Corsair Obsidian 550d?

Does anyone know how the hell to take out the Front I/O plate? I would like to take it out and paint it black.

Never Mind I figured it out :) I'm trying the great experiment now. I took out the front Silver I/O plate and spray painted it black using krylon fusion paint for plastics. Got it painted now I have to let it dry for a few hours. Will post some pictures once its done...

Here it is mounted back into place. I'm still going to wait for few more hours to completely assembly it back into the case. Black looks much better than silver I think....

9fpkec.jpg

Hey guys, I have a question...

The case is still unavailable in Croatia (meh), but I'm guessing one day it will be. Anyway, I was wondering if there's anyone kind enough to give me the exact height of the case (mm preferred) with and without the feet.

I have a little platform below my desk and I have no idea if the case would even fit, or bump into the desk...

i'm at least interested.
I'm not happy with the noise my H100 generates, on the 'low' profile setting, with 4 x Cougar CFV12-hp or whatever they are called fans.

I'm seriously considering switching back to NFP12 x 4.

I forget, can i fit an H80 in the back, AND front of this case without modification?

bottom HDD cage removal?
both HDD cages removed?

I want a dual H80/antec 620 setup, one for CPU(h80), one for GPU(620 currently)

w/o reading through the entire thread, does anyone know if the rattling side panel issue for this case ever got resolved?

Also wanting this answer i guess. Would be nice to know.

My 800d is just so big, and not quiet enough for the new living situation with H100 @ top with 4 x push pull Cougar CFV-12hp's (Low setting)

I'm seriously considering the downsize to a 550d (closed config) with H80i for CPU cooling (front location) ... with existing Kuhler h20 920 for GPU (rear exhaust)

w/o reading through the entire thread, does anyone know if the rattling side panel issue for this case ever got resolved?

Also wanting this answer i guess. Would be nice to know.

My 800d is just so big, and not quiet enough for the new living situation with H100 @ top with 4 x push pull Cougar CFV-12hp's (Low setting)

I'm seriously considering the downsize to a 550d (closed config) with H80i for CPU cooling (front location) ... with existing Kuhler h20 920 for GPU (rear exhaust)

I haven't been reading any recent complaints on the handful of 550D threads I check every few days. In fact, am owner posted a couple months ago that his 550D came with extra padding on the frame where it contacts the panels to kill any vibration.

I'm still deciding between the 550D & Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 - it's supposed to come to Newegg soon. I do like the aesthetics of the Corsair better, and think with some mild mods it will end up being more to my needs...

Last edited:
Just ordered one of these to replace a SOLO. Is the $119 shipped from Amazon a decent price?
Was going to wait 3mo for the Nanoxia or get a Black Pearl, but screw it, I'm sick of waiting and this looks like a solid case with a ton of good reviews. Anybody have any issues besides the goofy silver front plate?

Yup, this is hands down the best case I've ever had. Definitely going to consider using this case on all my future builds for friends and family.

Well, got her in and had her up and running in 30 minutes. What a beautiful case! Love it!

I was going to go ITX, but decided to just go will a full sized build. I've been eyeing this case for a long time.

I got the AF120's and SP120's mixed up so I have to go get a few exchanged today and also get an AF140 for the exhaust. I didn't know the exhaust could hold a 140mm fan. Awesome!

I'll update once I get the right fans in place and probably switch the rings to blue to match the motherboard.

8259481469_7609f09e4a_c.jpg

...and you tucked an SSD in there!

I'm looking at fan controllers that will fit flush behind the door and saw the Reeven FC-101:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=36265

Interesting...

I thought about getting a fan controller, but the only fan I can actually hear now that everything is put together is the 140mm exhaust fan. And even then, it's a please whooshing sound.

Based on a suggestion, I swapped out all my red SATA cables for black ones with 90 degree connectors that came with my motherboard.

8262701539_ee6d53633e_b.jpg

Looking good, man. Excellent news that the system is so quiet...

Someone will probably suggest getting sleeved PSU cables next, but IMHO when you don't have a side window, as long as your cable management is good (for airflow purposes) - you're all set!

I have a pet peeve - if internal color-coding is so dang important, when is someone gonna release an all black optical drive? Why on earth are they still beige everywhere except the faceplate?

I'll eventually end up with a color-coordinated build, but if it's inside a Corsair 550D it will first be built to work properly, and I will slowly get the bits changed over and sleeved and whatever as funds permit.

Hi all!
Did anyone tried to mount an EVGA Z77 FTW motherboard or a Asus Maximus V Extreme?
Does it fits?

Thanks.

The problem with EATX motherboards being installed in this case is that the motherboard area is recessed. You may be able to fit it in there, but if there are any 90deg ports (for example the SATA ports) along the edge you will run into interference. There have been some people who have Dremeled that area to solve the problem.

Look at the image above and note the curved line next to the lower right corner of the motherboard - now imagine the motherboard extending to the right approximately an inch. See the issue?

My current case sucks. My stuff is too damn loud an it bugs the hell outta me. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 600T, it looks nice and has good features. But the more I look at the 550D, the more my rational side of the brain starts to tug at me. I need a silent case and I'm not sure the 600T can do that. But I also want a nice looking case, and the 550D does not do that.

Suggestions guys?

Here is my two cents..

Case does not matter that much for quiet. Gaming cases CAN BE quiet. It depends mostly on (not surprisingly) the fans being used and the speeds you are running them at. (including the video card which can be the worst offender).

As long as your case has some anti-vibration features and doesn't resonate it will be quiet - even with direct noise paths like in a 600t if you have the right stuff in it. That being said I would pick the 500r or the 550d simply because with the more common fan size you can switch out fans as needed to your balance of quiet and performance is met. Those special fan sizes trap you...

The overall benefit of noise reduction foam/indirect noise paths is much less then simply picking quieter coolers and slow running quality fans. In fact you can make a case (heh) that sometimes those indirect cooling methods (restricted intake) for example cause your fans to spin faster and thus ruin your intended noise benefits.

You can see this if you just check case reviews.. For example the Corsair 500r - a GAMING case runs at 36db (Idle). The major advantage of the 550d is that you can block off some noise paths they you might not need and it has the foam baffling..(which can help a little bit (I'd be surprised if it was even 1db though).

The big dowside though is that the case is not very pretty - both because of the front panel design AND because when you use the more aggressive cooling features you expose some rather ugly looking fan filters..

If you don't mind the looks it should work great. I do though and if I was getting a case I would get something that smarter looking and swap in high quality fans and/or dynamat (to reduce vibrations if that was a problem). Then again I don't demand a "silent" PC. A gentle woosh at idle and some ramping up at load is cool with me.

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning a little bit more to the 600T now. My current case really vibrates a lot though. Do you know of the 600T has anything for that?

Just did a build with this case. It seems good enough but I just discover its Achilles heel: those vlinding white LEDs on the front of the case! What were they thinking? I can't sleep with these things on. All case LEDs should be red, the only color that is tolerable for sleeping. Now I have to put some stupid tape on the case to block them. They should have know better.

Anyone know if these LEDs can be replaced?

Otherwise this is by far the nicest case I've owned.

Thanks

Just did a build with this case. It seems good enough but I just discover its Achilles heel: those vlinding white LEDs on the front of the case! What were they thinking? I can't sleep with these things on. All case LEDs should be red, the only color that is tolerable for sleeping. Now I have to put some stupid tape on the case to block them. They should have know better.

Anyone know if these LEDs can be replaced?

Otherwise this is by far the nicest case I've owned.

Thanks

It might be possible to cut the wires powering the LEDs? Or maybe it's the same wire that supplies power, not sure. My PC is in my office so I don't care about the lights.

I've been enjoying my 550D build for about 15 months old now. I'm really impressed with how little dust/cat hair gets into the case thanks to the filters and positive pressure (I have the stock 2x 120mm front intake, 1x 120mm Gelid bottom intake and stock 1x 120mm exhaust). Been controlling all case fans with Asus Fan Xpert2 (PWM and 3-pin supported), so my case fans shut off when CPU temp is under 40C and then slowly ramp up based on CPU load. This works really well as it's effectively silent during desktop use and only audible during gaming when the case and GPU fans spin up.

Really, really happy with this compared to previous builds.

It might be possible to cut the wires powering the LEDs? Or maybe it's the same wire that supplies power, not sure. My PC is in my office so I don't care about the lights.

Thanks, I can easily disconnect the power and HDD LED wires on my motherboard but prefer something to visibly tell me the system is turned on. For now the power LED wire is disconnected but the HDD light remains but it flashes all the time so I have to cover it up. It is pretty sad when you are using tape on one of the nicest cases you can buy. Otherwise a great case.

Would a Mugen 4 fit in this case? It's 160mm high, so it might be a wee bit too much...

So, can someone give me a noise/cooling comparison between the stock fans in the stock configuration vs the noctua fans in the same positions? (meaning 2 intake/1 exhaust).

I'm curious to see if I even need to spend the money to upgrade the fans in order to get better cooling while keeping noise down.

Does removing the front door greatly affect the noise reduction?
I don't like doors because I like access to my optical drives but I'm worried removing it would defeat the purpose of the silence for the case.

Back