Corsair Vengeance 2x2GB Modules OR 1X4GB Module,Which Runs Cooler?YIKES!

MeanBruce

Gawd
When configuring Corsair Vengance in a Quad Channel set up, what would run cooler on either side of the CPU? a single 4GB stick or 2X2GB sticks?? Which would draw the most wattage? or produce more or less heat at idle and at load? Thank you, all help very appreciated!;) Bruce

Afaik more sticks will draw more power, we aren't talking about alot though... I would then assume that it would equal more heat produced. I'm not sure you will notice a difference if you compare the one stick to the two. I also don't think there will be much of a difference if you compare idle/load. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Umm if its quad channel why would you run only 1 or even 2 sticks?

RAM doesn't run hot unless you are running on high voltage and high clocks, which I doubt since it's a Intel Sandy Bridge E. Not going to make that much difference even if one configuration is warmer. If you are that concerned, buy a RAM fan.

Going to be using an Asus Rampage 4 as the Mobo, seems everyone is going with a 4X4 setup when considering Quad-Channel, I really dont need 16GB but if its only $30 more than the 2X4 Vengeance kit $79 vs. $109 then why not, I just hope 4GB modules dont run much warmer than 2GB modules!;)

Pretty much any DDR3 1.5v module will run very close to the same temp as any other DDR3 1.5v module at the same voltage. Double sided modules will run slightly warmer than single sided but not enough to worry about and especially at 1.5v.

Going to be using an Asus Rampage 4 as the Mobo, seems everyone is going with a 4X4 setup when considering Quad-Channel, I really dont need 16GB but if its only $30 more than the 2X4 Vengeance kit $79 vs. $109 then why not, I just hope 4GB modules dont run much warmer than 2GB modules!;)

to take FULL advantage of the quad channel you will need 4 sticks regardless if you need that much memory or not.

Ordering the 4X4GB Corsair Vengeance 16GB kit. Would love to get the Dominator GT 4X4kit to match the Rampage 4 red/black color scheme, but it's so costly. Spending enough on the mainboard and cpu, so the Vengeance is a steal at $109!;)

...currently I have an Intel mainboard and older Corsair memory that runs at 1.7v, otherwise I get the blue screen, only 2 modules of 2GB each and they really can run HOT sometimes, makes the PC more like a space heater, I have a Corsair 650D and large 200mm Cooler Master black megaflows and the top of the case gets noticably warm when the memory and video card heat up. Oddly the CPU heatsink is never warm to the touch even under load, and I have no fans on the heatsink, must be because the current cpu is just an older Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16Ghz and the heatsink is a very large Noctua NH-D14.

Last edited:
I have not paid much attention to air cooling on X79. Is that cooler going to obstruct any of the memory slots? If yes, you may need the Low Profile Vengeance modules.

Back