Corsair Obsidian 650-D case fan controller issues

Ph.D

Limp Gawd
I have owned this case since June 2011. All the fans are connected to the case fan controller. (Note that this case is the revised CC650DW-1 version of this enclosure.)

Today when I turned on the PC none of the fans worked. Causing my CPU to overheat and the PC to refuse booting to Windows.
I then attached all the fan cables to the motherboard directly and they all work. Sadly this did not exactly do wonders for my cable management and on top of that my CPU cooler (Antec Kühler H2O 920) now makes a horrendous noise.

Does anyone know what went wrong? Troubleshooting tips?

EDIT:
After checking around I have noticed more people are having noise issues with the Kühler H2O 920. Strangely, I did not have any at all until I connected it directly to the motherboard. It still runs the same profile as well.
I have recorded 15 seconds of the noise in case this can help anyone: http://limelinx.com/f5fdi

(Sorry if this is getting off-topic, but the original problem with the case cables remains as well of course.)

Last edited:
Yes, the fan speed controller on the 650D is awful. I had mine fail in ~6 months. Fortunately i did not have any issues with noise after I swapped the fans over to the motherboard, and i noticed it before my pc overheated.

Sounds like you have the 920 hooked up to a fan header with fan control enabled. Look through the bios for options to disable the fan control for the header that you plugged the antec into.

Also you may want to look for a "PWR SPLY" or similar fan header as those are typically always supplied the full 12v.

Also, contact "redbeard" he's the resident corsair rep.

The thing is, the fans are fine now that I hooked them up to the motherboard, I think the cables from the case just failed. The noise coming from the cooler is not the fans, it's coming from the cooling unit itself.

The 650D is notorious for blowing fan controllers. Sounds like yours finally died. Call up or email Corsair tech support, they'll send you out a new one without question.

It's two screws from within the optical drive bays to remove the fan controller, and if you feel like it, another 2 screws to take it apart. I bet you that the big transistor on the fan controller is scorched black.

Your link borked, but all AIO water coolers tend to make some noise or another. It's normal to hear a bubbling sound, if it continues you need to play with orientation in order to reduce bubbles. If you hear the pump very audibly, chances are you just have a noisy unit and you should RMA it for a quieter one. You should be able to hear these pumps if you put your ear up next to it but not from outside the case. The reason why you hear it now and not from before is that the fan controller was reducing the power to the pump. A direct connection will result in your pump running at 100%. If your motherboard supports voltage control, you can set up a custom profile to reduce the noise.

The 650D is notorious for blowing fan controllers. Sounds like yours finally died. Call up or email Corsair tech support, they'll send you out a new one without question.

It's two screws from within the optical drive bays to remove the fan controller, and if you feel like it, another 2 screws to take it apart. I bet you that the big transistor on the fan controller is scorched black.

Your link borked, but all AIO water coolers tend to make some noise or another. It's normal to hear a bubbling sound, if it continues you need to play with orientation in order to reduce bubbles. If you hear the pump very audibly, chances are you just have a noisy unit and you should RMA it for a quieter one. You should be able to hear these pumps if you put your ear up next to it but not from outside the case. The reason why you hear it now and not from before is that the fan controller was reducing the power to the pump. A direct connection will result in your pump running at 100%. If your motherboard supports voltage control, you can set up a custom profile to reduce the noise.
Yeah I have heard about the problems with the fan controller on this case.

As for the link, it got taken down because of inactivity. Here is a new one: http://www.sendspace.com/file/j2w6tr
And I would like to stress I could not hear the pump at all before connecting it directly to the motherboard, but now that I have it is making this noise.

Maybe I made a mistake connecting it to the motherboard? This is what I did:
From the cooler installation guide:
4OsydKl.png

I have connected the "pump power cable" to B (CPU_FAN) on the motherboard.

pW3aVXG.png

Last edited:
I have contacted Corsair and they are sending me a new 650d fan controller kit.

Back