Corsair SF600 600w SFX Powersupply

It would be nice to hear from both owners of the SF450 and SF600 in terms of noise under gaming loads. From multiple forum threads I have read, the SF600's fan ramps up more aggressively. Also, I am not quite feeling SFX-L, though I may give the Silverstone SFX-L 500w a chance if a V2.0 comes out to fix the fan issues. It would be nice to see some SFX designs from SuperFlower and Seasonic in the near future.

It would be nice to hear from both owners of the SF450 and SF600 in terms of noise under gaming loads. From multiple forum threads I have read, the SF600's fan ramps up more aggressively. Also, I am not quite feeling SFX-L, though I may give the Silverstone SFX-L 500w a chance if a V2.0 comes out to fix the fan issues. It would be nice to see some SFX designs from SuperFlower and Seasonic in the near future.
I have gone through both and the fan on my sf600 turned on even at idle, although my room is relatively hot in summer and I am currently using the rvz02 case (until my a4 sfx arrives) so have no case fans. This was also the case with my sx500 lg. I have however yet to see the sf450 fan turn on (except at power on), although I got it only recently and have yet to do a lot of stress testing.

From what I read (esp. Tom's Hardware review), the SF600 has slightly worse QC where the fan curve may be more aggressive than needed, but also has the issue of getting really hot since its a 600w psu in such a small, constrained space. I kind of wish Corsair released an SF500 (Silverstone has a non-modular 500w unit) in the near future as that would give me more of a peace of mind should I use a GTX 1080 level gpu. I know that a GTX 1080 build should be fine on the SF450, but it would be nice to have just that slight 50w overhead.

Maybe there should just be a SF550 to replace the SF600 as I feel that a 600w unit is not as sensible in a SFX form factor. Due to power efficiency of gpus now, seems that 500w is really all that is needed for even moderate overclocks for an i7 and GTX 1080 level gpu.

Last edited:
I have gone through both and the fan on my sf600 turned on even at idle, although my room is relatively hot in summer and I am currently using the rvz02 case (until my a4 sfx arrives) so have no case fans. This was also the case with my sx500 lg. I have however yet to see the sf450 fan turn on (except at power on), although I got it only recently and have yet to do a lot of stress testing.

It's interesting because, I just re-read this entire thread and took a look at the corsair forums and there are a few issues that should be addressed about the SF600 removing the fact that there are a good number of people that are perfectly happy with it. There is the issue that sweclockers and tomshardware never re-reviewed or received new units to update their original reviews regarding the aggressive profiling. This might have a role to play with the next part. There is also this other issue in where the fan, once it turns on after power up, will not turn off again. It's been discussed at least twice in this thread and once on corsair's forums recently (SF600 Fan controller - The Corsair User Forums). Search for octagon's posts in this thread as an example. It seems that the temperature probe within the PSU is a little too sensitive and that once it reaches a certain value it just doesn't want to shut the fan off again. There were also a couple of scattered reports of weird noises but it felt like that was pretty rare. Either way I haven't come across anyone reporting these issues with the SF450 units.

I feel that with Silvestone releasing a 500w sfx gold psu, I could see Corsair making a 500w sfx gold, maybe even platinum rated psu. The extra $30 or so for the SF600 is not the problem for me. The problem is that the SF600 has worse QC than the SF450 and it has to do with the fan and noise. It also does not surprise me that it is more sensitive to temperatures as it is a 600w psu in such a small enclosure.

i agree all you said man....i would build a pc with i5 6600 gtx 1080 8gb 2133 noctua l9i and dan a4-sfx. i undecided between sf450 but i'm worried at gaming in heavy load for noise and Silverstone sfx-l 700w platinum to stay in silence mode during all operation :)

do anyone use sf450 with 1070-1080 and tell me how is it in gaming mode in tems of noise???

Last edited:
do anyone use sf450 with sf450 and tell me how is it in gaming mode in tems of noise???

This doesn't make sense :) In my system the SF450 is not hearable. Most graphics card and especially SFF CPU coolers are way louder than it.

i agree all you said man....i would build a pc with i5 6600 gtx 1080 8gb 2133 noctua l9i and dan a4-sfx. i undecided between sf450 but i'm worried at gaming in heavy load for noise and Silverstone sfx-l 700w platinum to stay in silence mode during all operation :)

My build was ASUS 1070 Strix and i5-6600k in a Silverstone ML08, so YMMV, but I wasn't able to use the SX700-LPT because there wasn't enough load to turn the fans on, and I'd get power failures after an hour or two of gaming. While I was worried about noise from the smaller fan, I switched to a SF600, and was pleasantly surprised with the sound. Hardly noticeable vs my AR06 CPU cooler.

EDIT: SilverStone's Tony Ou has confirmed an update of the SX700-LPT that should address the issue with restarts at moderately low power draw
Silverstone SX700-LPT 700W Platinum SFX-L

Last edited:
do anyone use sf450 with 1070-1080 and tell me how is it in gaming mode in tems of noise???
I can give you a bit of feedback. I have the sf450 with a i7-6770k and gigabyte 1070itx. I have been testing the system mainly for temps using prime and furmark, and in gaming. The psu has been inaudible compared to the cpu and gpu fans. Using killawatt, i am drawing 255w maximum at the plug which is not much for the psu.
Also, i can confirm that my psu fan is off at low power output (web browsing and such).

I can give you a bit of feedback. I have the sf450 with a i7-6770k and gigabyte 1070itx. I have been testing the system mainly for temps using prime and furmark, and in gaming. The psu has been inaudible compared to the cpu and gpu fans. Using killawatt, i am drawing 255w maximum at the plug which is not much for the psu.
Also, i can confirm that my psu fan is off at low power output (web browsing and such).

Thanks for the information. I think it is safe to say that for the Dan A4 owners including me, an i7 6700k (max OC of 4.2 GHz) and even a GTX 1080 should run fine with the SF450.

How good are the moddiy cables?

It doesn't matter how good they are. 3 short cables for $70 when the PSU costs $90? It's robbery. Corsair needs to take a page from Silverstone's book here and provide a cheap short cable set for power and SATA for a low cost. The ones included in the box are simply way too long.

Anyone have coil whine after switching to the SF600? A 980 Ti and 1080 had no issues with a Corsair AX860 but with the SF600 both cards have terrible buzzing. Wondering if anyone else has had an issue switching over?

Anyone have coil whine after switching to the SF600? A 980 Ti and 1080 had no issues with a Corsair AX860 but with the SF600 both cards have terrible buzzing. Wondering if anyone else has had an issue switching over?

It seems you got the short straw when it comes to hardware combinations. Certain combinations can cause coil whine, and I don't know what can be done about it, other than switching hardware... Sounds strange that the SF600 causes this though, since it's a high quality PSU.

It seems you got the short straw when it comes to hardware combinations. Certain combinations can cause coil whine, and I don't know what can be done about it, other than switching hardware... Sounds strange that the SF600 causes this though, since it's a high quality PSU.

Tried a different SF600 and no luck. Tried 4 1080s that all had coil whine went and put my 980 Ti that I know had 0 coil whine and it whines too. I can't think of anything else that it could be other than the PSU causing this. Any ideas?

Tried a different SF600 and no luck. Tried 4 1080s that all had coil whine went and put my 980 Ti that I know had 0 coil whine and it whines too. I can't think of anything else that it could be other than the PSU causing this. Any ideas?
Try a SF450?

Could anyone tell me what's the diameter of the hole of the fan on the cover of the psu? I'm trying to make an adapter plate for a 120mm fan but I don't have the psu in person.

Could anyone tell me what's the diameter of the hole of the fan on the cover of the psu? I'm trying to make an adapter plate for a 120mm fan but I don't have the psu in person.

The circular fan cutout is 88mm in diameter :)

Made a pinout for the SF600, if it doesn't exist already.

v1FAzqG.jpg

I was looking at the sleeved versions of this cables, as well at the shorty's versions with extensions, and they don't have the look that i want... It's just messy...

I'm gonna try a custom sleeving following an idea that your pinout picture gave me...

The idea is to try to make it look as good as possible, like a extension (without a mess in the connectors)

I'll remove all the double wires on the motherboard side and make "jumpers" in the psu side...

The jumpers will be black, non-sleeved, hidden between the 18+10 connectors and the two lines of sleeved cables...

I'll post some pictures later today (if i finish it today...)

This is gonna take my whole day off today :)

I was looking at the sleeved versions of this cables, as well at the shorty's versions with extensions, and they don't have the look that i want... It's just messy...

I'm gonna try a custom sleeving following an idea that your pinout picture gave me...

The idea is to try to make it look as good as possible, like a extension (without a mess in the connectors)

I'll remove all the double wires on the motherboard side and make "jumpers" in the psu side...

The jumpers will be black, non-sleeved, hidden between the 18+10 connectors and the two lines of sleeved cables...

I'll post some pictures later today (if i finish it today...)

This is gonna take my whole day off today :)

Absolutely agree on the mess - I kinda regret ordering custom cables. If I hadn't, I doubt I would have gained the experience of modding the sleeving/crimping etc... but for the price, I do wish it was cleaner.
Let us know how they turn out!!

As you can see, the idea is to use it in the Dan A4 (with the same mobo as the video...), but if i wanted to do a straight one, it would come out just like a extension... with the exception of the psu side, where the top line goes down and the bottom line goes up...

Why do you use "jumpers"?

because corsair decided to put double wires in 4 different spots, in the mobo side connector...

What i did is, using the same pinout, to put short jumpers (aka double wires) in the psu side, and hide them...

That way i only have 23 sleeved wires going from the psu to the mobo, for a cleaner look.

The idea was to make it look as close as possible to a extension :)

Hmm, I thought you could just remove the extra wires since they aren't crucial for the operation, ending up with 4 empty extra holes on the psu connectors. Still not sure why the jumpers are needed. But I am a bit tired right now. :)

Those extra pins I remember are labeled voltage sense - presumably so the PSU can compensate for voltage drop across the length of the main 24-pin cable. I can't imagine it being very relevant in SFF applications. I'm not sure if having the jumpers on the PSU end makes any sense at all, but I suppose it can't hurt.

Personally I think sleeving makes the cable look way too bulking for the sort of lengths typical in SFF builds.

I'm not sure if having the jumpers on the PSU end makes any sense at all, but I suppose it can't hurt.

Well...

If you have 2 wires coming from different pins of the psu, and they are put together in a single pin on the mobo side connector...

What's the DIFFERENCE if i put them together at the beginning (psu side) of the connector or at the end (mobo side) of the connector???

ABSOLUTELY NONE (electronically wise)

Now...

If we consider the fact of having a single sleeved wire per connector slot (24 pin connector),

instead of having 4 double sleeved wires across the connector (24 pin connector again)...

What's the DIFFERENCE???

A LOT!!! (cosmetic/looking wise)

Consider this...

- You just can't use cable combs with the stock cable config (27 wires on the mobo connector WTF?)
- You can't do a proper pattern (it won't be simmetrical)
- Double wire sleeving is a nightmare (not impossible, just difficult)
- If you can make it look like a extension (clean and straight)... Why not?
- It won't hurt at all, electronically wise, is exactly the same...

And...

I HAD A LOT OF FUN BY DOING IT :)

Well...

If you have 2 wires coming from different pins of the psu, and they are put together in a single pin on the mobo side connector...

What's the DIFFERENCE if i put them together at the beginning (psu side) of the connector or at the end (mobo side) of the connector???

ABSOLUTELY NONE (electronically wise)
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2015/july/explanation-of-rmi-new-type-4-cables
The 24-pin of the Type 4 cable set also has a unique feature not implemented in the standard Type 3 cables. There are a total of 28-pins where the cable plugs into the PSU's modular interface, instead of the usual 24-pins. The extra four pins are "sense wires". While a +3.3V sense is part of the ATX standard and is found on most PSUs, it is not often implemented. The RMi not only utilizes the +3.3V sense on the ATX connector, but also utilizes an additional +12V sense and +5V sense. These sense wires read the voltages at the load (the end of the cable) and can increase voltage automatically if voltages drop.

I was basically responding to Mackan agreeing that the jumpers aren't needed.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2015/july/explanation-of-rmi-new-type-4-cables

I was basically responding to Mackan agreeing that the jumpers aren't needed.

I'm not trying to argue here, just trying to get informed...

That said...

Does that mean that i should leave the "sense wires" the way they were before?

I mean, that article is talking about the RM1000i psu...

They mention reduced voltage ripple through theese sense wires and capacitors (in the wires)

The sf600 doesn't have thoose capacitors... just saying, not trying to argue...

Besides i tried my connectors (with jumpers) and they work just fine :)

Should i revert what i did???

I am not sure if the possible voltage drops is of any real significance to justify the sense wires. One could argue that maybe they cheap out on the internal components of the PSU, and compensate that with the sense wires (and capacitors on RMi series), but I really don't know. I prefer no double wires or capacitors, they just make life hard for sleevers.

Neat. I ordered a 450W unit just earlier from Amazon. Time to see if this will replace my whining Silverstone 600W unit (which I bought since it was supposed to be quiet... same with my 450W Silverstone).

All it has to do is not whine at idle. Something the 600W Silverstone and a passive Seasonic (fullsize) have failed to do.

FT03 Mini with a Pentium G4400, Gigabyte 110N board, 32GB of DDR4 (with the wildest ram heatsinks I've seen yet - can I remove these? They block almost all of the airflow from the main case fan to my CPU heatsink), and a GTX 1050Ti.

Now, it is almost whisper silent. No coil whine from the PSU (450W Corsair SFX) at idle or under load. The old, loud, whiny Silverstone 600W SFX will be retired until I can find a better use for it.

That being said, the FT03 Mini has massive gaps in the top panel. Almost all of the air from the case fan escapes through those gaps, so none of it is really routed towards the CPU area. This design deficiency is not present in the FT03 fullsize. I think I am going to use a foam sticky strip to seal off of the gaps (roughly 3/4 cm in width, each gap spanning the entirety of the side it is on). That should bring CPU temps down. Otherwise, I have another, bigger HS on order. I am running this heatsink without a direct heatsink fan, since I have not yet found a heatsink fan that isn't noisy (or at least the noisiest component of the build). This works fine in my fullsize FT03, but that case doesn't waste almost all of its airflow.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but it looks like Corsair has added a bunch of SF series cables to there accessory page.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/power-supply-units/psu-accessories?accseries=RMi, RMx, SF|

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/sf-series-premium-individually-sleeved-psu-cable-kit-black

This is the relevant kit… Everything else, while it will work because of the correct pinout, is WAY too long for SFF builds…!

But for 40 bucks, it is a no brainer for anyone with a SF series PSU…!

Back