Corsair Vengeance 1300 and 1500 Gaming Headsets Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Corsair Vengeance 1300 and 1500 Gaming Headsets Review - Corsair recently released its second generation of USB 5.1 and analog 2.0 gaming headsets. One model features a new software interface while both carry a redesigned appearance and Corsair's well-known Vengeance branding. We will tell you what both of these headsets may bring to your PC audio experience.

I was literally thinking about how I wished there was a review comparing all of these products together, and here we are! Thank you for taking the time to do this!

A problem I have with some headsets is they feel like Im holding my hands over my ears causing my voice to get louder. Does the 1500 have this problem?

let me get this straight with USB headsets, they only work with onboard sound?

USB headphones use their own audio chipset. They do not use any audio connection from your PC onboard or otherwise.

The advantage to them, is you do not need a dedicated sound card for sweet audio. As stated in the review, this leads to the same audio performance despite the machine you play on. Consistent playback for all.

Cool. Nice to see a usb headset work well. I like Corsair. Always decent products.

Love the little snipe at the more recent COD steamer btw.

Try BF3 maybe? Pretty much great directional sound imo.

How does the 1500 compare to HS-1? c'mon guys, i got the HS-1 based on your review ;)

USB headset are junk in my book, and thoses Corsair headset only have one Speaker Driver: 50mm in Each Earcup there not even real 5.1 or 7.1 there plane old stereo Speaker.
If you after real DD 5.1 then take look at Sharkoon X-Tatic Analog 5.1 Headset (4 Speakers in Each Earcup) I just pick up a set them to replace my old Kinyo KY-100

Last edited:
Nice review and thank you. Actually, this review opens up a wound for me. Based on the earlier HardOCP review of Corsairs other head phones, the Corsair HS1's. I bought those off Newegg. I always take very good care of all my headphones, mice, keyboards, etc. I still have a pair of AKG that are 5 years old that look mint. Any-who .... My Corsair HS1's were accidentally dropped from the edge of my desk and the sound just stopped working on that side of the head phones. I used them maybe 5 times. Guessing something came lose on the inside but I was shocked they would break that easy.

Last edited:
USB headset are junk in my book, and thoses Corsair headset only have one Speaker Driver: 50mm in Each Earcup there not even real 5.1 or 7.1 there plane old stereo Speaker.
If you after real DD 5.1 then take look at Sharkoon X-Tatic Analog 5.1 Headset (4 Speakers in Each Earcup) I just pick up a set them to replace my old Kinyo KY-100

Moarrr drivers, hell yeah!

Sorry, but...craptacular. Don't know what's worse, that it's Sharkoon, or 5.1.

Please humor me, but if I have a regular sound card, and this USB headset, how do I direct music from Windows Media Player or a game or whatever to the correct audio output?

So for the more technical audio group. I am looking to get out of the $15 headset market ;) I dont' want to go quality headphones just to be switching back to headset when I play games. So I would want decent/good sound for alternative rock, techno, dubstep and gaming at hopefully the $100-$120 range, possibly a little more if it makes all the difference. Movies don't matter because I stream to tv for those. Are these about the best a can hope for or there anything else out there someone would recomend. If you can help, thanks.

At some point, I really wish they would mimic / copy AKG or Sennheiser head-band design in re: to comfort level. I have maybe 9 or 10 pair of headphones and all the gaming headphones, Corsair included fail at the ultra comfort level.

I mean, really, after 30 - 45 mins of using most gaming head phones, it feels like you have a Toy Claw Machine trying to pick your brain out of your skull.

It's still night and day difference as far as I'm concerned. And it's just amazing why this is. Has anyone looked at the old Sennheiser comfort designs? They are so simply yet amazingly comfortable for not hours but days on end. Either these Chinese are being paid off not to copy pompanies like AKG / Sennheiser or the are just not getting it.

My next headphones are going to be those new ones they just released for the personal mp3 player / cell phone market, for $250 that come with 80mm drivers. They are supposed to be incredible headphones

Last edited:
I mean, really, after 30 - 45 mins of using most gaming head phones, it feels like you have a Toy Claw Machine trying to pick your brain out of your skull.
My problem with headsets is that they eventually just make my ears hurt, the actual outside part of the ear you can touch, not the insides. I want to try a Corsair set at some point..

The Sharkoon is the worst headset I have EVER used. I've gotten better sound out of $1 sets of earphones than that piece of shit. I will never touch a Sharkoon product again. I simply can not believe how piss poor they sound. Real 5.1 headsets suck. More drivers does not equal better.

in my personal experience i find the microfiber cloth way superior to that leather imitation which tend to rip apart with time.

I have the HS-1 and am pretty happy with the comfort and sound, especially in gaming. I can wear these things for hours without discomfort.

However, I am on the second pair (had a warranty replacement) as something went wrong in the switching area. Looking at this and other forums, I see there are a lot of folks with similar problems.

Hey [H], thanks for the review!

Am currently deciding between these 2 headsets.

I'm currently on onboard (Realtek ALC888B) and using a generic analog headset.

The 1300 costs $68 where I'm from, and the 1500, $89. (Sorry, non-US prices suck)

Assuming I were to purchase one of these, would the 1500 be the MUST considering I'm using the ALC888B?

Thanks!

The 1300 costs $68 where I'm from, and the 1500, $89. (Sorry, non-US prices suck)

Assuming I were to purchase one of these, would the 1500 be the MUST considering I'm using the ALC888B?

Thanks!

The 1500 would probably sound better in that case.

The Sharkoon is the worst headset I have EVER used. I've gotten better sound out of $1 sets of earphones than that piece of shit. I will never touch a Sharkoon product again. I simply can not believe how piss poor they sound.
I find that a bit hard to belive becuases other recommend it over Tritton and Psyko Headset
beside there only that selling analog headphone with out that decoder rigth now where even one else you pay $60/80 more for the Dolby Digital decoder which I have no need for but would cool for PS3 and Xbox 360 or something like that.

Real 5.1 headsets suck. More drivers does not equal better.
It dose matter if you after realistic true Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound and not the fake Virtual stuff which dosen't cut it with me it dosen't sound realistic.

Excellent review and comparisons. I'm sure, though, that Corsair is relieved that you didn't choose the Koss KPH/6's for comparison.

:D

what about improving your english before piling drivers? j/k
seriously, if you find real surround headphones way better than these just get what pleases you :)

Great reviews, thanks [H]!

All my peripherals are corded, and I like that just fine, but with headphones, I just can't stand the cord dangling down everywhere, getting run over, etc. etc. :( I wish someone made a reasonable set of wireless headphones with a mic (that aren't a total abortion for PC users). Still waiting for Corsair to get on it.

I find that a bit hard to belive becuases other recommend it over Tritton and Psyko Headset
beside there only that selling analog headphone with out that decoder rigth now where even one else you pay $60/80 more for the Dolby Digital decoder which I have no need for but would cool for PS3 and Xbox 360 or something like that.

It dose matter if you after realistic true Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound and not the fake Virtual stuff which dosen't cut it with me it dosen't sound realistic.

I bought one of the Sharkoon headsets earlier in the year because of it's ability to be used on consoles and the PC. I regretted it the moment I turned it on. Comfort wise it was fine. The amount of wires was insane, but expected. I'd heard good things about it as well and the price was around what I was looking for. The sound was utterly horrible. I tried every possible connection on both my PC and my PS3. I couldn't get anything resembling good sound. I tried looking up any information at all on their website and that was a useless endeavor. I ended up returning them to Amazon the next day.

Alright, next investment would be a good headset. I wonder how these would compare to SteelSeries' H and Siberia headsets.

A problem I have with some headsets is they feel like Im holding my hands over my ears causing my voice to get louder. Does the 1500 have this problem?
No. The Vengeance 1500 feels very comfortable. The slanted headband was a new design that proved very effective in alleviating the "pinch" or binding that people, like me, with big heads feel.

I bought one of the Sharkoon headsets earlier in the year because of it's ability to be used on consoles and the PC. I regretted it the moment I turned it on. Comfort wise it was fine. The amount of wires was insane, but expected. I'd heard good things about it as well and the price was around what I was looking for. The sound was utterly horrible. I tried every possible connection on both my PC and my PS3. I couldn't get anything resembling good sound. I tried looking up any information at all on their website and that was a useless endeavor. I ended up returning them to Amazon the next day.
That dumber Derangel that didn't work out for you.
I'am digg my set and I just love the microfiber cloth ear padding
Yup the amount of wires was insane but if you look at the other one's have same problem as well.

Last edited:
No. The Vengeance 1500 feels very comfortable. The slanted headband was a new design that proved very effective in alleviating the "pinch" or binding that people, like me, with big heads feel.

Sounds good, I might pick these up.

Thanks!

The 1500 would probably sound better in that case.

So getting the 1300 for me would make no sense whatsoever?

how are these compared to CoolerMaster's Storm Sirus 5.1 headphones?

All I can say is that these are some awesome headphones. Now I know what I want for X-Mas.

Santa, I've been a good boy this year, please bring me a pair. If not, fuck-it, I'll buy my own! :D

http://www.puparu.com

Ok I gotta ask to be clear as at this point I am just becoming confused.

I have a Soundblaster X-fi Fatality edition. I right now am using the Creative Fatality headset which is pretty decent. It isn't my MedUSA 5.1's by any stretch, but they died and at that time I couldn't afford $150 for another headset. I am a die hard corsair guy when it comes to ram, honestly I don't remember the last time I bought anything else. I have been extremely impressed with their if USB one is better. Though I am thinking you are just referring to the USB as compared to onboard sound, but I want to be crystal clear.

So Corsair Analog + SB X-fi > Corsair USB? Is this a correct statement?

If you like being a soldier on the battlefield in your games, then the Vengeance 1300 with your dedicated, quality sound card would be the best choice.

If you like being the commander of your clan or you want to hear every single detail happening both near and far, then the Vengeance 1500 is the best choice.

Corsair has made the best two 5.1 headsets we have ever used. If you have never used a 5.1 headset, either of Corsair's models will definitely change your mind.

As we said in the review, the Vengeance 1500 USB reproduces sounds in front and behind us instead of above and below us. The "above and below" effect is what usually happens with those 4 drivers crammed in each ear cup models.

Last edited:
Both look like great headphones, but I'm at the point now where I would like to have a combo-set with Analog and Digital connections. Can anyone reccomend a good set that is both Analog and Digital? I looked around breifly but was looking for some suggestions.

Reason I ask is I'd like to have a nice headset for my future Asus Transformer Prime and figured the USB would be best for use on a Tablet considering the marginal sound Tablets typically produce. Then be able to use them on my desktop which has an XFi Platinum with 51/4 Bay.

As we said in the review, the Vengeance 1500 USB reproduces sounds in front and behind us instead of above and below us.
Frist of all they didn't say that in the review
The "above and below" effect is what usually happens with those 4 drivers crammed in each ear cup models.
That so wrong I have been using realistic true Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound Headset for over 6 years now and they don't have "above and below" effect

Dekoth-E- if like your MedUSA 5.1 then you like the one I just got Sharkoon X-Tatic Analog 5.1 Headset there no point in getting Corsair Stereo headset.
They both use a tech called Dolby Virtual Speaker transforms your stereo (two-channel) and 5.1-channel content into a virtual surround when using rigth option in the software so both of them are nothing more the reg Stereo headset.

We did. Perhaps you did not see it in the movie review section.

"The Vengeance 1500 only has two drivers in its ear cups, but it did a great job of reproducing a true 5.1 audio track. We have used many USB headsets that do an awful job of 5.1 or 7.1 surround simulation. Some of those tend to produce the front stereo channels in the top of the headset's ear cups and the rear channels in the bottom. With the Vengeance 1500, we heard all of the movie's surround sound actions where we expected them to be: in front, to our sides, or behind us."

Frist of all they didn't say that in the review

That so wrong I have been using realistic true Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound Headset for over 6 years now and they don't have "above and below" effect

Dekoth-E- if like your MedUSA 5.1 then you like the one I just got Sharkoon X-Tatic Analog 5.1 Headset there no point in getting Corsair Stereo headset.

They both use a tech called Dolby Virtual Speaker transforms your stereo (two-channel) and 5.1-channel content into a virtual surround when using rigth option in the software so both of them are nothing more the reg Stereo headset.

Thanks for the info.

I think I might give the USB ones a try and see if they reproduce accurately enough. I do a ton of voice coms as well as shooters and hearing every little detail is critical to me. Worst case is if I don't like the reproduction of the USB I just exchange them for the Analog.

Back