Corsair Obsidian Series 800D

Do you have your H50 exhausting from the case or is it set-up to intake?

Also, what is the benefit of having one of the top fans on intake? Does it produce better temps than all 3 in exhaust?

H50 is an intake.

I set the rear top fan as an intake so it would blow cool air down across the mosfets around the CPU socket. They are now 5C-10C cooler than they were before. Not a huge difference but it gives me peace of mind.

H50 is an intake.

I set the rear top fan as an intake so it would blow cool air down across the mosfets around the CPU socket. They are now 5C-10C cooler than they were before. Not a huge difference but it gives me peace of mind.

that is how i have mine the rear 140 is now an intake and i have the H50 push/pull venting out the top temps are great

In our initial testing it made very little difference.

Thanks for the reply. pretty cool having a direct line to Corsair like this. :cool:

EDIT: I have an extra fan that I was planing on mount on the bottom above the dust filter (skipping that now). Anyway figure I may as well toss it on my H50 for push/pull. Anyone know where I can get suitable screws for mounting the extra fan? It's a scythe ultra kaze 3000

I am really interested in this case, but was wondering if there was another full ATX in the pipe, and whether I should wait for it.

Thanks for the reply. pretty cool having a direct line to Corsair like this. :cool:

EDIT: I have an extra fan that I was planing on mount on the bottom above the dust filter (skipping that now). Anyway figure I may as well toss it on my H50 for push/pull. Anyone know where I can get suitable screws for mounting the extra fan? It's a scythe ultra kaze 3000

Home Depot likely has some.

in the mean time just use 2 on each fan across from the other \ on one side and / on the other

IMG_2121.jpg

my temperature for my whole setup is better than when I had it in antec 900. I have my 3 ultrakaze (2000rpm) on the top blowing into the case. Often i only have one fan blowing into the case from the top while the back fan and the bottom fan are both turned off. (I'm only cooling an OCed q9550 so using 1 ultrakaze 2000 at 50% fan speed is often enough on the 360 radiator

Hey guys, I'm attempting to finish transplanting my system into my new 800D. Things look great so far with two pretty major problems.

1. I'm glad that Corsair included the extender for the 8pin/4pin PSU connector, but mine seems to be defective. I cannot connect the lead from my PSU into it, and if I look real close,. it looks like some of the pins inside of the female end are bent or broken. I've BARELY managed to get my cable around from inside, but it is routed over the lip of the area separating the main bay , so I can't put the side on. Not a travesty, but could I call or write corsair support for another PSU extender dongle. I'm using a Corsair HX1000, by the way!

2. Velociraptors do not seem to have connectors that line up properly for the hot swap bay. Is there any way around this? It kind of surprises me considering how many enthusiasts use 10,000 RPMs or SSDs with non-standard placement of the power and data ports. Would there be some kind of adapter or gadget that would be able to place it correctly? I've thought about simply using really short SATA cables, but in that cramped space it doesn't seem like it would work enough to allow to push the drive all the way inside? For the time being, I'll have to mount elsewhere. Looks like the bottom area? Can a single Veloci do okay down there, heatwise?

3. Is the rear fan an intake, or an outlet?

There are some great innovations with this case and overall I love it, but these couple of issues are frustrating.

Hey guys, I'm attempting to finish transplanting my system into my new 800D. Things look great so far with two pretty major problems.

1. I'm glad that Corsair included the extender for the 8pin/4pin PSU connector, but mine seems to be defective. I cannot connect the lead from my PSU into it, and if I look real close,. it looks like some of the pins inside of the female end are bent or broken. I've BARELY managed to get my cable around from inside, but it is routed over the lip of the area separating the main bay , so I can't put the side on. Not a travesty, but could I call or write corsair support for another PSU extender dongle. I'm using a Corsair HX1000, by the way!

2. Velociraptors do not seem to have connectors that line up properly for the hot swap bay. Is there any way around this? It kind of surprises me considering how many enthusiasts use 10,000 RPMs or SSDs with non-standard placement of the power and data ports. Would there be some kind of adapter or gadget that would be able to place it correctly? I've thought about simply using really short SATA cables, but in that cramped space it doesn't seem like it would work enough to allow to push the drive all the way inside? For the time being, I'll have to mount elsewhere. Looks like the bottom area? Can a single Veloci do okay down there, heatwise?

3. Is the rear fan an intake, or an outlet?

There are some great innovations with this case and overall I love it, but these couple of issues are frustrating.

1. If you call tech support, they can get you a replacement cable shipped. The part number is CC800D-8PIN I believe.

2. Western Digital saw that problem right away, which is why they created this BACKPLANE-READY VELOCIRAPTOR that uses a standard mounting design. Perhaps if you contact them they can just send you the mounting bracket?

Heat-wise, you should be okay in the lower bays. The case comes with four long screws and a rubber 120mm fan ring so you can mount another 120mm fan down there on those lower bays, if you are concerned.

3. It's an exhaust by default, but I've got mine as an intake because of the H50 cooler installation.

Got an Intel SSD on the way, and tomorrow I'm ordering the vinyl dye. When those parts come in, I'm finally going to make the switch to the new 800D!!! I'll also be doing a clean install of my brand new Windows 7 Ultimate. I'm so excited to redo my build, even though it has only been a couple of months running in the ATCS 840.

Gosh I waste too much money on this crap....

Thanks a lot, Redbeard. I'll call Corsair and WD support. I slapped an old Antec 3-speed 12mm fan down in the lower bays to ease any worries about cooling. One of these days I'll have to go SSD when the top grade no longer cost a fortune and hold 300-500gb! I'm continually impressed by the quality of the case and ease at assembly, overall.

Has anyone thought about mounting Feser Triebwerk fans in the 3x120 rad area, simply for airflow until I decide how to plan the next phase of cooling? Or will that not provide much benefit for airflow?

Thanks a lot, Redbeard. I'll call Corsair and WD support. I slapped an old Antec 3-speed 12mm fan down in the lower bays to ease any worries about cooling. One of these days I'll have to go SSD when the top grade no longer cost a fortune and hold 300-500gb! I'm continually impressed by the quality of the case and ease at assembly, overall.

Has anyone thought about mounting Feser Triebwerk fans in the 3x120 rad area, simply for airflow until I decide how to plan the next phase of cooling? Or will that not provide much benefit for airflow?

Yes. Putting exhaust fans up there helps a LOT. Do it. It will get you by for now until you watercool everything.

Does corsair sell replacement side panels? I managed to put a pretty good scratch in the none windowed side when tipping it over to work on it. :mad: this emote fails to adequately express the sadness and anger I feel having basically just keyed my brand new sports car.

Does corsair sell replacement side panels? I managed to put a pretty good scratch in the none windowed side when tipping it over to work on it. :mad: this emote fails to adequately express the sadness and anger I feel having basically just keyed my brand new sports car.

The cat I got my gf for Xmas decided he wanted to climb up my case last night. Put his front claws into the top fan holes and pulled himself up, scratching the crap out of the windowless side with his back claws. :mad:

Believe they are interchangeable. Just try to put your window side on the other, if it fits it works.

The cat I got my gf for Xmas decided he wanted to climb up my case last night. Put his front claws into the top fan holes and pulled himself up, scratching the crap out of the windowless side with his back claws. :mad:

Cats are assholes.

Put the cat inside the case for a few minutes - especially if you have a lot of fans. It may be a mess afterward, but that cat will never get near your machine again. I promise.

Put the cat inside the case for a few minutes - especially if you have a lot of fans. It may be a mess afterward, but that cat will never get near your machine again. I promise.

Haha, good idea but I don't want to mess up my water-cooling. He is pretty wild, probably snap the pci-e interface off my 5870. Maybe I'll try that with my old P4 system that's sitting in the closet.
Was planning on adding an external 3x120 rad when I get my i7 system together, but now I think it'll have to go inside and go down to a 2x120 possibly.

Has anyone tried mounting an EVGA Classified 762 (That's the 4-way) into an 800d? I've heard conflicting stories about whether or not it will fit. Some say it doesn't, others say they've taken measurements and that "it should". There are caveats as well that I've heard, such as needing to move fans around because of the huge fan on the board itself for the north bridge cooler. I plan on water cooling everything so that shouldn't be an issue for me, I just need to know if it will go in there at all.

I wonder if you can buy the grommets separate? does anyone have the sizes like the width and length of them by chance?

This case is extremely expensive and it's probably just me but I'd rather get a lian li for 300 bucks since they are much more elegant and built for enthusiasts(more or so)

This case is extremely expensive and it's probably just me but I'd rather get a lian li for 300 bucks since they are much more elegant and built for enthusiasts(more or so)

they are junk compared to the 800D once you see one in person

they are junk compared to the 800D once you see one in person

Wow, you extremists.... I own both Lian Li cases and this Corsair 800D. To say that one or the other is "junk" is downright wrong as far as I'm concerned. Lian Li has always had exceptional fit and finish, nicely rounded edges that don't cut you, and very elegant construction. I know of very few ugly Lian Li cases. Some are more functional than others, but overall, I've never owned a Lian Li I wasn't impressed with. And they always impress others from the outside. Most are sturdy and lightweight aluminum, however, which for some is a benefit, others a drawback.

The 800D blends good looks, lots of room, and functionality unmatched by any other case out there - period. Steel will make it too heavy for the preferences of some. Quite a few have even complained that it includes a window rather than solid sides as the stock setup.

Personally, if I'm going to watercool, which is the reason I purchased the 800D, heavier is better. It still has a nice machined aluminum front for a reasonably elegant, but simple look, but I am watercooling for two reasons: low temps and quiet operation. The added weight of the steel construction is a natural vibration dampener. I've never had anything against steel cases. My Lian Li is, however, noticeably lighter, and there was a wider rainge of accessory parts I could purchase for the Lian Li vs. the Corsair. If Corsair continues to expand the case line, that could change in the future.

The point is, you gotta choose what suites you best, but neither brand typically makes anything flimsy, and the 800D may not be as elegant as a Lian Li, but it's pretty close: simple, square edges.

Perhaps you prefer the Lian Li's with the rounded edges? A lot of people do.

No such thing as a perfect case.. not even close.. well for me anyway

Both companies do some things right and both do things wrong.

No such thing as a perfect case.. not even close.. well for me anyway

Both companies do some things right and both do things wrong.

True. I probably could have just said that and saved a lot of time typing. What a windbag ... :rolleyes:

The added weight of the steel construction is a natural vibration dampener. I've never had anything against steel cases.

Haha, I didn't think of this. Maybe it should be a marketing blurb on the box.

*Hot-swap hard drive bays
*Pre-drilled radiator mounting location
*Extraordinarily heavy for vibration dampening purposes

Haha, I didn't think of this. Maybe it should be a marketing blurb on the box.

*Hot-swap hard drive bays
*Pre-drilled radiator mounting location
*Extraordinarily heavy for vibration dampening purposes

Not to mention added security! A thief tried to make off with mine but he pulled his back out. Sure, he's suing me now for his medical bills but at least I still have my computer.

I'm very seriously contemplating pulling the trigger on buying this case. I have wanted one ever since they came out, but I have never been able to convince myself that I actually NEED one. Anyone care to convince me that I need one? I currently have a P180 that my damn PCP 750W refuses to fit in without pulling out my dremel, so that's one reason but I need more than that since it fit in my HAF932 and those are half the price. Where is the cheapest place for me to purchase one? I see newegg has them for like $260+24/sh or somewhere in that neighborhood, anywhere running a deal?

I'm very seriously contemplating pulling the trigger on buying this case. I have wanted one ever since they came out, but I have never been able to convince myself that I actually NEED one. Anyone care to convince me that I need one? I currently have a P180 that my damn PCP 750W refuses to fit in without pulling out my dremel, so that's one reason but I need more than that since it fit in my HAF932 and those are half the price. Where is the cheapest place for me to purchase one? I see newegg has them for like $260+24/sh or somewhere in that neighborhood, anywhere running a deal?

I think if you are comparing it to a HAF932 and the HAF932 currently suits your needs then you should not be in hurry to upgrade. Unless you are desperate for a case that is bigger, has hot swap bays and is more aesthetically pleasing then go ahead and get the 800D.

I think if you are comparing it to a HAF932 and the HAF932 currently suits your needs then you should not be in hurry to upgrade. Unless you are desperate for a case that is bigger, has hot swap bays and is more aesthetically pleasing then go ahead and get the 800D.

Ya well I would like to do raid on my drives, can I still use the hotswap if I want to raid drives? I am planning on getting 3 more 1TB Caviar greens to match my current one, does raid still work with hotswap? And yes I definitely want a more aesthetically pleasing case which is the reason why I got rid of my HAF, and I don't really like the cable management in the HAF since I have so many cables it doesn't really fit in the cable management area in the back. Does the 800D have more space for cables in the back? I mean aside from the fact that it's larger and has more area, is the area deeper? Can someone with an 800D gimme a rough measurement of the depth for cable management?

Hot-swapping with RAID can be tricky and depends on the your mobo/RAID config, I doubt you'll be able to do it. That has nothing to do with the case though, it's just the nature of RAID.

By cables in the back, do you mean between the mobo and the side panel? If so, there's plenty of room for random cables in there, probably about 3/4".

Hot-swapping with RAID can be tricky and depends on the your mobo/RAID config, I doubt you'll be able to do it. That has nothing to do with the case though, it's just the nature of RAID.

By cables in the back, do you mean between the mobo and the side panel? If so, there's plenty of room for random cables in there, probably about 3/4".

wut no the point of raid depending on the type ie any thing but 0 can be hotswaped
if you lose a drive in 0 your fucked
but a 0+1 or 5 can be hotswaped and the array rebuilt on the fly
the 800D is closer to 1" on the back of the mobo and case

wut no the point of raid depending on the type ie any thing but 0 can be hotswaped
if you lose a drive in 0 your fucked
but a 0+1 or 5 can be hotswaped and the array rebuilt on the fly
the 800D is closer to 1" on the back of the mobo and case

I interpreted his question as hot swapping for additional drives in RAID, but yes you are correct as that makes more sense for what he's asking.

Something that I tell customers at work that comment on the cost of the case is that it's one of the longer-term items in a build. A processor might last you three years, a videocard 2-4. A good chassis can last a decade. That's one of the main reasons that I went with the 800D vs the HAF-932. Not that the HAF isn't a good chassis. It is. But the 800D is just better, IMHO, in terms of build quality, cable management, and aesthetics.

Back