Corsair Product Marketer Fired with Extreme Prejudice

It makes a good night light if you've got a clear panel? (My mobo, for some reason, doesn't shut off the leds on the RAM when you put it to sleep.)

That's why I have lighting in my case. Instead of having a lamp turned on in my comp room, just have some lights in my case and have it act as the lamp. There's less eye strain, if the only thing lighting your room is the monitors. If you normally have your room lights turned on, then it's not a problem. I blacked out my windows and don't turn on the room light. I don't want it that bright, but I don't want it super dark either.

Just another fad that needs to die, kinda like the 3D TVs and monitors. Just a ploy to get people to pay more for the same crap. Only RGB I have is my keyboard that is lit to a certain color, I wanted a good backlit keyboard but everything was RGB :-\

Too bad it's Corsair, looks great but will probably die within 6 months and then they will give you a massive run around when you try and RMA.
"You need to buy a PSU tester and verify it's broken before sending it in" - Corsair RMA dept

I wouldnt mind if I could set the various LEDs to light according to useage stats or temperature...that would be cool looking and actually somewhat useful.
Funny you say that, because the X62 has those options with the CAM software. It's funny, though, because the default temp monitoring profile doesn't change color until the CPU goes over 50C and that rarely happens with this cooler.

yeah id totally buy that fuck you Corsair some of use dont need RGB EVERYTHING

I was looking at new team and personally I'd pay a premium not to get any dumb ass LED's on it.. or any other component for that matter

The nearest thing to RGB I had was a couple of cold cathode tubes and some Ballistix Tracer's back in 2004-2005.
Oh yeah, back OT.....

ive-been-through-5accf1.jpg

my htpc has more RGB than you can shake a stick at.

looks like some kinda tarted up hussy.

can only see the RGB on the front panel of the RVZ03b case.

Too bad it's Corsair, looks great but will probably die within 6 months and then they will give you a massive run around when you try and RMA.
"You need to buy a PSU tester and verify it's broken before sending it in" - Corsair RMA dept
Wut? Corsair has good rma and never had issues with their stuff. I have a AIO still going after 6 years and another that is 3 years without issue. Recently my ps died but it was almost 9 years old.

I do enjoy some limited RGB, when its on i set it to denote component temperature, usefull for an overclocked pc when you are gaming and dont want to alt tab out to keep track of such things. The other wonderful thing about RGB VS regular LED lit stuff is you can turn it OFF when you want to, those components that are one single color never seem to have an OFF (without shutting down the pc)

I think people need to get over the whole RGB thing. Not that I'm trying to argue with anyone's tastes, but I think people also shouldn't argue with other people's tastes.

There is plenty out there with regards to both RGB and non RGB RAM and motherboards. Having options is a good thing. People just need to chill out stop bitching.

Frankly, that energy is better invested in wondering why more cases don't have an option for vertical GPU mounting.

I do miss those Tracer modules though. I had a set of them in the DDR2 days. I thought they were pretty nifty. "Functional" lighting for effect.

I actually full-on HATE anything with a ton of RGB lights on it. Why in the world would I want a ton of flashing lights in my PC? It's already pointless enough that my case (a Corsair Air 540) has a window on one side. Now they want me to look at a bunch of flashing lights out of the corner of my eye. Awesome. :rolleyes:
Even if I built another black metal door for my case I'm sure I'd still see the 1980's light show out of the fan holes.

Hell, I took it a step further. I have a Fractal Design R5 with NO window in the case. I could care less what the inside of my computer looks like. I like how quiet it is. I do care about that.

I would really prefer high end kits with the option for a 5-10$ rgb bolt on.

For my trident-z I took the top plastic rails off right away. Freaking rainbow plastic.

Also couldn't order gunmetal (or anything else) toppers to match my build.....

BUT IF YOU WANT LASERS AND DISCO BALLS YOUR COVERED!!!

Last edited:
I prefer components with no LEDs at all. Well, some diagnostic LEDs and disk activity LEDs are acceptable, but not much else.

Generational.

It has its uses for adults too though if you get past the kneejerk aversion. Like my GPU LEDs have been set to glow according their temperature, green into yellow, and start to transition into red if theyre too hot (indicating cooling problem or afterburner didn't kick in their fan profile). Now I can't live without it.

I'm an old geezer, apparently, my GPUs all got the LEDs stripped off when I put water blocks on them.

Still don't understand the RGB train. Like I just don't get it at all. I don't even look at my case much, so why would I care about putting a disco in there? >_> That's just distracting and distasteful. For some reason one of my friends did it, at the jokingly self-deprecating comment of a youtuber that said "I think I have a problem." Shrug.

If anything I'd prefer parts with absolutely no lighting. And screw side windows, that's just wasted cooling space. I have occasionally found some lit up setups to be well executed, but they were usually custom loops and didn't entail being a random disco. Having a set theme is kind of important...

Even if you don't care yourself its a way of buying value in the product. You can have whatever color you want. I personally just set any item to a static color I like. Or sometimes I use RGB to match other accessories that do not support it. I think RGB makes products worth more long term as the product can fit. The point is it gives you the ability to have what you want if its done right. Another example is moving RGB lights over to red if they are near a bedroom or sleeping area so they do not wake you up. I think it would be a great day when every LED on every product was RGB and customizable, you could turn it completely off or set it to any color or pattern you like, just like the notification LED on a phone. Now days LED light pollution is in most homes and it could all be made to look good and be consistent with RGB. While RAM is not my favorite example its still better to have RGB then static.

I don't care if you don't have any LEDs on your ram but if you are going to put them on there in 2018 it should be customizable RGB. White LEDs are a crime cause they should have been left without any light and just done a heat spreader. And if they had done customizable RBG then you could set them to white if you like it!

In the past I used to have a major dilemma I wanted my case, and all my products to look good together but then you had to play with features, sometimes a particular product had better features and you were forced to decide between a nice looking setup or the setup with the features you wanted. Lets say I get a motherboard and it has a bunch of blue heat sinks and various lights, then AMD is better and I want a GPU that ends up with a red theme and red lights, and I want a sound card that has green lights. You see how it quickly turns into a mess. With RGB designers can design sets of products that all use neutral colors like black, white, grey, and then they can use the RGB LEDs to bring color into the set. Now if you end up with one off colored item you can match it. And this isn't limited to internal components it applies to monitors, mice, keyboards everything.

Also LEDs are one of the hardest items to change if you are willing to mod you can change cable sleeves, paint colors, use materials that you are used to but if the LEDs are wrong you are going to have to do some serious fine modding or just cover them up. RGB LEDs can be set to whatever works.

Last edited:
Let me start off with saying that I don't understand the RGB craze either, or even pulsating LEDs on stuff. For example, my old Razer Copperhead from 2005 (which still works and I still use daily!) was all blue LED lighting. The silicone side grips and mouse wheel looked nice and weren't overpowering. The light-up logo in the palm portion that breathed... initially I electrical taped over it, but ultimately just unplugged it's light after a year or so. Now while the mouse works fine, the cable is broken in a couple parts internally, but coiled up and zip tied to keep it from moving there solved that lol Regardless I was thinking I'd get a new one and since the they re-released the Diamondback, which shared pretty much the same look at feel as my Copperhead, I figured that'd be a great mouse to get and put it on my christmas list... What a mistake that way :( It's made for twitch gaming with that insane DPI, so I had to dial it wayyyyy back, create a custom profile to prevent even mis-adjusting it higher than I wanted. WORSE YET is that it goes into "Technicolor Rainbow" mode as soon as you plug the god damn thing in! I really didn't want to install their software, but had to just to get it to stop being so fucking annoying. Adding insult to injury, there was no way to program it with my LED profile, so I went back to the copperhead lol Thankfully, for whatever reason, it no longer does that rainbow bullshit and the LEDs flat out don't turn on. I still don't bother to use it on account of the crazy DPI.

That being said... There's a number of comments ragging on not even looking at your computer when using it, so why bother with the LEDs... Personally, I love the look of computer hardware. I find it cool to look at and had displayed a couple of my Quantum3D Obsidian 3Dfx cards on my wall, with their snazzy black PCB. That's also why I run a tech-bench case, and recently bought the Thermaltake P3 case, since it's basically a "standing" tech-bench. This is why I went with the MSI Titanium when building my Ryzen rig, though they did drop the ball on the lighting behind the PCB on the audio circuit since it just shines through the ugly creamed-corn yellow of colorless PCB resin :| I'd have liked to have been able to turn them off but... whatever. But my ASUS STRIX R9 390 also had a breathing "STRIX" bar that ultimately ended up getting the "unplugged" treatment because... that shit is annoying when it's in your field of vision!

In closing... my message to manufacturers is simple this: Want to add RGB to your products to appeal to a certain group of people who actually like that? Alright, I'm fine with that; however, you need to also equip your shit with a physical way to easily turn that crap off without having to install (and leave running in the background) your software.

I do love EL wiring/panels though :D Only because it's such a soft, non-intrusive glow, unlike LEDs that no one wants to use a diffused plastic on and if you look at 'em wrong, end up blinded by the little fuckers! lol
I'd also love to wire up some NIXIE tubes as temp readouts, and Dekatrons as RPM gauges :D And those Dekas come in a few different colors, depending on what kind of gas they were filled with. I have a couple purple ones :) Here's a vid of a clock that shows how the RPMs could be displayed next to some NIXIE tubes showing temps:

Hmm my experience have been the complete opposite of yours. Even had to RMA a PSU, never had them telling me I have to buy a PSU tester, granted this was before they were bought out by another company.

RGB is nice on SOME things (like keyboard backlighting, where you can choose whatever color you want for each key, or like the Corsair logo on the H100i waterblock/pump unit), but the RGB stuff flooding the market over the past few years has really gone overboard. I like these DIMMs here, wish they had been available when I built a white-with-black themed PC for a friend a couple years ago. I myself am a UV guy. I've used UV blacklights in all my PCs since the mid 2000s. I really miss motherboards that had UV-reactive slots and brackets and such, like the boards DFI used to make. Sometimes I like UV dye in watercooling loops. I used to always use UV-reactive cables inside my PCs. Now I've toned things down, I no longer use UV-reactive cables, and they don't make motherboards with UV-reactive shit on them anymore (and I'm too lazy to paint components with UV-reactive paint myself). All I have now is 4 blacklights hidden in my Corsair 760T case, whose light can be subtly seen glowing in some areas through the tinted window on the case. Still pretty damn dark in there, even with four blue-LED fans. My monitors give off more light than the PC case does. I wonder how well DIMMs with UV-reactive heatspreaders would work out. That might be too much. I think it was last year when I got a G502 Proteus Spectrum as a free warranty replacement for a broken G500s, and while I don't mind the RGB lighting on it, does a mouse really need freakin' RGB on it? No, it does not. A lot of things in today's market have RGB lighting where it just plan isn't necessary. Like I said, nice on SOME things, but we don't need it on every damn thing. A little moderation goes a long way.

I prefer blue glow.

F1AfajM.jpg

Speaking of ram... I set the ram to XMP 2666 1.20v, the MSI board was like "You call this an overclock? Press F1 you asshole!" So I set it to 3000 1.30v and it's been working fine since...

This RGB shit has got way out of control. The perfect rig is the one you cannot see or hear.

Last edited:
Idk people maybe would rather to put the $10-20 price increase per item for the RGB bs toward something that actually adds something of value to their PC?

Like magnesium instead of plastic, or solid color non painted plastic, or less dead pixels.

8gb 95 euro, motherboard 100 and some pentium gold, complete cost more than 300 and in reality whit all other parts and electricity spent desktop can cost you 1000-5000- euro. it makes people poor.

I bet it was like, I'm going to fire your ass Tom if you buy this last set of Dominator Platinum ram kit.
Eat me Jerry - buys it in spite.

Fck you Tom, you are fired!

Back