Corsair TX750 fan rattle and RMA craziness

Alrighty, the AX750 is installed. I gotta say, the difference in noise level between the TX750 and the AX750 is like night and day.

Being modular greatly cleaned up my wiring, and I guess my idle power consumption is less than 150w, because the fan doesn't even bother spinning up. Very happy about that.

Corsair's never did contact me with any instructions. Guess I'll just keep the TX750 boxed up for now.

Alrighty, the AX750 is installed. I gotta say, the difference in noise level between the TX750 and the AX750 is like night and day.

Being modular greatly cleaned up my wiring, and I guess my idle power consumption is less than 150w, because the fan doesn't even bother spinning up. Very happy about that.

Corsair's never did contact me with any instructions. Guess I'll just keep the TX750 boxed up for now.

Are you sure they didnt tell you to send it to me?!? :p

Glad to hear it ended good.

Post your RMA number or numbers and I'll get CSG to follow up with you on the TX750 and thanks for your patience in all of this. I think Redbeard is vacationing on a nice tropical island some place so I'll follow up.

Just the most recent RMA number, or all of them?

Also, does it matter if I post them here or PM them to you?

Alright, here are all the RMA numbers I've been through. Most recent at the top, oldest at the bottom:

Went grave-digging to find this thread. Looks like it's not over yet...

The AX750 they sent me just died. Made a clicking noise and powered down this-morning, just after resuming my system from sleep mode. Refused to power up again, even running stand-alone.

They never got back to me to reclaim the TX750 that started this whole mess, so I've had it boxed this whole time. Went ahead and threw it back in my system, so I'm up and running again...

Guess I'll set up an RMA for the AX750 now.... It didn't even quite make it to the 2-year mark before burning up *sigh*

Last edited:
Well, just got the RMA submitted for the AX750. Tried to do it last night, but Corsair's website was down for maintenance...

I was browsing Corsair's website, and it doesn't look like the AX750 is actually in production anymore... so what should I expect as a replacement? An AX760?

I wonder if they changed fans or designs over the years on the TX750... I'm surprised they even make the TX750 anymore.

I've got one from around 2010 and its quiet as anything else I've heard.

I wonder if they changed fans or designs over the years on the TX750... I'm surprised they even make the TX750 anymore.

I've got one from around 2010 and its quiet as anything else I've heard.
They don't make the TX750 anymore. The entire TX line hasn't been in production for years.

Check the date in the original post, this thread has been going since 2012 :p

Basically, here's what's happened so far:
1. Originally purchased TX 750 had a ticking fan,so I got an advanced replacement.
2. Advanced replacement arrived, same problem, sent it back.
3. Another advanced replacement arrived, same problem, sent it back.
4. Corsair upgraded me to an AX 750, worked for almost 2 years, then blew up.
5. They never actually collected the original unit from me, so I'm back on the original TX 750, with its ticking fan.

So now I'm waiting on them to replace my AX 750, wondering what they'll give me as a replacement since they don't actually make the AX 750 anymore...

They don't make the TX750 anymore. The entire TX line hasn't been in production for years.

Check the date in the original post, this thread has been going since 2012 :p

Ha... I see... I guess there's a reason my title is newb :D

Depends on how they determine equivalence... Feature-wise, the AX760 is a near-perfect match to replace the AX750. Specs are identical, aside from the +12v rail increasing by 1A on the AX760.

Price-wise is another story. MSRP on an AX750 was $199. MSRP on an AX760 is only $179. To replace my PSU with a product of equal-or-greater value, they'd have to give me an AX760i, which has an MSRP of $209.

Depends on how they determine equivalence... Feature-wise, the AX760 is a near-perfect match to replace the AX750. Specs are identical, aside from the +12v rail increasing by 1A on the AX760.

Price-wise is another story. MSRP on an AX750 was $199. MSRP on an AX760 is only $179. To replace my PSU with a product of equal-or-greater value, they'd have to give me an AX760i, which has an MSRP of $209.

Wouldn't the operative warranty be for the TX750, as that was the good you actually purchased from them? I'd imagine that opens a whole range of replacement possibilities.

I don't believe that replacement products carry a warranty greater than what was originally purchased in most instances. For example, when my U3011 had to be replaced, it didn't extend my warranty past the original three year expiration point despite being a newer build.

But who knows, Corsair is pretty good with RMA'ing items in my experience.

Dunno, but I couldn't submit another RMA for the TX750. It's now well outside of its warranty period.

The AX750 they sent me was a full retail boxed unit with its own 7-year warranty. Seems they went ahead and gave me a full blown upgrade. Their RMA form took all my information and spat out an RMA #, so I guess it's valid.

^lucky,

I've have a cx 500. Worked for 4 years so far, no problem

I am going to upgrade to a hx750 now IT is waiting to be setup
Hope there is no problems on it!
Im glad that corsair has such a great RMA program and they are able to work with you.

^lucky,

I've have a cx 500. Worked for 4 years so far, no problem

I am going to upgrade to a hx750 now IT is waiting to be setup
Hope there is no problems on it!
Im glad that corsair has such a great RMA program and they are able to work with you.

Corsair was excellent when I RMA'd an HX850 for a noisy fan (sounded like something was clipping, but I couldn't see anything.) I never had to speak to a real person and received a brand new power supply rather quickly. I had actually purchased the AX850 that is now in my HTPC in the interim, so I ended up donating the HX850 to a friend's computer.

Bit off topic, but I also RMA'd some RAM with them a few years back. I had built a few computers for family members (this was back when an Athlon II 640 quad core was a good budget built) and used some 4GB XMS3 kits. I must have hit a bad batch, because all of the original RAM went bad within a few months and had to be replaced. Their RMA service was again top notch, but by the time I had the third set of the stuff go bad I just trash canned it. Super strange, but I'd still buy from them in the future (maybe not the budget RAM.)

Ok, so I just unboxed and installed a shiny new AX760. Guess that means Corsair ships a unit with feature-equivalence, not a unit of equal-or-greater value.

Anyway... the new unit has SEVERE coil whine when running anything remotely stressful. It literally sounds like someone playing a kazoo inside my case. I've already read about multiple people who've experienced the same problem, and were issued RMAs because of it.

So, chalk this up as ANOTHER bodged RMA. I'm really getting tired of this (this is the 6th PSU in a row with some kind of issue)... how do I set up an RMA for a bad RMA, exactly?

Adding insult to injury, the box they sent the AX760 in is too small to use as a return-shipping box for the AX750 (the AX750 has a significantly larger retail box than the AX760). So I'm going to have to buy a box to return the AX 750.

Last edited:
Ok, so I just unboxed and installed a shiny new AX760. Guess that means Corsair ships a unit with feature-equivalence, not a unit of equal-or-greater value.

Anyway... the new unit has SEVERE coil whine when running anything remotely stressful. It literally sounds like someone playing a kazoo inside my case. I've already read about multiple people who've experienced the same problem, and were issued RMAs because of it.

So, chalk this up as ANOTHER bodged RMA. I'm really getting tired of this (this is the 6th PSU in a row with some kind of issue)... how do I set up an RMA for a bad RMA, exactly?

Adding insult to injury, the box they sent the AX760 in is too small to use as a return-shipping box for the AX750 (the AX750 has a significantly larger retail box than the AX760). So I'm going to have to buy a box to return the AX 750.

Whenever I read these threads I wonder... Have I just gotten lucky for the past 15+ years I have RMA'd with multiple companies big and small? Or do people exaggerate on the internet?

Fwiw I have had exactly zero issues with corsair in 15+ years. And never had something be bad twice or more after a RMA.

I shot off a PM to both Redbeard (yesterday) and Mike Clements (today). Hopefully they can get back to me on how I should proceed here, before I sink any deeper into RMA-hell.

Came back from lunch and found a pile of e-mail from Corsair waiting in my inbox. They set up a new advanced replacement (this time, for the AX 760).

Hopefully the next one works as expected...

Oh boy, here we go again.

They did manage to send me a seemingly good AX760, though it's now having issues as well. It's not meeting ATX spec for hold-up time (minimum 17ms runtime without power), so the PSU often resets if my UPS trips over to batteries. In addition, the 5v_sb rail isn't holding 5v anymore, so standby mode is getting pretty unreliable.

I'm trying to start an RMA for this AX760, but Corsair support is demanding a retail invoice in order to process the RMA. Obviously, no invoice exists, because this was an RMA replacement, not a retail purchase. I left my phone number with them and asked them to call me, in hopes of getting this straightened out.

IDK dude, your post in 2012 suggests the PSU was almost out of its 5 year warranty then. So you bought that first TX in 2007? I think 15 years is a pretty good run, even if it was littered with RMAs. Hehe.

Good luck with your PSU process! I seriously wish the best for you! .. and now i wonder how long that rm1000x I bought a couple months ago will last lol.

Seems like Corsair honors the warranty of the replacement unit in full, though this may only be the case in situations where they have to replace the defective unit with a completely different and/or newer model.

Still, out of all the power supplies they've sent me, I'd like just one to actually last longer than its warranty... TX750 didn't make it, AX750 didn't make it, AX760 didn't make it. I'd stop requesting RMAs if just one of these lasted longer than its warranty period...

Seems like Corsair honors the warranty of the replacement unit in full, though this may only be the case in situations where they have to replace the defective unit with a completely different and/or newer model.

Still, out of all the power supplies they've sent me, I'd like just one to actually last longer than its warranty... TX750 didn't make it, AX750 didn't make it, AX760 didn't make it. I'd stop requesting RMAs if just one of these lasted longer than its warranty period...
It's been 8 years. How long of a warranty do they have? 10?

I would think use case would determine how long you can expect it to last, although that's on the OEM to not consider all scenarios.

I think you got your money's worth out of your original purchase and should probably just buy a new PSU and probably from a different brand.

My TX750 and AX760 are both still running strong, so maybe you have power issues or something at your residence if they keep failing?

I think you got your money's worth out of your original purchase and should probably just buy a new PSU and probably from a different brand.

My TX750 and AX760 are both still running strong, so maybe you have power issues or something at your residence if they keep failing?
I've lived at 5 different locations throughout all these RMAs. If it's a problem with the power grid that's killing these units, then it's a problem that spans the entire state of California.

The power supply is generally well protected, as it has been connected through a APC SmartUPS 1500 for the last 5 years or so (this is a pure sign wave UPS, so it's pretty gentle on anything connected to it). Problem is, the power supply no longer meets ATX spec for hold-up time, so a UPS can't even save it from power blips sometimes.

It's hard to feel like I've gotten my money's worth when the units keep failing. But, you're right, I'm pretty sure my next power supply won't be from Corsair.

I've lived at 5 different locations throughout all these RMAs. If it's a problem with the power grid that's killing these units, then it's a problem that spans the entire state of California.

The power supply is generally well protected, as it has been connected through a APC SmartUPS 1500 for the last 5 years or so (this is a pure sign wave UPS, so it's pretty gentle on anything connected to it). Problem is, the power supply no longer meets ATX spec for hold-up time, so a UPS can't even save it from power blips sometimes.

It's hard to feel like I've gotten my money's worth when the units keep failing. But, you're right, I'm pretty sure my next power supply won't be from Corsair.

Fair enough.

Seriously what Im thinking.. Like you got a good run out of it.. Things are dirt cheap.. Just buy a new one.. and move on.. Company is excellent and makes good product.. 1-5 people on a forum talking about their 8-15 yr old rma psu... time to move on .. Just buy a different brand...

I had a early Corsair 750 many years ago. It had a noisy fan. I just swapped it over for a Be Quiet fan or similar. Took half an hour. It's still running 10 year later in a old system somewhere.

I still buy Corsair.

I mean, the power grid has only burned down a few towns and thousands of acres over the past few years..

Might have marginal caps. I'd say recap the unit with quality caps, but that'd cost half as much as a new unit.

Back