Corsair PSU quit (i think) - power question - help please!

Apathy

Gawd
Last night i was just screwin around on the pc as usual, suddenly it shut off and would not turn back on. the motherboard still has power to it. i can see it posting its codes. tried unplugging everything except power from the back.

the psu smelled really hot and sorta burny. let it sit overnight, no change.

the motherboard reads 0.1 (which reads "expand the Xgroup codes locating in physical address 1000:0") when the power is plugged in. when i press the button to try to turn it on, the code cycles to 2 (which is not listed in the manual). it then switches to 8.2 which reads "1. call chipset power management hook" --- "recover the text font used by EPA logo (not for full screen logo)" and then "3. if password is set, ask for password".

after that, nothing happens.

im assuming this is the psu gone bad? luckily corsair has a 5 year warranty if this is the problem.

i have a 470watt enermax PSU in my old pc that i am thinking of moving over to replace the 620watt corsair.

anybody know if that psu will be able to handle the load of my new pc?

see specs in sig. the new pc is on the left side.

thanks for any help in advance.

have u tried resetting the bios?
also, try using the other PSU, with everything unplugged, just your mobo, fan, and memory
see if it boots properly

havent tried bios reset. will try the other suggestion shortly though. was hoping i could just do a quick swap temporarily before i did much testing to narrow it down.

thanks for the quick reply.

you haven't cleared the cmos?? pfft!! first thing that pops into my mind!
it helps sometimes, after "screwing" around with the hardware

i have a 470watt enermax PSU in my old pc that i am thinking of moving over to replace the 620watt corsair.

As long as you don't play ANY 3D game and set the Q6600 back down to 2.4Ghz, that Enermax 470W might be able to power that rig until you get a replacement from Corsair. Not 100% sure for the following reasons:
1) That Enermax PSU is 5 years old so it definitely offers less than 470W by now.
2) Cannot find out what the total amperage/wattage on the +12V rail for that Enermax 470W PSU. But judging the total amperage/wattage of the +3.3V and +5V rails, it may only have 190W available on the +12V rail, not enough for your current system and gaming.
3) Cannot find out who the actual manufacturer is of that PSU

just tried the ez clear cmos switch, mobo reads "cc" which indicated the position of the switch. still no boot.

hm, so danny you think it'll work eh? hmmm. im going to try it shortly.

hm, so danny you think it'll work eh? hmmm. im going to try it shortly.

I don't think it'll work for long considering that you have an OC'd Q6600 and dual-GPU video card. If it was a dual-core CPU and single GPU card, it might have been enough even with the three issues I listed above. However you don't and the three issues I listed above is enough for me to think that the PSU will not last long, especially with your current setup and gaming.

alright. so from the limited information provided, would your first guess be the psu as the problem here?

alright. so from the limited information provided, would your first guess be the psu as the problem here?

Just try another PSU like that Enermax. If the system boots correctly, then it's a PSU problem. If it doesn't, then it's a mobo prob.

Note: Just use that Enermax PSU long enough for your system to boot into windows and to shut it down. Do not game or run any intensive app.

that psu should be able to handle that system with the overclock but like danny said.. do not play any games.. that 3870x2 will fry that psu.. and make sure you have speedstep enabled if it works with the overclock you have.. otherwise the psu will sit well above 50-60% load for to long..

alright, so i just decided to do the easy thing and stop at bestbuy on my way home to pickup a psu that could handle my rig in its entirety.

they had a small selection, so i just picked up this 850watt thermaltake for $169 open box

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1264&ID=1830

anybody know anything about it? id just assume return it for my money back when my warrantied corsair 620hx gets here.

anybody know anything about it? id just assume return it for my money back when my warrantied corsair 620hx gets here.

Yeah return it as soon as the Corsair 620HX arrives. It's part of the TR2 line so it might not be of good quality.

Back