Corsair Obsidian 550d?

No, the 550D has no adapter in the box. Considering you have that door in the way maybe an external USB reader would make more sense?

Has anyone mounted a 200mm fan on the side panel? If so could you please upload pictures of how it looks?

From the dimensions it would seem that part of the fan would be off the edge of the mesh area, and I'm not sure which screw holes would be used.

I've ordered a 550D and would like to know whether I can mount a Coolermaster Megaflow 200mm onto the side panel. I'll be using an H100 and will remove the top HDD bay...

Any help is appreciated :)

See my Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm here. With the dust filter on you can barely see the central hub of the fan when there is no flash on it. I don't see any reason why a H100, 200mm side fan, and all your other hardware would not fit.

2012-03-28_15-12-09_41.jpg
2012-03-28_15-12-48_738.jpg

See my Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm here. With the dust filter on you can barely see the central hub of the fan when there is no flash on it. I don't see any reason why a H100, 200mm side fan, and all your other hardware would not fit.

Perfect, this is just what I wanted! The issue with the Coolermaster Megaflow is that it is 5mm thicker than the Spectre Pro (30mm). Do you think this will be a problem?

Thanks for your time.

I don't think there is much clearance between the 6+2 pin power cables for my GPU and the fan. If I don't bundle the extra +2 back away from the side of the case, and let them sit free, they whack the fan blades as its running. It'll probably fit but be ready to kill the power at the PSU switch if the fan blades hit any power cables.

Thanks, night_2004 -- if I end up taking the risk I'll report back here on how it goes.

There is not.

This must be purchased otherwise.

Edit: Towards the 3.5" bay cover, I was a bit behind on the pages :)

Just got my 550D today from Newegg. It's in the perfect condition (no bent panel or rattlings). One thing I noticed right away is that the included fans are a little weak (will probably replace them with some Noctuas soon).

how did you notice the included fans are a bit weak, if you don't mind my asking?
Are the included fans keeping the system as cool as your previous setup?

... Did you have other fans to hold them side-by-side to or something?

how did you notice the included fans are a bit weak, if you don't mind my asking?

I second that, did you test them or something? Were they able to keep the HDD under 50C and the rest of the case at normal temps?

My old case was a Zalman GT1000 (with 2x 92mm & 1x 120mm fans, all Noctua). Before I transferred my system today, I wrote down the CPU/HD/GPU temperatures, and the new system with 550D is (on avg.) 4 to 5 degrees warmer. Annoyed with that, I changed the exhaust fan with a spare Noctua 120mm and the temperatures are now down to 3~ degrees warmer than my old case. I'm going to see if I can get a couple more Noctua this weekend.

interested to hear the results of the all noctua.

I'm assuming nfp12's where applicable, and a similar 92mm?

I've got the Corsair 850 Pro series PSU. I plan to build my 550D this weekend. Is the 8 pin power cable long enough for the case or do you need an extension?

I've got the Corsair 850 Pro series PSU. I plan to build my 550D this weekend. Is the 8 pin power cable long enough for the case or do you need an extension?

You'll definitely want an extension. The 550D doesn't come with one, and I am pretty sure the extension I have is 8". Depends on your PSU but I've got the Seasonic X750.

So you needed one with the Seasonic 750? I know Seasonic makes corsair psu's so I am assuming the cable length will be the same. I would probably pick up an extension from Frys at lunch then...

So you needed one with the Seasonic 750? I know Seasonic makes corsair psu's so I am assuming the cable length will be the same. I would probably pick up an extension from Frys at lunch then...

Even if I ran the cable diagonally across the motherboard there was no way to make it fit. You could do it by routing it across the front side, under/over the PCIe slots, and over the back I/O plate...but that would look messy.

Guess who just ordered their's, I'll be posting picks tomorrow when I get it.

If i end up getting a ATX board for Ivy, this will be the case. Still on the fence for mATX vs ATX.

As previously mentioned I hate the silver bit on the front, but the inside is so nice.

Anandtech review live: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5708/corsair-obsidian-550d-starting-to-specialize

Edit: Wow, what a pointless review. He chats about what it looks like and his aesthetic predilections and then provides graphs of temps/noise for just this case. Nothing to compare it against and no mention of ambient temperature. He then says that he's disappointed :) What a waste of 10 minutes of reading.

Last edited:
I've enjoyed mine so far. It's definitely quiet, but I don't have another quiet case to compare to (quieter than my Corsair 650d, but that's not saying much).

It seems to run a bit hot though in my estimation.

Yeah that Anandtech review wasn't very helpful for someone looking to purchase the case. A comparison chart would have helped a lot.

I've enjoyed mine so far. It's definitely quiet, but I don't have another quiet case to compare to (quieter than my Corsair 650d, but that's not saying much).

It seems to run a bit hot though in my estimation.

What hardware do you have in the case? Are you only using the stock fans?

What hardware do you have in the case? Are you only using the stock fans?

It's my old rig that now doubles as my HTPC.

i7-930 @ stock
CM Hyper 212+
MSI HD 5770 in Crossfire (Twin Frozr design)

Based on my experience with the Corsair fans in general (on my 650d and H80), I replaced them immediately with some old Cooler Masters that run @ 1200 RPM and are pretty quiet.

AT's case reviewer comes across as somewhat of an idiot (and always has). He has a horrible and hyperbole filled writing style and his testing methodology has always been wonky.

"Unfortunately, when overclocked the 550D has a harder time keeping the noise down; the high pitch of the GTX 560 Ti's fan, in particular, makes itself known."

What does that have to do with the case? Unless one uses water cooling on their video cards, you are going to easily be able to hear a 560Ti/580 fan at max load/60% fan. In a "quiet" case, those cards are going to need at least 50-60% fan to cool at load as well.

The only interesting thing he brought up is the possibility of the vent covers rattling after years of use. I haven't seen the case in person, but I don't see how likely it is. What moving parts in the case would cause enough vibration to the chasis for this to happen? If one is using the stock fans (or other <1500rpm fans) there isn't really any vibration to speak of.

Big fan of Anand and AT, but the guy they have doing their case reviews is not very good.

I'll second that. When it comes to LCD/Case reviews, reviewers at Anandtech has no idea what they are doing.

Redbeard, quick question. With the H100 do you install it on the top with or without those rubber grommets? Are the H100's washers large enough to keep the cooler from just falling down in the case without the rubber grommets?

really wish people would stop with this. Seasonic does not make corsairs PSU's. They make the platform. Corsair is free to change whatever they want on it. The cabling is completely different.

Anandtech review live: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5708/corsair-obsidian-550d-starting-to-specialize

Edit: Wow, what a pointless review. He chats about what it looks like and his aesthetic predilections and then provides graphs of temps/noise for just this case. Nothing to compare it against and no mention of ambient temperature. He then says that he's disappointed :) What a waste of 10 minutes of reading.

Agree, the only reason to check an anandtech case review is the abundance of detailed pictures

Just started to assemble my case. But noob question here. I want to remove the front 2 fans. I can't seem to figure out how to get the fans out :-( Does the front panel come off?

Agree, the only reason to check an anandtech case review is the abundance of detailed pictures

Just read the review, and I can't really believe how little information was given. But somehow it wasn't impressive enough? ...strange.

Just started to assemble my case. But noob question here. I want to remove the front 2 fans. I can't seem to figure out how to get the fans out :-( Does the front panel come off?

Take them off from the inside. You'll have to remove the HDD cages.

Duh :-( Thanks. Man I am getting old......Got the PSU Now waiting on UPS with my motherboard and CPU :-( Normally when I get UPS he comes before noon. But my luck it will be at the end of the day today.....So far everything looks good...

I'm tempted to buy this case, however I'm using a old Corsair HX520 in my Lian-Li V1200 PLUS II right now, and I'm not sure if I need to buy some extenders for the 8 and 24 pin cable? :confused: Also, how silent are the stock fans? Any specifications about them?

Extenders could be an issue, but they're wonderfully cheap and can even be used to spruce up the appearance a little bit.

I've got a 500d and had to get an extender in order to get the 8pin across the back from my Antec 650w PS, if I had left it it would have reached easily across the front of the MB.

The fans are not 'noisy' but you can tell that they're on. I went to some Noctuas and can't even tell they're on now.

Extenders could be an issue, but they're wonderfully cheap and can even be used to spruce up the appearance a little bit.

I've got a 500d and had to get an extender in order to get the 8pin across the back from my Antec 650w PS, if I had left it it would have reached easily across the front of the MB.

The fans are not 'noisy' but you can tell that they're on. I went to some Noctuas and can't even tell they're on now.

What Noctua's are you using? If I buy the case, I might just buy either some Noctua NF-F12's or some Thermalright X-silent 120mm... Also how many fans did you replace? All of them, or just the front?

really wish people would stop with this. Seasonic does not make corsairs PSU's. They make the platform. Corsair is free to change whatever they want on it. The cabling is completely different.

A good analogy is to look at our suppliers as bakeries. Every day a baker makes bread, cakes, donuts, and muffins. But if you call a day or two ahead and make a special order, he'll do it for you. Sure, he might use the same flour, butter, sugar, and water to make it - but the rest will be your call.

We work with Channelwell, Seasonic, and Flextronics to customize off-the-shelf platforms or create new platforms based on our specs. Early on (HX520/HX620) we basically bought off-the-shelf designs with a few tweaks like higher-end capacitors and longer cables. (Put pink frosting on it and 'Happy Birthday Sheila')

Now, we're large enough that we can help them develop their platforms months or years before launch. If we decide we want a $99 Gold Certified 800W PSU in January of 2014, we could work with these guys to develop that platform - because we have in-house engineers that can tweak their designs as we go along. (The muffin should be made of oatmeal and bran, with dutch butter, pure vanilla extract, and be 3.2" diameter by 2.5" high at its peak, with 19 sunmaid raisins in each muffin)

I think it is a consensus that you'll need a CPU power extender if your 4/8 pin is on the top of the motherboard (who's isn't???) but not the 24 pin ATX cable (not unless you want to pretty it up).

That being said, next time I buy a PSU I am getting a Corsair and I am getting the custom sleeving kit from them :D. Not sure when that will be though...maybe the day I've got the money to go with a GTX 680 SLI setup?

Still hoping to hear some comments about installing the H100 and removing(?) the top rubber grommets?

Back