at least heard about that in your decades of experience.

And I've also been working with computers since we got our first 8086 running DOS.... Work as a devops engineer with 15 years sys/network admin experience and a BA in compsci.... So that assumption was wrong as well.

Ew, why would I want to neuter my pc?
It's more like removing a malignant melanoma. A true lifesaver!

NOTE TO ALL:

Whether using the Group Policy editor and manually hacking the registry, Windows will call Cortana for certain functions including telemetry. You need to make sure to rename the Cortana app folder to stop this from occurring:

C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy
C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy.orig

If you get the Try Again GUI, you need to pull up Task Manager, kill the Cortana process and click Try again before it restarts;)

*shrug*
I use Cortana every single day. Between my Xbox One X and the tie in between my phone and computer, it is really useful. I prefer to type a text through my keyboard on my computer, it is far more convenient than typing on the phone.

It's just the usual windows person saying they love the OS, just like every win OS before it.

Not so much a love of Windows but the ecosystem.

Windows store, cortana, etc, there should be an easy to find switch for all this crap. It should not even load unless you want it. Bloatware......Spyware.......

And in a place like this there's always going to be "make it like a desktop from 20 years ago." So I get the privacy concerns with things like Cortana and that should be easier to disable. I think switching off the store for consumer users isn't necessarily helpful. Sure don't automatically install certain store apps but there's a lot more there these days than many realize. It's a safe and secure way to get a number of things, if you have Netflix, the store app is the only way to get features like offline play. Some good PDF tools, a number of popular open source apps, causal games, etc. It's just another way to obtain software and at this point the Store issue has been so overblown and so much nonsense said about it that it's amazing to me how a safe, simple and secure way to obtain software has been so blown out of proportion. Cause downloading random stuff on the internet is so much better?

Not so much a love of Windows but the ecosystem.

And in a place like this there's always going to be "make it like a desktop from 20 years ago." So I get the privacy concerns with things like Cortana and that should be easier to disable. I think switching off the store for consumer users isn't necessarily helpful. Sure don't automatically install certain store apps but there's a lot more there these days than many realize. It's a safe and secure way to get a number of things, if you have Netflix, the store app is the only way to get features like offline play. Some good PDF tools, a number of popular open source apps, causal games, etc. It's just another way to obtain software and at this point the Store issue has been so overblown and so much nonsense said about it that it's amazing to me how a safe, simple and secure way to obtain software has been so blown out of proportion. Cause downloading random stuff on the internet is so much better?
Helpful to me. i don't want any of that crap. Some people do not want any of it.

I hate Cortana. I have no use for it at all. And I'm sure that no matter what happens, there will always be a way to snuff that bitch out.

I really don't mind Cortana (In my case it hardly adds any load to my system). Windows 10 is a large leap from 7 in my opinion, My only comment at first is with the patches; I really didn't like the idea of installing patches ASAP at the moment. I usually delay it a a week or two, or a maximum of a month. (But I hardly want to delay it more). But I do agree we need to release security patches asap. I think this is more something that MS has to focus/prioritize more with the OS - a way to update the system ASAP and if possible zero reboots. and if something does go wrong a way not to crash the system up while not interrupting your current session (I know.. I am dreaming..) rather than the other bits (including cortana). Well they do tweak the core of the OS every major update, so who knows. We might have that stable OS in a not so distant future.

Setting up new Dell PCs for clients.

"Hi there. I'm Cortana and I'm here to help"

Can't mute that stupid shit fast enough. I hate Microsoft for many reasons, not the least of which is their incessant attempts to ram shit down my throat that I do not want. Assholes.

I have used win10 for years however 99% of the time I don't even notice that Cortana exists.

Back