Corsair’s “Category-Defying” Gaming PC Is Here

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
While prebuilt systems are of lesser interest to many of us, here is Corsair’s first attempt at a gaming desktop. All I have to say is that their designers have been watching way too much Tron: Legacy. I’ll buy one if it comes with Olivia Wilde. (It is also reminiscent of the Logitech G line, with the neon blue.)

The device was built with gamers and PC-upgrading enthusiasts in mind, but it's not meant to be taken apart. Although you can remove the tower's top, which is attached to the fan, Corsair says the One wasn't designed to be a "user serviceable system." A company spokesperson tells Engadget that the One's dis-assembly and re-assembly is "a lot more involved than a traditional CORSAIR DIY product -- that's why we sell it as a fully built system, and not a DIY kit." To that end, the company is also offering a two-year warranty, and will provide rapid-warranty replacement for faulty parts, as well as service centers for in-warranty upgrades.

Where you are getting that it looks like Tron? Looks like generic black case to me.

It actually seems priced pretty well - but how about saving 80.00 by not putting it in the mil-spec 80.00 foam padded hardcase? a simple reinforced cardboard box with styro will suffice and proper shipping. Im tired of the whiz-bang packaging.

/edit - didnt notice the m2 wasnt accessible. ouch.

Last edited:
let's see - 1080, not 'ti', m.2 but not accessible, sata 3.... sigh..... welcome to last year corsair. how about 'Corsair One.5"?

It's like paying to spend time with a whore but the girl won't fuck :whistle:

Reminds me of a lovechild between a Mac Pro and a Silverstone FT03. And, yeah, a pinch of Tron for good measure.

The interesting thing is the use of CoTS parts rather than bespoke boards (e.g. Zotac's Magnus line). In layout, it's very close to an upended Dan A4, with AIO radiators slapped onto the sides rather than using air cooling.
I'm not a huge fan of the aesthetics (though there are far worse offenders), and I generally wouldn't bother with pre-built systems, but if Corsair utilised the same frame (possibly bundled with the AIOs) with more traditional flat side panels as a 'case' - similar to what they do with the Bulldog, but without the hilarious bloat - I'd definitely consider it.

correction:

"The device wasn't built with PC-upgrading enthusiasts in mind, it's not meant to be taken apart"

If a window licker from engadget can get into it, I'm sure we wouldn't have a problem.

I dunno tho, odd form factor, meh parts, and relying on the CPU to be cooled with a passive radiator, and the GPU to only have the blower moving air... I dunno.

let's see - 1080, not 'ti', m.2 but not accessible, sata 3.... sigh..... welcome to last year corsair. how about 'Corsair One.5"?
The AnandTech review has a note at the bottom of the comparison chart pointing out a model option that includes a 1080 TI.

I started writing about how I thought the system was a bit overpriced, but after making a lil spreadsheet with the current costs of my current case and parts within, I come out at about $2218. I think my CM Cosmos and 5 Noctua fans ($300-350 total) cover the cost of the Corsair One's smaller case and it's liquid cooling solution (maybe it's a more expensive design?). I have a bunch of SSDs that amount to about 848GB at $348 in total cost, so not so far off from the cost of a decent 1TB SSD ($249-309). So I'd include the "Two years with 24/7 support and five day repair turnaround" warranty as a significant part of the luxury tax on this item. I almost took the time to try and calculate the cost to warranty everything in there using SquareTrade, but fk that. Anyway, it doesn't seem so bad for someone not strapped for cash looking for an easy way into high end PC gaming in an attractive small form factor. I feel comfortable enough with the Corsair brand that I'd put One in my living room, if I really needed One, and couldn't afford the time to build a similar One myself.

You can get a 1080Ti. The m.2 though, that's kind of an odd choice. There is an m.2 slot behind the motherboard but they don't even offer the choice. Maybe an oversight?

Meh, Not interested.

The whole SFF thing is silly. A big case on the floor beats a tiny case taking up space on your desk 100% of the time.

That, and the design reminds me too much of my Logitech G502 Proteus Core, which looks ridiculous.

well when it flops, let me know when i can buy a case from surplus stock :)

Then where do you put your subwoofer?!

Sit on it!

500x1000px-LL-fe2a112e_PZpJw.jpeg

Holy crap, that case:subwoofer ratio.... :D

You know, being a low level audiophile, I am not particularly happy with my Logitech Z623's I got in 2010 as a warranty replacement for an older set of Logitech speakers I got as a gift. I'd much rather have real amp/speaker/subwoofer separates, but the damned Logitech's just won't die.

That being said, loudness and bass level for a near-field setup in my smallish office has never come even close to being a problem. Even with the little sub, it can wake the dead and bring down the goddamned walls. I never turn the "sub knob" above ~50%.

(I usually do most of my listening on headphones though)

Last edited:
Pardon my Profusely Corded mess, but...

View attachment 20079

....how big is your subwoofer?

Even if I put my 400w RMS unit from my home theater under there, it would still fit easily.
That is a tiny woofer :p. Mine is 381mm x 330mm x 337mm, or 15" x 13" x 13.25" for you imperial folk. The driver is 10" in diameter.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
That is a tiny woofer :p. Mine is 381mm x 330mm x 337mm, or 15" x 13" x 13.25" for you imperial folk. The driver is 10" in diameter.

I love big subs. Great for HT setups and speaker sin large rooms, but for a near field setup, that seems totally overkill :p

And if it is a setup with the intent of filling a larger room with bass, under the desk might not be the best location. I'd tun wires elsewhere :p

This teeny desktop speaker sub has more bass power than I've ever needed or wanted in my office. As mentioned above, I don't think I've ever turned the bass knob up over ~50%.

According to this review it's an 8" driver, but I don't quite understand how it can fit in such a small ported case at 9"x12"x11"

By audiophile quality standards these speakers are awful, but damn are they loud.

Haha yep.
I felt the need for 15Hz which made mine ported 21" x 22" x 16.5" ish (not included the legs, spikes and base) with a 12" woofer.
As big as that is its nothing compared to those with 18" woofers!

You know, being a low level audiophile, I am not particularly happy with my Logitech Z623's I got in 2010 as a warranty replacement for an older set of Logitech speakers I got as a gift. I'd much rather have real amp/speaker/subwoofer separates, but the damned Logitech's just won't die.

That being said, loudness and bass level for a near-field setup in my smallish office has never come even close to being a problem. Even with the little sub, it can wake the dead and bring down the goddamned walls. I never turn the "sub knob" above ~50%.

(I usually do most of my listening on headphones though)

Yeah, near-field is one thing for your stereo speakers or even surround, but the sub has to be able to get low man :p

Haha yep.
I felt the need for 15Hz which made mine ported 21" x 22" x 16.5" ish (not included the legs, spikes and base) with a 12" woofer.
As big as that is its nothing compared to those with 18" woofers!

Yeah, near-field is one thing for your stereo speakers or even surround, but the sub has to be able to get low man :p

While absolutely invaluable in my HT setup, I mostly find really low sub-bass annoying in music.

My current HT sub (an SVS SB12-NSD) doesn't go quite low enough for my tastes for HT duty. I'm planning on replacing it with one or two larger ones that go down a little deeper, to 16hz or so. When I do, I"ll put the SB12-NSD to use elsewhere for music. It says within 3DB down to 23hz, which is more than enough for music applications. In fact, I'd argue that for music, I don't need or really even care for anything that goes much below 40hz

For my music listening, I'd probably even be happy with a set of tower speakers in 2.0 configuration without a separate sub.

I love when music uses sub 25Hz, even better when sub 20Hz.
You might change your mind with a quality subwoofer.
My sub is permanently fed from the output to my front speakers. They are all fed the LFE channel as well.
The front (10" woofer) speakers are subwoofers down to 25Hz, the subwoofer takes over below that.

Last edited:
Lol, how do you fit your legs in that setup? :p

Ha not mine I just recall seeing posts of others' setups that way.

Personally I've always enjoyed the better positional audio I get with headsets for gaming; also for city apartment living, you're not long for your current residence using too much bass :p

Nothing says "confidence in your build" like having a fire extinguisher next to your case!

I don't know, I see the bag right next to it; perhaps it's a mini bug out bag and the fire extinguisher is for a diversion? What are you up needing all that space for hard drives...

In all seriousness though, that case is badass.

Back