Corsair RM750 750W Power Supply Review @ [H]

Wow Corsair please take a step back and don't go down this road .... Fuck here we go again

Agreed! Once your reputation goes to shit <cough> OCZ <cough> there is no coming back.

Corsair has way too many PSU product lines anyways. VS, GS, CX, VX, TX, RM, HX, and AX. Really? Cut that down to four:

1) Entry level (250-550w). Completely wired.
2) Enthusiast (450-750w). Semi-mod.
3) High-End (650-1050w). Fully-mod.
4) HALO (750-1500w). Fully-mod + upgradable + custom, etc, etc.

But regardless of the line it must stay 100% within the ATX specs @ 50c. Oh, and work!

Definitely one to avoid. Even if the fan had worked properly this unit is a step backwards from the TX Series units which Corsair reps are now saying are EOL. It is unfortunate that Corsair has chosen to replace the TX units with a worse performing and more expensive product. They seem kind of like a ship without a rudder right now.

[facepalm]
Uhhhhhhhh.

I get the idea behind modulars. I've had modulars. I don't like the little flat ribbon cables that are a PITA to do anything with.

I loved my VX psu, I love the 2 TX series I have now. I've owned 2 HX and I hated the damn ribbon cables.

I assume this means they're going modular only unless you want to really cheap out and buy a CX or [gasp] GS. I'm definitely going to look elsewhere for psus. That's a damn shame, because the TX series (especially the V2's) are phenomenal units and IMHO are the best bang for the buck PSU's around.

I agree with you, Paul - I think they're diversifying too much for their own good. Used to be VX and HX....now there's too many damn product lines.

OH! Or Huntkey! (Or whoever made that horrible Dynex that blew up the testing equipment a few years back.

Yes... but that also brings up a good point.

Huntkey has one of the most advanced PSUs factories I've seen in China. And most of the work is done in house. PCB, SMT, making the cables, housings, etc. They even have all of the EMI and noise testing facilities in house. AND A PING PONG TABLE! They could make the finest PSUs in the world, but if someone like Best Buy comes along and says "make it cheap", guess what happens?

Corsair's QC has been going downhill lately. Honestly it makes me nervous to buy a product from them. All their early stuff was fantastic but everything they've been putting out sucks. They still have a great RMA system but having to return the same product multiple times gets tiresome. I remember buying 3 voyager USB 3.0 drives, all 3 failed, RMA'd, all 3 failed AGAIN in subsequent months. Their SSD's have been poor and now their PSU's are falling into the same pattern. Why Corsair why!?

No more TX series? And replacing it with THIS thing!?

I can buy garbage from anyone, at any price I deem acceptable. When I buy a Corsair product, I buy it with the knowing that it isn't garbage, whether I pay top dollar or at a steal of a deal. If I can't buy a Corsair product with that kind of confidence anymore, then I won't be buying Corsair products anymore either. I only buy cheap crap at cheap crap prices, and I never ever buy cheap crap for my computer anymore, so I guess that narrows down how often I will be buying Corsair products if this is a sign of what's to come in the future.

Good news to report on this issue.

I believe my PSU was doing what was described in the review and shutting down under moderate load, but Corsair has taken great care of the issue and updated the RM750\850 to fix it.

They've quickly shipped me out an updated unit at no cost to myself, and I couldn't be happier. (I haven't tried it yet of course)

Not sure how they fixed it exactly since I'm no expert, but this is what was posted in the Corsair forums.

"In an effort to improve our products for all of our users, we have updated the RM750 and RM850 to resolve this issue. The thermistor circuit that is used to measure the temperature for the fan controller and OTP has been changed in all RM750 and RM850 PSU&#8217;s moving forward. An additional resistor has been added that will result in the fan turning on prior to the condition that causes the PSU to shut down in the event that temperatures exceed 45°C."

End Quote.

Thanks Corsair...Very impressed.

Now that this little bug has been addressed I see no other reason to dislike the power supply. The build quality is there, and the few ltec caps in it....they might be just fine these days. It's been a long time since the big capacitor problems we saw years ago. Everything else looks to be built quite well.

Good news to report on this issue.

I believe my PSU was doing what was described in the review and shutting down under moderate load, but Corsair has taken great care of the issue and updated the RM750\850 to fix it.

They've quickly shipped me out an updated unit at no cost to myself, and I couldn't be happier. (I haven't tried it yet of course)

Not sure how they fixed it exactly since I'm no expert, but this is what was posted in the Corsair forums.

"In an effort to improve our products for all of our users, we have updated the RM750 and RM850 to resolve this issue. The thermistor circuit that is used to measure the temperature for the fan controller and OTP has been changed in all RM750 and RM850 PSU’s moving forward. An additional resistor has been added that will result in the fan turning on prior to the condition that causes the PSU to shut down in the event that temperatures exceed 45°C."

End Quote.

Thanks Corsair...Very impressed.

Now that this little bug has been addressed I see no other reason to dislike the power supply. The build quality is there, and the few ltec caps in it....they might be just fine these days. It's been a long time since the big capacitor problems we saw years ago. Everything else looks to be built quite well.

Actually, there is no new news to report as you would have seen if you had read the article before posting.

Wow, these are really surprising results! Thanks to the author for this exhaustive review. This is probably the first time I've seen a PSU failing the load test here @[H], although there must be precedences.

I was wondering if the lower wattage (450W/550W) versions too would exhibit the same issues! I really liked the looks and size of the RM 450W for the purpose of my next Haswell HTPC build, but 35*C ambient temp is not "highly unusual" in the parts I live, specially in the summer!

Please see this update to the review.....Full note posted in the OP and the article as well.

The RM Series PSUs, like all Corsair PSUs, are designed and tested using methodologies that closely simulate the environment of an enthusiast/gaming PC under heavy, sustained workloads. Our testing has proven that the cooling system of the RM Series will engage and provide the necessary cooling during heavy real world use.

That said, we&#8217;re enthusiasts, too. We understand why Kyle and Paul came to the conclusions they did, and based on their feedback, we&#8217;ve implemented a design change that will allow our RM Series PSUs to go the extra mile and endure the extreme synthetic test conditions of the HardOCP test lab.

We have changed the value of the resistor between the thermistor and the fan controller so the fan turns on much sooner than the temperature that would trigger OTP. Therefore the fan should always turn on before OTP is triggered; preventing the PSU from shutting down before it is necessary.

This change has been implemented in all RM PSUs produced since mid October. While we honestly believe even extreme users will never run into the issue encountered during HardOCP&#8217;s synthetic test, those end users that want to know if their RM can endure HardOCP&#8217;s torture test can identify the updated PSUs by a lot code of 1341 or higher.

Thanks for the honest (as always) review guys! thank goodness for quality review sites keeping these company's feet to the fire. Although, these companies shouldn't try to pull this kind of stuff and wait until 3rd party reviews before they clean it up. I'm glad though that Corsair is listening!

Go take a look at the problems with their h100i hydro cooler and the pump grinding noise. The forum is littered with complaints and has been since it came out. Their standard response is 'get an rma and send it in'.

flash drive
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=120540

I had to RMA my h100i because it skipped the grinding phase entirely and went straight to the "pump locked up at bootup after 5 months of use" phase. The 5 year warranty on the unit is pretty generous, though. In the end, they sent me a brand-new h100i. While I was waiting, I upgraded to an h110, which is better, much quieter, and isn't having the same problems pump problems (as far as I can tell from forum searches).

Be it as it may. I think its Great [H] reviews are really looked at. Sure not a big change, but maybe enough is it will pass.

That is cool!

Thanks for the honest (as always) review guys! thank goodness for quality review sites keeping these company's feet to the fire. Although, these companies shouldn't try to pull this kind of stuff and wait until 3rd party reviews before they clean it up. I'm glad though that Corsair is listening!

To be fair, we weren't trying to pull the wool over anybody's eyes here. We honestly didn't see that failure in any situation except for the one Paul did in the incubator. And even after he described it to us it took some time to recreate it.

Whether or not you think the RM series is a good deal or not, it was created as a direct response to user requests. We may occasionally appear incompetent due to embarrassing mistakes like this, but we're not evil.

Whether or not you think the RM series is a good deal or not, it was created as a direct response to user requests.

When users said they wanted the TX but quieter users didn't request the TX series quieter, lower quality, and worse performing which this unit is by just about every objective measure. ;)

What they wanted was the same performance (or really better really since its been years), the same quality, and quieter. You may say that the HX series already has all that, which is sort of true. You may also say, but the HX, occupies a higher end or higher price point to do all of that. Which is also correct, but that is the point. You can't get everything you want at a ridiculously low price point without cutting corners. Quite simply, quality and features cost money. That means this product should never have left the drawing board as it is was trying to undercut the HX series more so than replace the TX series that you killed.

I'd say you're dead on for the informed enthusiast Paul. Seeing the number of reviews on the egg and Amazon already, I'm inclined to believe that many bought this simply because it's labeled quiet and fully modular, and it has the Corsair name. They either have a lot of faith or don't wait for reviews.

Maybe people are jumping on them over the HX because they're fully modular, or because they're just trying to save a buck on the most important component of their rig. I thought we moved on from the latter in the enthusiast segment at this point though.

I don't skimp on power supplies, and I keep them for a very long time. Based on the units I normally see in people's signatures around here, the typical [H]er doesn't either. The RM series isn't targeting us, and replacing the TX series with it removes an option from Corsair's line-up while keeping it the same size. I think a fully-modular revision to the HX would have been nice for the enthusiast market. Maybe Corsair was worried about cannibalizing AX sales with that, but that doesn't make sense as you could say the same about the TX-M and the HX.

On the noise front, Corsair's biggest noise problem isn't the TX series but the AX860i/AX760i. That is a good, reliable fan but it does not belong in a premium power supply. The Yate Loon fan is fine in the TX and HX.

Compare Corsair's current lineup to Seasonic's lineup where you could tell someone to go buy anything from it. Remember when you could do that with Corsair's line-up? That CX400W got an [H] silver with a quote of, "At the current price of $59.99 this unit is certainly a bit more pricey than some of the other options reviewed today, but it certainly doesn't suck like some of those units."

Seeing as I'm staring at a older foxconn mobo with blown Ltec caps, I'd say your cutting corners Redbeard.

I don't care if it's got a 5 year warranty. If I have to RMA it even once, I've lost money in labor. I can assure you that these will not be on the shelf in my shop.

Yes... but that also brings up a good point.

Huntkey has one of the most advanced PSUs factories I've seen in China. And most of the work is done in house. PCB, SMT, making the cables, housings, etc. They even have all of the EMI and noise testing facilities in house. AND A PING PONG TABLE! They could make the finest PSUs in the world, but if someone like Best Buy comes along and says "make it cheap", guess what happens?

Yeah, I remember an NZXT unit a while ago which was built by Seasonic, but didn't really perform well. But we all know that Seasonic does PSUs extremely well, but if NZXT asked them to cut corners then that's what they did, and ultimately it's NZXT's reputation on the line because it's their name on the box, not Seasonic's.

Sorry for the thread necro. Did [H] ever retest the fixed PSU model? I just picked up an RM750 at Frys. Lot 1407. So far so good.

Sorry for the thread necro. Did [H] ever retest the fixed PSU model? I just picked up an RM750 at Frys. Lot 1407. So far so good.

No, but all they did was adjust the fan controller. Overall it is still a poor performing and overpriced unit relative to other options that Corsair used to offer and other brands still do.

No, but all they did was adjust the fan controller. Overall it is still a poor performing and overpriced unit relative to other options that Corsair used to offer and other brands still do.

Thx for the reply! My understanding was the unit failed the testing due to that issue. I'll go back and read it again.

Back