Corsair VENGEANCE RGB RAM

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
I was going to post this video yesterday, but I had to consult our attorneys first in order to make sure we were not indicted for assault with a deadly weapon. That said, Corsair has jumped on the RGB bandwagon with its VENGEANCE RAM, and it looks to have done a good job with it as well. An interesting aside, since all this RGB business has broken out on enthusiast computer hardware platforms, I have now been instructed by the boss of the house to keep my office doors shut at night. Check out the video.

CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB DDR4 memory modules are designed for superior overclocking and provide a unique look with vibrant RGB LEDs and a precision engineered light bar.

OK, I asked this on another website and they didn't understand WTF I was asking, so I will ask here: I understand these are controlled through software, but how is the software communicating with the RAM? I am not very familiar with DDR4 and/or LED lit RAM, I presume there are one or more pins in the RAM slot that are used to "talk" to the module? I also noticed a limited compatibility list on their site. Or is that just a list of known/tested boards?

From their site - good bye over locking fanatics. lol

SUPPORTS XMP 2.0
Automatically selects the maximum reliable overclocking settings for the best possible performance and stability.

RGB LEDs are great and all, if you're into that sort of thing. I remember "back in the day" with my Core 2 having RAM with LEDs that lit up according to activity. Forget the model, I think it was Kingston brand. Anyways, those lights were actually useful. Would be cool if someone still make sticks like that.

RGB LEDs are great and all, if you're into that sort of thing. I remember "back in the day" with my Core 2 having RAM with LEDs that lit up according to activity. Forget the model, I think it was Kingston brand. Anyways, those lights were actually useful. Would be cool if someone still make sticks like that.

Yep - Crucial Ballistix Tracer. I had those in the DDR2 days and thought it was neat how they'd light up and cycle as the RAM was accessed.
This is just...idk. I thought people were over the whole "bling your case with cold cathodes and lights" phase but I guess there's still those out there willing to pay extra for RGB motherboards, RGB fans, RGB keyboards, RGB mice, and now RGB RAM.

Yep - Crucial Ballistix Tracer. I had those in the DDR2 days and thought it was neat how they'd light up and cycle as the RAM was accessed..

I have red DDR3 Tactical Tracer in my 3770K system... I love it. It's really cool and sometimes very useful to see the ram being accessed, especially since not every program gives you a progress bar to show when your machine is working on something. I got the regular red Vengeance LEDs in my new build and it looks cool but it just slowly pulses off and on and does not show any activity so it isn't nearly as useful.

I like it but I like the idea of it lighting up due to RAM actually in use better.

I still have some of those around here. That was cool. :)

Just make it one color rather than the whole 80s looking, let's use every color of the rainbow style....... That is why I dislike many of the RGB keyboards advertised as it looks distracting and silly, rather than attractive and functional.

You can set this as well as all rgb keyboards to a single color.

I know how trendy it is to seem like an extreme badass gamer, but I think rgb is pretty cool in certain applications.

I sleep in total darkness so this isn't for me but I still like the way it looks.

Just make it one color rather than the whole 80s looking, let's use every color of the rainbow style....... That is why I dislike many of the RGB keyboards advertised as it looks distracting and silly, rather than attractive and functional.
Well, to be serious about it... the pics they use for advertising just show you the color range available. In a lot of the keyboards (especially the more expensive ones) you can decide which color you want on a per key basis, meaning you can block out different keys in various colors, which can be handy for things like MMOs. Personally, I think it's silly and extraneous, but I can see that they have some legitimate use besides making your keyboard part of the Rainbow Coalition.

OK, I asked this on another website and they didn't understand WTF I was asking, so I will ask here: I understand these are controlled through software, but how is the software communicating with the RAM? I am not very familiar with DDR4 and/or LED lit RAM, I presume there are one or more pins in the RAM slot that are used to "talk" to the module? I also noticed a limited compatibility list on their site. Or is that just a list of known/tested boards?

I believe it's handled in the XMP spec: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html. Custom data can be sent to the memory via an SPD profile if I'm understanding this correctly.

The only reason i enjoy RGB stuff is because the case im cutrently setting up uses some unconventional colours, along with warm white LEDs for the lighting choice.

So I'm all in on RGB now, and what's frustrating is the lack of standards. I have to run Aura and CAM to control everything. Adding these to the mix would mean adding Link as well. And you can forget about trying to sync everything up. I wish these bastards would agree on one standard! :rage:

That being said, the memory I got did sync with Aura.

I'd be interested to see if these work any better than the single color LED modules. I have a set of the white LED modules and they worked for about a month, and now they only light up when Windows is booting. After that they go dark, and they don't even show up in the Corsair Link software.

No idea but I know my ASUS Z270i has AURA Sync which sync's my G. Skill TridentZ RGB with the motherboards lighting and no extra connectors needed. I can even control the RAM lights using the ASUS AURA software.

I do like a certain amount of lighting in my case, though a bit lowkey. Usually find fans that have dimmer LEDs.

Anecdotally, it isn't an issue for me at night, since I usually shut my PC off when it probably won't be used for a decent period of time. It used to be an issue some years ago, when boot times were annoying, but not anymore.

Do people generally leave their PCs on overnight?

I do like a certain amount of lighting in my case, though a bit lowkey. Usually find fans that have dimmer LEDs.

Anecdotally, it isn't an issue for me at night, since I usually shut my PC off when it probably won't be used for a decent period of time. It used to be an issue some years ago, when boot times were annoying, but not anymore.

Do people generally leave their PCs on overnight?

One wouldn't think so.
I also figure that the only people that sleep in the same room as their computer are kids still living at home.

RGB fans, RGB ram, RGB keyboard, creator's updates, founder's gpus. The end is near, people. The end is near.

I like the g.skill ones better.

Corsair DDR2 XMS2?

How you identify a millennial or younger PC gamer from the street:

swdc-series-dream-color-chasing-rgb-controller-and-rf-remote2.jpg

Yep - Crucial Ballistix Tracer. I had those in the DDR2 days and thought it was neat how they'd light up and cycle as the RAM was accessed.
This is just...idk. I thought people were over the whole "bling your case with cold cathodes and lights" phase but I guess there's still those out there willing to pay extra for RGB motherboards, RGB fans, RGB keyboards, RGB mice, and now RGB RAM.

Not really into rainbow colors, but when I build a system, I try to stick to a certain theme. My favorite build was a red one, where the heatsinks on the mobo were red, the RAM heatsinks were red, GPU had a design with red, etc. I splash around some red LED's, but nothing over the top. Also red braided cables, can't forget those. I suppose if you're going to keep your case closed off (no window), then it doesn't really matter, but when you're trying to add something a extra to your gaming room, it goes a long way.

Seriously I don't get how all this RBG shit got do popular. I don't want a light show in my room when I'm trying to sleep or watch a movie. The blinking lights on my router are annoying enough.

No one has a gun to your head, and it doesn't have to blink. It can just be a steady color. Most products with RGB lighting also allow you to control how strong it is as well.

Geez, what a bunch of whiners on here lately. Have some fun!

Someday the board its self will be an rgb light. And the whole thing can change to any color. Reminds me of the 80s shows that had lights on everything that was a computer. Who would of thought that would happen for real.

I had some of those too!!!
I modded mine to remove the green tracers, this gif is probably from 11, or 12 years ago lol.
lightsoutsigged.gif

but yeah I think people take the whole rgb thing a bit overboard, to each their own I guess.

Part of me says "live and let live". If the kids these days want to rice their computers, that's none of my business.

Where I do get bothered by it - however - is when it becomes such a huge trend that it is unavoidable. Try buying a high end overclocking motherboard today, and guaranteed it comes with some of this RGB crap.

No problem. On most boards you can just disable the crap if you don't like it. Problem is, even when you do this, I am still being forced by this trend to pay extra for RGB LED's and controllers which I do not want, and that drives me nuts.

I'll admit, I do have one LED in my case, in my water reservoir, but that is for functional reasons. It makes it a hell of a lot easier to monitor the water level.

I like buying workstation boards for this reason, but these are becoming more and more rare.

Last edited:
Back