Corsair VX550W vs. Corsair HX520W @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Corsair VX550W vs. Corsair HX520W - We know Corsair's mid-range power supplies are some of the best in the industry, but what if we put their PSUs head to head? If you are set on a Corsair PSU, you will want to check this out. Which is the best 500w+ PSU for you?

In choosing between either the Corsair VX550W or the Corsair HX520W a user will not go wrong no matter which unit they settle on as the overall performance of both units is excellent. For users looking for the absolute best performance the choice is clear, the VX550W. At $99.99 the VX550W features the better voltage regulation, higher peak efficiency, excellent DC output quality, and is the better value. For users looking for the most premium experience the choice is clear, the HX520W. At $124.99 the HX520W features the quieter sound profile, modular cables, excellent DC output quality, and is priced in line with its premium feature set.

Question, then: would you recommend the HX620W over the HX520W for any reason other than the extra 100W? Since both are SLi-certified & modular, what would be the advantage besides the price? I see +6A more on the 620's +5v rail, I guess... Comparison link here.

Question, then: would you recommend the HX620W over the HX520W for any reason other than the extra 100W? Since both are SLi-certified & modular, what would be the advantage besides the price? I see +6A more on the 620's +5v rail, I guess... Comparison link here.

It is actually a 10A 12v capacity difference between the two.

If modular isn't an issue the VX550W is the better deal.

Yes, my next PSU will definitely be modular, hence my question about recommending the 620 over the 520 for any reason since they're both modular & SLi-certified. You guys also gave both units the Gold Award, iirc. I suppose the legitimacy of the 620 would come from the use of more hard drives? For example, would two G92-based graphics cards benefit more from the 620 over the 520?

For example, would two G92-based graphics cards benefit more from the 620 over the 520?

If I were going to SLI with a pair of G80 or G92 cards, I would do the 620W.

I love my VX550. :)

I really wanted modular but couldn't justify to myself paying the price premium to get a HX520 or HX620. And I have a nice compact case with "cable hiding room" (LL PC-A05B) so VX550 it is/was. ;)

Nice review. This definitely makes me proud that I got my HX520 almost a year ago. I love my PSU :)

If I were going to SLI with a pair of G80 or G92 cards, I would do the 620W.

QFT. Depending on configuration, you will be pushing 400w + or -. A nice 200w pad would make me feel better if I was gaming a lot.

Buy.com (and maybe others?) has the HX520W on sale every so often. I think I got it for ~$80 after a mail-in rebate and Google checkout a few months ago. Incredible deal at that price!

Buy.com (and maybe others?) has the HX520W on sale every so often. I think I got it for ~$80 after a mail-in rebate and Google checkout a few months ago. Incredible deal at that price!

Yeah sale pricing always makes pricing recommendations a bit difficult, but the general trend is for the VX550W to be quite a bit cheaper and it had the better voltage regulation :cool:

I have the HX620w, I think it's great. Good to see Corsair put out quality products at a good prices.

As expected, it's a win-win with these power supplies!

Great job, Paul. Nice to see yet another good [H]ard power supply review.

i have the vx550,no problems at all,best psu i ever owned,thumbs up.

I have the HX620w, I think it's great. Good to see Corsair put out quality products at a good prices.

I have one of each,and Corsair are the only ones I reccomend currently.If someone asks for more then 800 watts I would say maybe a Silverstone.Bulletproof is how I desrcibe them,and thier fantatstic customer service.

I relly enyoed this review,well written.

HX doesn't have spaghetti. Yeah the VX's cables are sleeved, but I think it's worth $25 to have ALL black wires. :) And yep, I got mine from Buy.com for $90 a good long time ago.

Seriously, I rave about the HX all the time. My rig wouldn't be complete without it.

I have the HX-620, just because Seasonic sounds sexier than Channel Well (who have been around for a long time). I believe they made those antec 400w back back in the day that were excellent.

But I might get the 550w for a build I'm doing,

Just a note:
Only the HX620 is certified by AMD/ATI for Crossfire with their new HD3870/HD3850 cards.

That has to say something.

Just a note:
Only the HX620 is certified by AMD/ATI for Crossfire with their new HD3870/HD3850 cards.

That has to say something.

It just means that Corsair submitted the HX620 and paid for its certification. Doesn't necessarily mean the lower powered power supply won't work.

The HX520 is cutting it a bit close though, if there are several drives installed in the computer.

Great read. I admit I was somewhat surprised that the VX550 performed so well, especially against the well-established HX520. It seems the only large differences between these two are the modular all-black cables of the HX. But it's safe to say no matter which unit you go with, you'll be getting great, quality power for your system

Awesome review guys, thanks so much! My brother just got an 8800GT and is going with a Q6600 for Christmas and looked to me for a PSU recommendation to replace his aging Seasonic 380, I basically just pointed him to your review and said "there you go, pick one."

I love my VX550w!

Nice read! I was of course, rooting for my VX550! It was exciting reading and scrolling through the tests.

I picked up my VX550 from zzf, free ship, $90 out the door, and I reviced by $20 mib 3 weeks ago!. Total $70.

I choose this one over the HX for the main reason of the single-rail. Second consideration was price.

Very nice review of two great units. I'm surprised by the 520W performance since my 520W always stays at 12.04V or 12.03V no matter what load I throw at it (Just a 8800GT and 3.3Ghz E6600) with my crappy monitoring software.

I need a new PSU and that review was so freaking good that I can't choose between those 2 Corsair units, I may end up tossing a coin, great review !

I never thought much about modular PSUs but I ended up with a 520 and its pretty nice. I didnt pay for it myself though. If I was making the purchase I dunno if I would spend extra money.

Back