Corsair VENGEANCE RGB RAM

Yep - Crucial Ballistix Tracer. I had those in the DDR2 days and thought it was neat how they'd light up and cycle as the RAM was accessed.
This is just...idk. I thought people were over the whole "bling your case with cold cathodes and lights" phase but I guess there's still those out there willing to pay extra for RGB motherboards, RGB fans, RGB keyboards, RGB mice, and now RGB RAM.

I have an open bench case and use LED fans. It's my desk lamp, since I keep my room dark.

In general if something is going to support lighting, I favor RGB because of the variability and options available. So you can go from dynamic colors to more staid effects if you wish, without being locked into a single color as one used to be in the old days. Especially for the RAM and lighting inside a PC, RGB options can not just act as an aesthetic choice but to convey information...IF the sensors and software (preferably open, instead of proprietary) are viable. For instance, having colors change along with temperatures would be something I'd think would be useful for the community here. Likewise, RGB lights usually have some pretty advanced controllers, so other things like having your RGB keyboard flash the E key a different color when you receive new email or have a keyboard-wide "swoosh" of color when a torrent finishes downloading is possible, if your software is up to it.

I am interested to compare these Corsair RGB to the Gskill models. I know that the Gskill version supports Asus "AURA Sync" control so it would be nice if Corsair could do so as well. I know that Corsair Link / CUE etc...is also available, but frankly it would be nice if all of these companies could use an open standard for their lighting control. Its annoying having to use a bunch of different utilities and each company has their "own thing"

Someday the board its self will be an rgb light. And the whole thing can change to any color. Reminds me of the 80s shows that had lights on everything that was a computer. Who would of thought that would happen for real.

You mean a motherboard with RGB lighting? Cause they already exist.

Part of me says "live and let live". If the kids these days want to rice their computers, that's none of my business.

Where I do get bothered by it - however - is when it becomes such a huge trend that it is unavoidable. Try buying a high end overclocking motherboard today, and guaranteed it comes with some of this RGB crap.

No problem. On most boards you can just disable the crap if you don't like it. Problem is, even when you do this, I am still being forced by this trend to pay extra for RGB LED's and controllers which I do not want, and that drives me nuts.

I'll admit, I do have one LED in my case, in my water reservoir, but that is for functional reasons. It makes it a hell of a lot easier to monitor the water level.

I like buying workstation boards for this reason, but these are becoming more and more rare.

That's what I was going with was the old Asus WS series of boards. Lots of connections, none of the flash. It also supported older technology, like the old PCI slots for my 12 port RAID controller. Now they feel like nothing more than gaming boards without lights, for the same, if not more, money.

Seriously I don't get how all this RBG shit got do popular. I don't want a light show in my room when I'm trying to sleep or watch a movie. The blinking lights on my router are annoying enough.
But... you can turn it down the bar lights :-D I was controlling the led lights of my corsair vengeance red led and is so cool

I actually chose the Phanteks P400 and the MSI x370 Gaming board with the RGB out on it so that the case would have the blue constant lights. I like to be able to look in and see how clean it looks. I was sternly anti-lights for the longest time, but if I'm going to spend all that time doing proper cable management, I'm showing it off!!! Even if I'm the only one that sees it :p

Didn't Corsair make fan cooled RAM? Seems like a massive conflict to me OR THEY'RE JUST TRYING TO FIND SOME STUPID LITTLE MARKETING NICHE. It either needs lots of cooling or cooling doesn't matter and it's OK to add heat and little lights to it. Both are BS to me. Bring back the green PCB and bare chips and get off my lawn!

In general, I don't want the extraneous lighting action.
1) None of my case have windows so these lit up RAM sticks are pretty useless for me.
2) Case fans with LEDs, again in a windowless case it ends up being useless.
2) As a touch typist, I look at the screen, not the keyboard so a lit keyboard is useless.
3) My Razor mouse has an led lit emblem on the top of the mouse, which my palm is covering when using the mouse. What use is the LED except to add complexity to the mouse design.

In general, I don't want the extraneous lighting action.
1) None of my case have windows so these lit up RAM sticks are pretty useless for me.
2) Case fans with LEDs, again in a windowless case it ends up being useless.
2) As a touch typist, I look at the screen, not the keyboard so a lit keyboard is useless.
3) My Razor mouse has an led lit emblem on the top of the mouse, which my palm is covering when using the mouse. What use is the LED except to add complexity to the mouse design.

Case fans obviously sit on the very edge of the inside of a case. You know, so air can actually flow out. So light still shines out, whenever you have a window or not. I use to have LED case fans on the back of my case, so it would light up the USB ports and such. Allowing me to unplug/plug things in. I'm still haven't do that now, since 6 USB ports simply isn't enough and mobos with more ports have more features I don't want and cost like $100 more.

Although I have an open bench case and the rear of the case faces me, so I see my ports easily without needing a flashlight or rear case fans.

I think it looks neat, but I wouldn't spend extra for it. My case sits under my desk, internal RGB components do nothing for me.

Yep - Crucial Ballistix Tracer. I had those in the DDR2 days and thought it was neat how they'd light up and cycle as the RAM was accessed.
This is just...idk. I thought people were over the whole "bling your case with cold cathodes and lights" phase but I guess there's still those out there willing to pay extra for RGB motherboards, RGB fans, RGB keyboards, RGB mice, and now RGB RAM.
I love my lighted keyboard and mouse. Makes it easier to see the keys and such.

In general if something is going to support lighting, I favor RGB because of the variability and options available. So you can go from dynamic colors to more staid effects if you wish, without being locked into a single color as one used to be in the old days. Especially for the RAM and lighting inside a PC, RGB options can not just act as an aesthetic choice but to convey information...IF the sensors and software (preferably open, instead of proprietary) are viable. For instance, having colors change along with temperatures would be something I'd think would be useful for the community here. Likewise, RGB lights usually have some pretty advanced controllers, so other things like having your RGB keyboard flash the E key a different color when you receive new email or have a keyboard-wide "swoosh" of color when a torrent finishes downloading is possible, if your software is up to it.

I am interested to compare these Corsair RGB to the Gskill models. I know that the Gskill version supports Asus "AURA Sync" control so it would be nice if Corsair could do so as well. I know that Corsair Link / CUE etc...is also available, but frankly it would be nice if all of these companies could use an open standard for their lighting control. Its annoying having to use a bunch of different utilities and each company has their "own thing"

I actually really like the RGB defaults from this generation. It's a very moderate color shift and not a eye burning BLUE, RED, GREEN like RGBs of old. Now it's more like a pallette of colors and blends together very well.

FB_IMG_1490366617532.jpg

So I will admit I am the oddball, and I love RBG on anything. My mouse and keyboard are both RGB. I took aesthetics into account when choosing parts for my current rig. My motherboard would probably make most of you insane with all of its red lighting, but it looks amazing with my GPU which has a deep blue Sapphire logo. Together they look fantastic. Very Mass Effect-ish. I'm also using Corsair Dominator RAM with a subtle bluish-white glow on the heatsinks. My case fans are also blue. The GPU lighting is actually quite useful, as the lighting will change based on temp. When it heats up, the lighting changes to yellow. If it gets into the top end of its thermal range, the lighting will turn red. I have the side of my case open and leaning on a speaker stand so I can see the reflection if i lean over a tiny bit.

trkKA0u.jpg

I've always seen PCs not just as tools, but as works of art. For as much money and time as we put into them, they SHOULD look good. Call me immature, that's cool. I AM a big kid. But I love my lighting. It's not as blingy as a lot I've seen, but definitely pretty showy and I love the way it looks.

As far as the Keyboard and mouse, I love to be able to change them based on my mood or what I am playing. I normally keep them blue. I'm a sucker for blue lights. But if I'm playing ... say ... S.T.A.L.K.E.R., I'll turn them yellow as it's sort of a radioactive color. If I'm playing a high energy shooter I'll often turn them red. If I am playing, say A-10 Warthog sim, I'll turn them green to match the cockpit colors to be more immersive. Sometimes I turn em purple just for a change.

I love my system and I love the lighting and I'm all for RGB.

Last edited:
I'll have to get this to match all my corsair RGB fans and keyboard. So many lights, now I can finally see where my keys are at night!

Back