Corsair SF600 600w SFX Powersupply

Hmm.. was just checking out the Corsair cable config vs my current setup and Silverstone cable lengths. Seems I'm gonna have to add a 2-foot cable run, just to power my damn optical drive (4x SATA to 4x drives - if they'll actually reach from SSD to HDD; and then the stupid 4x molex to a slimSATA adapter).

Can't seem to find a SATA splitter to accommodate that (SATA in to 1x SATA out + 1x slimSATA out), and not really sure if a splitter like that would even be safe.

:confused:

Just an update that Amazon is started to ship their PSU pre-orders. I just got charged for mine and it changed to preparing for shipment

Just an update that Amazon is started to ship their PSU pre-orders. I just got charged for mine and it changed to preparing for shipment

Dang hopefully mine ships soon too. Would love to get it before the weekend.

I just wanted to make clear that the fan can come on even if the load is under what's on Corsair's chart if the temps are high enough.

Also, I stand partially corrected on the fan controller, it's a combination of the load and temperature: The Corsair User Forums - View Single Post - Standalone SF600 availability?

I still don't understand what your point was, given that fnordmans system should be equaly "hot" the 600w should be better because the fan start at a higher load than the 450W. Is the "temp fan controller" adjusted for that? or do the 600W kick out less heat? Or have I missed something?

I still don't understand what your point was, given that fnordmans system should be equaly "hot" the 600w should be better because the fan start at a higher load than the 450W. Is the "temp fan controller" adjusted for that? or do the 600W kick out less heat? Or have I missed something?

Additionally to aibohphobia's (fun to type) comment: We simply don't know what exact metrics it uses. Since it is load+temp based I'd guess that going with the 600w would indeed mean it may start at higher loads. I will say my 600w tends to stay fanless for a long time even with my 5820k loading it down. To test it I would have to bring my whole computer to work and hook it up to the PSU testing and temp probes which is probably more than I want to do.

Anyways, I'd think you would want the higher wattage PSU to be possibly silent longer but again, no way to know how it is calculated.

Thanks Anak, I think if I plug that splitter onto the last SATA plug, and then plug a small SATA to slimSATA adapter to the end of one of those, it should give me the 4x SATA + 1x slimSATA I need on one cable run.

Yes, that sounds like you are right.

But I think this should really be sufficient Amazon.com: StarTech.com PYO2SATA 6in SATA Power Y Splitter Cable Adapter - M/F: Computers & Accessories

As long as the cable connection and the SATA connector ar in-line with each other it should be fine. The Corsair connector connects either as an L-shape or T-shape and that isn't suitable for the M1 case.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Has anyone looked into pinout differences (if any?) between the Corsair and SilverStone SFX cables?

It would be cool if I could just swap out my silverstone unit, for the corsair w/o having to re-route all the cabling.

Last edited:
I have amazon prime and my PSU shipped but for some odd reason, They're not shipping it 2-days. Tracking says expected delivery Monday even though it was shipped yesterday. Oh well, need Monday to get here sooner so I can get this in hand

Has anyone looked into pinout differences (if any?) between the Corsair and SilverStone SFX cables?

It would be cool if I could just swap out my silverstone unit, for the corsair w/o having to re-route all the cabling.

Nope, unfortunately for anyone with a Silverstone unit already in place, the pinouts are different.

They have different pinouts. The cables from the SilverStone will not work with the Corsair.

I've posted this link before, but it is worth posting again...PSA: Modular power supply cables are NOT swappable between different units. Using the wrong cable could be a VERY expensive mistake. • /r/hardware

I found this post on Reddit when searching the same question...I have a Silverstone SFX PSU with three sets of cables (the set that comes with it, custom cables (for when I had the PSU in a FT-03 Mini), and the Silverstone PP05-E short cable set). My cable investment and how great everything currently fits in my M1 are the only reasons I haven't jumped on buying the Corsair SF450. I'm just sitting quietly, patiently waiting for Silverstone to release their new SFX 500 and 650W power supplies with 92mm fans :dead:

I've posted this link before, but it is worth posting again...PSA: Modular power supply cables are NOT swappable between different units. Using the wrong cable could be a VERY expensive mistake. • /r/hardware

I found this post on Reddit when searching the same question...I have a Silverstone SFX PSU with three sets of cables (the set that comes with it, custom cables (for when I had the PSU in a FT-03 Mini), and the Silverstone PP05-E short cable set). My cable investment and how great everything currently fits in my M1 are the only reasons I haven't jumped on buying the Corsair SF450. I'm just sitting quietly, patiently waiting for Silverstone to release their new SFX 500 and 650W power supplies with 92mm fans :dead:

Yeah, that is kinda common sense for anyone with an electronics background. I only asked since I was too lazy to ohm out the connectors ;P

My SF600 came yesterday, but all I did was look at the PSU. I'll either end up redoing the routing with the corsair cables, since there is probably not much sense in taking the existing cables out, ohming out both sets, and moving pins around... at that point I might has well just swap them :)

Mine arrived today. Still waiting on the Asetek 545lc CPU Cooler and that isnt due till next week so build is on hold til then.

Hope they make a sleeved cable set ^_^

166366.7dba2664bc324af6c2646006ec95f1d9.14050c00c9c8c4ee978d761e7e85f9c5.1600.jpg

I would think a sleeved cable set only really matters if you have a chassis with a window so one can actually see said sleeved cables; but that is just me…

Question though, how is the heat on the 950 Pro…? Any thermal throttling issues…?

I see that a few reviews are popping up on Newegg, one in particular annoyed me…

To quote:

none.gif
Decent PSU, Doesn't Include ATX Bracket

This review is from: CORSAIR SF600 600W SFX 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply

Pros: Small lightweight PSU that is ruined by one small flaw.

Cons: No ATX bracket included so only MITX that support SFX PSU's will work. Returning for Silverstone with ATX bracket.

That con there REALLY bugs me…!!! If the dude would have done the LEAST bit of research, he would have seen where Corsair CLEARLY states that an ATX bracket IS available, but is NOT included with the PSU…

SMH…

I'll either end up redoing the routing with the corsair cables, since there is probably not much sense in taking the existing cables out, ohming out both sets, and moving pins around

It's not just a matter of moving the pins around, several wires on the 24-pin and one on the PCIe are doubled on the Corsair set.

Got the SF450 today and I have to say I am loving it so far. My main aim was to keep my computer as quiet as possible. I moved from a Silverstone SFX PSU and I can tell the difference right away.

The Corsair is whisper quiet the PSU fan hasn't come on once but to be honest I don't really game a whole lot anymore and I am only running a 960GTX in my SFF system. So I am not really taxing the system a whole lot but I will try a few games and see if the fan kicks in.

I would think a sleeved cable set only really matters if you have a chassis with a window so one can actually see said sleeved cables; but that is just me…

Question though, how is the heat on the 950 Pro…? Any thermal throttling issues…?

I see that a few reviews are popping up on Newegg, one in particular annoyed me…

To quote:

none.gif

This review is from: CORSAIR SF600 600W SFX 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply

Cons: No ATX bracket included so only MITX that support SFX PSU's will work. Returning for Silverstone with ATX bracket.

That con there REALLY bugs me…!!! If the dude would have done the LEAST bit of research, he would have seen where Corsair CLEARLY states that an ATX bracket IS available, but is NOT included with the PSU…

SMH…

With those NE reviews you have to take them with a huge grain of salt. Half of the posters usually have no clue of what they are talking about. I rely more on legit reviewers and the community base here and some other good sites. NE and Amazon is a trolling ground much of the time. NE is especially bad.

To quote:

none.gif

SMH…

I'm not sure why that really bothers you. If other options come with an ATX adapter and this one doesn't that IS sort of the definition of a "con"

I'm not sure why that really bothers you. If other options come with an ATX adapter and this one doesn't that IS sort of the definition of a "con"

Because the buyer is returning the Corsair PSU for the sole reason that it does not come with the adapter, when he could have spent 10 minutes on the Internet & learned that an ATX adapter is available AT AN EXTRA COST…

Whether or not the adapter is included is irrelevant, the buyer is an idiot for returning a better PSU, which he is probably having to cover return shipping & possibly a restocking fee; or he could have just contacted Corsair & purchased the adapter…

The review reads with the tone that the PSU is no good simply because it does not include the adapter, which is ridiculous…

Because the buyer is returning the Corsair PSU for the sole reason that it does not come with the adapter, when he could have spent 10 minutes on the Internet & learned that an ATX adapter is available AT AN EXTRA COST…

Whether or not the adapter is included is irrelevant, the buyer is an idiot for returning a better PSU, which he is probably having to cover return shipping & possibly a restocking fee; or he could have just contacted Corsair & purchased the adapter…

The review reads with the tone that the PSU is no good simply because it does not include the adapter, which is ridiculous…

Well, lets be a little more clear here. Silverstone's SX600-G comes with a bracket so there is confusion there. Further, if you go to SF Series™ SF600 — 600 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified High Performance SFX PSU I don't believe "adapter"appears on ANY page there. Nor does "atx adapter" bring up any results on the entire Corsair website. Searching for SF600 ATX Adapter in google brings up reviews MENTIONING that you may need one but no results for an adapter. At this point I am not sure such an adapter exists that is made by Corsair. Thus, if the Newegg reviewer needed an adapter he may have no choice but to return the PSU. End users do NOT want to go research which stupid bracket fits their stupid PSU that is holding up their stupid build. They will simply issue a return and cross ship a PSU they don't have to research random ATX brackets for.

IMO the lack of adapter is pretty poor foresight by Corsair so I agree with Paul above and that reviewer that this is firmly in the con category for me.

I do love this PSU though and how long it stays in fanless mode for me.

edit: The Corsair User Forums - View Single Post - Standalone SF600 availability? is a post from TODAY stating
"The bracket will be sold separately and it is black. Don't mind the bracket shown in our video as it is an early model/version.

I have confirmation from our PSU PM that it is in stock but I have no ETA when it will be up on our site. For the curious, the p/n is CP-8920133*.

*pricing and availability subject to change =)"

Good luck finding that information unless you know that thread exists...

Last edited:
I agree that corsair should have at least included a ATX bracket. They don't even have one available I believe. I looked everywhere but end up having to purchase one made by silverstone to use this PSU in my CL S3 case.

But why would you use this SFX PSU in a case that supports ATX in the first place? There are far more good ATX PSUs with a better price/performance ratio and quietness than SFX. This is a good PSU, but IMHO it does only make sense in a case where no bigger one is supported. Ok, more space for cooler/airflow/cable management when using SFX, but that is far outweighted by the benefits of an ATX unit. Therefore I can understand Corsairs choice of not including an ATX bracket. It was simply not designed for being used in a case that supports bigger units.

But why would you use this SFX PSU in a case that supports ATX in the first place? There are far more good ATX PSUs with a better price/performance ratio and quietness than SFX. This is a good PSU, but IMHO it does only make sense in a case where no bigger one is supported. Ok, more space for cooler/airflow/cable management when using SFX, but that is far outweighted by the benefits of an ATX unit. Therefore I can understand Corsairs choice of not including an ATX bracket. It was simply not designed for being used in a case that supports bigger units.

Because using one in SG13. That's far from the only SFF case that can take ATX.

It's not available now as indicated by Corsair and it is at an EXTRA cost as you noted. So, I could get a different product that for all intents and purposes is a functional substitute for LESS and it is complete in one order not two cryptic ones. That is sort of the defintion of a con.

No, it reads like someone who got a product that didn't have what they needed when another comparable product did resulting them in getting a different product. What IS ridiculous is someone getting "particularly annoyed" about a user running into an issue and reporting it so other people who may just be shopping at a retailer are very aware of it. Would you be particularly annoyed if someone posted a review telling you that Nike's ran a bit narrower than Adidas and since it pinches their foot they are going with something else?

My replacement SF600 arrived yesterday and so far so good. The fan doenst give weird noise like the previous one. Both units give out slight high pitch coil noise on idle though, but still I am not 100% sure it is the PSU, I just never heard of the noise with silverstone.
To give Corsiar its credit, the RMA process is impressive. I opened a ticket last Friday, got response on Tuesday saying a replacement unit was about to be sent out and a return shipping label as well. A brand new SF600 arrived on Thursday.

Is there any independent review with actual load testing? RHTX doesn't show anything yet.

And has Corsair mentioned why there was no 80Plus testing done at Ecova, despite Corsair using the 80Plus logo in their marketing?

Fan noise is important of course, but before I order I'm still wondering about the actual supply of power :)

Is there any independent review with actual load testing? RHTX doesn't show anything yet.

And has Corsair mentioned why there was no 80Plus testing done at Ecova, despite Corsair using the 80Plus logo in their marketing?

Fan noise is important of course, but before I order I'm still wondering about the actual supply of power :)

Yeah, it'd be nice if one of the folks with a good setup and oscilloscopes could get their hands on one. I'd love to see how clean the power it delivers is.

I couldn't take the noise from my silverstone any more, the chirping was loud enough that it was the only thing I could hear in my room with the PC on. I've got a corsair 450w coming in today :)

It would be interesting to see what the electrical engineering tests of these will look like. I'm most interested in reliability...not that I have a whole lot of experience, but I had an antec PSU that blew when I was still building ATX, so I had been using Seasonics only out of paranoia in the ATX world. So far, with Corsair, the most (relevant or non-relevant?) features I've seen so far:

Pros:
-corsair engineering and spec
-larger fan w/ corsair custom fan controller and bearing design
-good capacitors

Unknowns:
-OEM manufacturer (Great Wall). Hopefully, though Corsair having a lot of experience in sourcing manufacturing, they have figured out how to design/spec things to desired quality/reliability.

vs. Silverstone - questionable fan controller/quality, otherwise considered reasonably good quality/reliability.

Basically the two scenarios I'd be building would be stock Core i5/i7/GTX 980 equivalent for gaming, and I would be looking at doing a Titan X/E5-something something for some computing/DNN work. I have been using silverstone's 450W ones for the former, but the latter, my guess is I'd need something a tad higher than that.

Wish Seasonic would enter the fray...they have a 300 W one, but that's it.

Last edited:
Just got mine in ncase m1, quiet but now my 980 Ti is super loud (compared to everything else).

Just got mine in ncase m1, quiet but now my 980 Ti is super loud (compared to everything else).

I'm using a EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card, which lets me turn the fans off when under little or no load. Keeps things wisper quiet :)

I'm using a EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card, which lets me turn the fans off when under little or no load. Keeps things wisper quiet :)

Yeah, I barely game too so might switch to the quietest card I could find.

The system in my sig is absolutely very quiet at idle. I turned my case around so I could watch the PSU fan and it stays off when not gaming. I had to put my ear close to the case to even hear the PSU fan running.

The system in my sig is absolutely very quiet at idle. I turned my case around so I could watch the PSU fan and it stays off when not gaming. I had to put my ear close to the case to even hear the PSU fan running.

How'd you get C14 to fit on 2011 narrow ?

Back