Corsair Obsidian Series 800D

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are on the hunt for a new case, head on over to LanOC today and see what they thought of Corsair's Obsidian Series 800D.

It wasn’t that long ago that I took an in depth look at Corsair's Special Edition white version of their 600T. I was extremely impressed with the entire case. Because of that I thought we would backtrack a little bit and take a look at what started it all, Corsair's 800D from the Obsidian Series of cases. Being their flagship model it’s clear that it still has a lot to offer, lets dig in (finally) and see what all of the fuss is about.

I took a ACTS 840 out of service (terrible case IMHO) and replaced it with one of these. This is the best case I've used in 30 years.

I'm in the middle of modifying one of these beasts.
It's a pretty nice case.

The only thing I would change about it would be the material.
This would be a dream if it was all aluminum.

As it stands, the steel does put up a fight when modding it.:eek:

LanOC, welcome to last decade! The 800D was announced in July 2009.. Amazon started selling it on July 27, 2009.. and LanOC is just getting around to reviewing it? Probably why I never visit LanOC!

And they give it 8/10 rating but that is good enough for an Editor's Choice award? Again.. probably another reason why I never visit that site!

Glad to see Corsair updating the 800D.. it originally didn't have USB 3.0 ports in the front..
FlapOpen-big.jpg
but now it does..
Image_19.JPG

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm in the middle of modifying one of these beasts.
It's a pretty nice case.

The only thing I would change about it would be the material.
This would be a dream if it was all aluminum.

As it stands, the steel does put up a fight when modding it.:eek:

If it were all aluminum it'd be about $450.

LOL, it is fine the way it is.

My 700 has been awesome. Best case I have ever owned, even better than my Antec that I an for 6 years from the late 90's.

and lighter.
You could always build a special edition.......:eek:
Id still buy one.:D

I'll show you my build log when Im finished......ETA is to finish when the Rampage Formula S2011 variety is available.....hopefully after Christmas.:cool:

LanOC, welcome to last decade! The 800D was announced in July 2009.. Amazon started selling it on July 27, 2009.. and LanOC is just getting around to reviewing it? Probably why I never visit LanOC!

And they give it 8/10 rating but that is good enough for an Editor's Choice award? Again.. probably another reason why I never visit that site!

Wes from LanOC here. We didn't work with Corsair at the time of its launch, but we did want to make sure we got our hands on one to compare to cases from other manufactures in the future.

Also, about the 8/10. We loved the case but it was hard to ignore the problems with the stock cooling when using an air cooling. Does that make it a bad case? Not at all. But We couldn't give it a perfect score considering that glaring problem. The editors choice award just says that our editor (me) would pick the product over the competition (and I would, just while I was out I would also pick up water cooling to go along with it)

Thanks for the feedback, I welcome the all of it good or bad.

Dont get me wrong here.
The design is great. I have added some stuff and taken some stuff out.
That said...steel is alot harder on the drill bit and dremmel.

They've posted the same thing for close to 2 years now, if it were aluminum it be more expensive...who cares. Silverstone is selling the TJ11 for over $550, if you undercut it with a $450 case, people will still buy it.

The case just needs a side fan. My Palit GTX580 blows most of the heat into my case and it gets very toasty in my 800D even with 3 exhaust fans in the roof.

As part of my mod I have installed 2x120mm fans in the plexi.

I am anxious to see what they do.

I agree with ND this is Corsairs premiere case. People would spend extra to get all aluminum.....look at Lian-Li.

They've posted the same thing for close to 2 years now, if it were aluminum it be more expensive...who cares. Silverstone is selling the TJ11 for over $550, if you undercut it with a $450 case, people will still buy it.

Not enough to justify the tooling.

Tooling on the 800D cost in the hundreds of thousands of dollars - to tool that all up in Aluminum would cost another few hundred thousand dollars, and for a fraction of the current sales. $200+ cases aren't exactly huge sellers, and while the 800D has been a huge success, it's taken a couple years of sales to justify the tooling costs and whatnot. Compared to a cheaper case, which can pay off those tooling costs in a few months or less due to the higher run rates.

If we ever decide to make an aluminum case, there'd be a reason for it. Right now, the only thing making an 800D out of aluminum would achieve are:

* increase cost
* reduce sales
* reduce weight
* make it "cooler" looking

Right now, those things just don't balance out.

If we went 100% aluminum on something, there'd be a good reason for doing it.

Right, update it and make a 900D flagship case, either make a real flagship or stick to the cheap market and compete with Antec and Coolermaster instead of Lian-Li and Silverstone. But right now, you don't have a case on the level of the higher-end Lian-Li's or Silverstones.

The 800D is long in tooth at this point and you have to be thinking about updating it or creating a successor. The Anandtech review of the 400R blatantly points out the fact that many of the features of the 800D have been outmoded by it's lower priced siblings. If that update is coming, we just would like to remind you, there are those of us out here that will buy a higherend case from you even if it does cost 50% more then the 800D. :)

Last edited:
* increase cost
* reduce sales
* reduce weight
* make it "cooler" looking

Reduce weight, cheaper to ship, cheaper to package.:D

Reduce sales? who knows....maybe not.....just sell more memory, or start selling and supporting graphics cards!!!! I'll take three.....;)

Cooler........yup.:cool:

Way easier to modify!!!!!!:D

Reduce weight, cheaper to ship, cheaper to package.:D

Reduce sales? who knows....maybe not.....just sell more memory, or start selling and supporting graphics cards!!!! I'll take three.....;)

Cooler........yup.:cool:

Way easier to modify!!!!!!:D

Our shipping costs are almost exclusively on size, not weight. Even with a "heavy" case like the 800D, you're shipping mostly a bunch of air around.

As for an aluminum 800D, let's just say if we did do one, it would be at least a year away if we started on it today. It takes a long time to get the tooling and whatnot right, and I know I'd go out of my way with engineering to add features that we missed in the first one like even better cable routing, superior cooling designs, etc.

I'd go a little crazy and delay the thing a few months at least to get the features just right.

Our shipping costs are almost exclusively on size, not weight. Even with a "heavy" case like the 800D, you're shipping mostly a bunch of air around.

As for an aluminum 800D, let's just say if we did do one, it would be at least a year away if we started on it today. It takes a long time to get the tooling and whatnot right, and I know I'd go out of my way with engineering to add features that we missed in the first one like even better cable routing, superior cooling designs, etc.

I'd go a little crazy and delay the thing a few months at least to get the features just right.

OK......I'll buy the first one off the line, if you autograph it......:D:D

I don't care if it's lime green with an orange interior.:eek:

As for the "air" part....tell that to the UPS guy......He's still complaining when he comes to my house.

Red, please tell the Corsair team to create a 1000D flagship model (E-ATX size) and have it pay homage to Soldam's MT-PRO 3000 II Deep Purple.

1000D for 1000 dollars. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

<<If we went 100% aluminum on something, there'd be a good reason for doing it.>>

I blame it on deflation poor dollar sinks and metals shoot up in price.
Blame it on BERNANKE :D

i love the 800d personally althought its to big :/ i got me 650d thinking about moding it

just a quick question as well is lian li the only company to make all aluminum case's?

Nope, other guys occasionally make 100% aluminum cases. Lian-Li is basically a machine shop, which is why they have so many variants of the same SKU and so many parts that are the same across all their cases.

Back