Corsair XMS3 DHX 4GB ( 2 X 2GB ) PC3-10666 DDR3 $85FS from Amazon

Xerodeluxe

Gawd
I was looking to purchase some ram for my new Core i7 build. I was wondering if this is a good deal to pick up. This is my first post attempt at HOTDEALS.

CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB ( 2 X 2GB ) PC3-10666 DDR3 $85FS from Amazon linky

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As a hot deal thats warm... if you are building a i7 might wanna look at tri channel

As a hot deal thats warm... if you are building a i7 might wanna look at tri channel
i7 does not equal socket 1366. And there has been very little benefit show for using triple channel over dual channel memory. This is hot for 4GBs of RAM from a company like Corsair. Not the tightest timings, but should be very good for most people.

So is this a good deal? I havent been building a comp in a long time. Just look at what I currently have in the sig. Its ancient!

Anyways, I heard the timings on this memory isnt the greatest especially for a brand like Corsair. But I dont know much. Does having a slower ram, effect the overall speed of the CPU (stock/overclock)? Or can I get away with it for a casual gamer?

The CPU I currently have is the i7 860 if that matters. I havent purchased the motherboard yet.

I believe they made this memory with several different voltages. This doesn't list what voltage is needed to run 1333 so I would venture a guess it's on the hgh side.... maybe even too high for your motherboard??

I highly doubt this is a hot deal, more like normal/warm price..

Hell, I think it's hot. It's $24 less than what the egg is asking and Corsair XMS3 is good upper mid-range quality memory. Plus there's no rebate.

I think everyone's waiting for $50/4GB hot. Those days are gone forever, you should just let em go.

I think this is a pretty good deal considering the state of the memory market. This memory was $120AR at Microcenter during their BYOC 20% off promotion

DRAM prices always fluctuate, counting on "hot" deals from back in the day when ram was cheap to come back is never a guaranteed thing. You just gotta go for the best deal at the time you are building a system...

this is a pretty good deal, I'd say it's hot if you're in the market.

So is this a good deal? I havent been building a comp in a long time. Just look at what I currently have in the sig. Its ancient!

Anyways, I heard the timings on this memory isnt the greatest especially for a brand like Corsair. But I dont know much. Does having a slower ram, effect the overall speed of the CPU (stock/overclock)? Or can I get away with it for a casual gamer?

The CPU I currently have is the i7 860 if that matters. I havent purchased the motherboard yet.

That's a decent price without rebate or cashback. You can get another $20 lower if you're willing to deal with rebate and cashback though.
IMO performance RAM gets you the least return per dollar over base RAM when you compare it to any other component. As long as they're stable, they're good enough.

Back