Corsair Obsidian Series 800D

I can't really say anything either way, but I bought one, and so have a bunch of guys at work.

I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Redbeard,

It sounds like you and the other guys are work are "eating your own dogfood." Nice to see that. I have to ask this: How many Corsair employees are air-cooling, and how many water-cooling (beyond just an H50)?

Redbeard,

It sounds like you and the other guys are work are "eating your own dogfood." Nice to see that. I have to ask this: How many Corsair employees are air-cooling, and how many water-cooling (beyond just an H50)?

I believe out of the six of us that have the case, two have custom water cooling setups, and I know three of us have H50s. The other guy, I have no idea. He could be filling his case up with Candy Corn for all I know.

Sorry for the picture quality, but here's proof that us common folks appreciate the best also!
I guess you could call this a "factory mod", I'm not really into side windows.
My last main box case I had for 13 years, made by a company called addtronics and I plan on keeping this one just as long ! :)

Obsidianfrontangle.jpg

ObsidianEXOSangle.jpg

Obsidianside.jpg

ObsidiansideWC.jpg

Last edited:
With regards to the whole steel vs. aluminum debate, I don't mind that the interior is steel since it's black and still looks cool.

What does bother me however, is how the doors are steel because the flat powdercoat finish clashes with the aluminum anodized front panel.

Once this case has an all-aluminum exterior it will be the case to beat... It would be like if Antec and Lian Li had a case baby.

Some small suggestions for the "801D" :) (besides the all aluminum exterior)
-insulated side panel doors a la Lian Li
-CD-ROM covers, so people won't have to buy Lian-Li ones and mod them.
-engrave the Corsair logo into the front panel instead of the white silk-screen
-provide rubber gaskets on places where things meet to deaden sound (door panel edges and where PSU sits for example)
-the window needs to be a tad smaller and rectangular shaped... the window shape really is ugly, although i understand the reasons for it
-screw-in top vent covers. For me I'd only want one or two top exhaust fans, so some covers would be nice.

P.S. Is it advisable to sit one of these badboys on a thick carpet? Seeing as how the main intake is at the underside of the case...

Last edited:
-insulated side panel doors a la Lian Li

Yes, yes, yes
-provide rubber gaskets on places where things meet to deaden sound (door panel edges and where PSU sits for example)

Yes, and, either sell these on the Corsair online store or recommend third-party products.

P.S. Is it still advisable to sit one of these badboys on a thick carpet? Seeing as how the main intake is at the underside of the case...

sell or recommend casters

Sorry for the picture quality, but here's proof that us common folks appreciate the best also!
I guess you could call this a "factory mod", I'm not really into side windows.
My last main box case I had for 13 years, made by a company called addtronics and I plan on keeping this one just as long ! :)

Obsidianinside.jpg

Nice rig!

The moment Corsair decides to sell casters/rollers like what you put on there, I'm buyin' them! My only two lingering complaints with this otherwise flawless case is the rear-exit dust tray and the lack of rollers. 'Cause when this thing is loaded up, it's heavy.

Some small suggestions for the "801D" (besides the all aluminum exterior)
-CD-ROM covers, so people won't have to buy Lian-Li ones and mod them. YES!
-engrave the Corsair logo into the front panel instead of the white silk-screen. NO WAY - Leave it so it can be removed if desired - not engraved!

Yea, honestly I don't mind the logo that much... The rest of the case is so clean a small logo on the front isn't a big deal... But yea... the I/O port should be re-thought and possibly integrated into it's own 5.25" device, so people can remove it and use more 5.25" bays if they'd like. A similar stealth CD rom design that LianLi has. (One that can be removed/moved around easily and is fairly compatible now that companies have standardized their button layouts).

That along with cable pass-thrus next to the CD-roms, if you look directly at the picture above this post that dugn quoted, you can see the CD-rom cables right there, when they could be moved even further to actually being on the other side of the bays. I know the I/o ports has it's own little pass-thru for cables and I actually used that for my sata power I believe to my drive. I'll have to double check, but if there were more of those I could have used them for fan cables for my fan controller etc. One thing I will say is that I was glad the fan cables were so long, they were hidden behind the motherboard but still able to reach my fan controller without extensions.

Those are just my thoughts on improving the current design... maybe scrap the hot-swap bays, maybe not... I guess that's personal preference too. (You could have two models maybe? one with hot-swap bays... like 8 of them) and one without hot-swap bays but still have the cables hidden and fan's blowing across how they are now... Or have them rotated 90*... either way would work I guess.

Just ideas, I hope this is selling decent for Corsair so they can continue making cases, I want to see some m-ATX and m-ITX designs from them because that's what I focus on building after I got my main workstation done...

the I/O port should be re-thought and possibly integrated into it's own 5.25" device, so people can remove it and use more 5.25" bays if they'd like. A similar stealth CD rom design that LianLi has.

+1 for moveable I/O bay. Man that would add a lot of missing flexibility to this case!

That along with cable pass-thrus next to the CD-roms, if you look directly at the picture above this post that dugn quoted, you can see the CD-rom cables right there...

Yes! In the upper right-hand corner of my picture, you can see where I had to use a 90 degree power+data cable routed through the drive bay slots (with excess dangling below for removability).

I had to shave a bit of plastic off for it to fit. But I was dead set against exposing these cables through the visible portion of the back panel. Slots or tracks to route drive cables would be a very nice touch.

dsc01197p.jpg

The slot right above the ram I don't use, and the only thing I use the one behind the CD-rom for was a SATA cable because I think it was too short... need a longer one if I wanna hide it completely.

I've taken the plunge (again) and reordered an Obsidian case from the same vendor (since they've handled the original RMA without a fuss). I had to return my last one due to severe (I'm not kidding) misalignment issues and a broken tab on the removable CPU backplate panel. This time, though, I took the precaution of getting the ExpressRMA coverage from the store... Let's just hope I don't have to use it. I'll sacrifice a goat to appease the Corsair gods. ;) If this one suffers from the same issues as the first one, I'll either return it, or use it for target practice! :D

Just wondering if any of you guys with the 800D could give me some insight. I am looking to purchase one in the next month or so, and i'm wondering if this case can accomodate the Bulgin style Vandal switches (either 16mm or 22mm) without a ton of extra modding or not

Just wondering if any of you guys with the 800D could give me some insight. I am looking to purchase one in the next month or so, and i'm wondering if this case can accomodate the Bulgin style Vandal switches (either 16mm or 22mm) without a ton of extra modding or not

Sure - check out my Build Log where I used them in a 5 1/4" bay just fine. You can put them anywhere - they're a great match in black (not silver) trim.

dsc01152ri.jpg

dsc01182large.jpg

Thanks for the reply Dugn. That's a really slick case you have there, and I like the array you have of switches. My thought was to use it as the main power switch for the entire case, do you think it would possibly fit in there without too much cutting?

Thanks for the reply Dugn. That's a really slick case you have there, and I like the array you have of switches. My thought was to use it as the main power switch for the entire case, do you think it would possibly fit in there without too much cutting?

Sure. Just pop out one of the Corsair Obsidian plastic front panels and drill holes. I bought one pre-cut with 3 holes (you can do 1, 2, 3 or 4 holes) from FrozenCPU.com.

I used the Lian Li panel to reinforce the plastic drive bay cover to get extra strength (and as a model for my holes.

Since it'll be your power switch, get the temporary switches (not the latching ones that stay in their ON or OFF position).

Not sure what you'll do with the Obsidian power button though. That top bay really is stuck there. It doesn't move and it can't be modified easily.

This case just looks badass to me. My next rig will defiantly be using this case. I was looking at this and the HAF932, very sexy and just love the looks of it. Corsair did a great job with it.

Dies anyone have the swiftech h20 kit in this case? I'm trying to figure out how I should run the loop.

Sadly my order was only partially shipped. They sent the H50, but had to have the case sent over from another location to ship it out.

I also got my Razor Lachesis RMA back, but there is a piece of plastic, or something broken off inside and it's rattling around. I didn't even get it out of the box and I knew I was in trouble. :( (It's back in the box waiting on an email from Razor about what they will do. I refuse to pay more shipping to have this rectified.)

It's been a crappy weekend for me. :mad:

Finally got my new 800D today. Box was in perfect shape, same with its content! :D This time, the alignment is perfect, so it's a keeper! I've installed everything, and I must say it's the best case I've ever owned. :)

I just thought I should add my build to the list. Great case btw. No complaint so far from me.

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2114.jpg

Very nice RadioDude. Think I'll rerun my cpu loop like yours when I add the NB, and do the gpu loop like I have my cpu loop now when I get new hardware.

Mine has yet to be shipped let alone arrive. I'm not even sure why there was a delay. They said they need to transfer a unit from one location to another for shipping, but when I checked the stock page, they had 10 at the shipping warehouse??? (And had for days.)

I'm hoping when I wake up in the morning I'll have a "shipped" email stating it went out tonight. (Not unusual from NCIX.com.)

I got the H50, but haven't even removed it from the box yet.

I'm just so damn excited to get this case, and it seems to be taking forever. (Because I am impatient when it comes to my toys, admittedly. :eek:)

BeavermanA: Thanks for the complement, your rig looks amazing too. It wouldn't be what it is without your helpful comment regarding the reservoir earlier (almost bought the spin reservoir if you hadn't warn me in time).

Little_4nic8er: I was wondering why have you decided to order from NCIX when directcanada has it for $294 and offer free (and great shipping service) when you just make your order over 300 dollars. If you live in the states. I thought newegg.com offers a discount along with free shipping (I'm pretty sure their shipping service is better than NCIX too).

Mine has yet to be shipped let alone arrive. I'm not even sure why there was a delay. They said they need to transfer a unit from one location to another for shipping, but when I checked the stock page, they had 10 at the shipping warehouse??? (And had for days.)

I'm hoping when I wake up in the morning I'll have a "shipped" email stating it went out tonight. (Not unusual from NCIX.com.)

I got the H50, but haven't even removed it from the box yet.

I'm just so damn excited to get this case, and it seems to be taking forever. (Because I am impatient when it comes to my toys, admittedly. :eek:)

Same. I ordered over the weekend (also from NCIX) and it didn't ship today. I'm guessing you got the 800D/H50 combo for $350? Hopefully those in-stock numbers weren't wrong.

BeavermanA: Thanks for the complement, your rig looks amazing too. It wouldn't be what it is without your helpful comment regarding the reservoir earlier (almost bought the spin reservoir if you hadn't warn me in time).

Little_4nic8er: I was wondering why have you decided to order from NCIX when directcanada has it for $294 and offer free (and great shipping service) when you just make your order over 300 dollars. If you live in the states. I thought newegg.com offers a discount along with free shipping (I'm pretty sure their shipping service is better than NCIX too).

I tried looking at Directcanada but all they have is the side panel for the 800D for sale. It's been that way for the past week at least - for me at least.

This case can be hard to snag. I was waiting a month from Amazon @ $280 when every where else it would be $340+ with tax/ship but it never came in stock, then Microcenter had that deal that came out to $258 for me, but got canceled cause OOS, then same thing happened at ZZF. Finally just said screw it and got one off ebay for almost $300.

Hmm, I got mine from newegg with cashback for $260 when it first came out (pre-order)...

You in the US? cause newegg/cashback just started up again for 10% which would make the 800D $260 w/ free shipping on newegg again...

I use NCIX.com because I do not have a credit card. I can pay them like I do a bill through my bank online. Nobody else seems to offer that. It's Paypal or a credit card. Paypal takes to long to deal with, so NCIX.com it is.

Same. I ordered over the weekend (also from NCIX) and it didn't ship today. I'm guessing you got the 800D/H50 combo for $350? Hopefully those in-stock numbers weren't wrong.

I tried looking at Directcanada but all they have is the side panel for the 800D for sale. It's been that way for the past week at least - for me at least.

It was $319 but yup, got that deal. I was going to buy the case for $10 less anyway, so the H20 for $10 more was a no brainer.

All I see is the side panel to.

Nevermind, the case shipped out yesterday afternoon through UPS. I guess it just took a while for the status to update. You quoted US prices, so I'm guessing you ordered from NCIXUS? I assumed they shipped from the same warehouse - maybe not though, since there is obviously stock in Vancouver.

Nope, I ordered from NCIX.com and it was $319 Can. ($397.00 after tax and shipping.)

I sure hope mine was shipped, seeing I ordered it last Wednesday. I wont know for a few more hours. (3:40 AM) If it was, I should receive an email by 9:30 AM. Sometimes they appear the night before, other times it comes the next morning. Even though it says UPS picked it up the day before. *shrug*

I was "lucky" and got mine for 317,00$ CAN (including shipping and taxes). Since I wasn't in a hurry, free shipping was good enough (1 week for the case to get here via UPS ground).

Hmm, I got mine from newegg with cashback for $260 when it first came out (pre-order)...

You in the US? cause newegg/cashback just started up again for 10% which would make the 800D $260 w/ free shipping on newegg again...
Not for us California residents, 10% bing CB barely covers the 9.75% sales tax in LA county, and back then it was only 2-3% cb. Still over $300.

Ah gotcha... yea Amazon charges me tax, but not newegg... (I'm in WA)

So newegg is always a better option for me, Amazon a bad one... we got close to that in WA 9.5 or 10% sales tax now ... =/

I called them and asked what was up, and the guy I talked to was even confused as to why mine was not shipped yet. He admitted there was stock right from the day I ordered it, and there should not have been a delay.

He said it will go out tonight so hopefully I'll have it by tomorrow. I just can't seem to catch a break over the last week. (A got an RMA back that has to be RMA'd. *facepalm*)

haha directcanada.com is being really sneaky in hiding the case from all searches. The fact is you have to type in the link manually (good thing I saved it eh) and they will indeed sell it to you for 294 canadian. Furthermore, they've had it in stock for a while now.

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11180AC9686&vpn=CC800DW&manufacture=CORSAIR

edit: haha nvm, although it's still in stock in my shopping cart, the webpage itself says its not there anymore. guess I have the last one in my shopping cart.

This case can be hard to snag. I was waiting a month from Amazon @ $280 when every where else it would be $340+ with tax/ship but it never came in stock, then Microcenter had that deal that came out to $258 for me, but got canceled cause OOS, then same thing happened at ZZF. Finally just said screw it and got one off ebay for almost $300.

When MC had that sale I put one in my cart and was about to pull the trigger, but I had some other stuff I was ordering from Newegg at the time, and they very surprisingly matched MC's sale. Ended up being $237 shipped, which is exactly what it would've cost from MC, but reading this makes me glad I got it from the egg, because I might have got a cancellation email too, and that would've really sucked ... Sorry man.

Back