Corsair Obsidian 550d?

Yes, I love companies that actually have active pr employees or just let their employees post.

So for my next build is

Corsair H100
Corsair 550D
Corsair Vengence Ram

Hmm what else do I need that corsair makes.

A high efficiency modular Corsair PSU!

A high efficiency modular Corsair PSU!

i'd love a new modular psu, like the AX1200 but I cant justify getting rid of my 750watt cooler master right now. I'm only going to be running one card.

Already got my HD's/SSd's.

Stuffs ready to go into the new case:

IMG_2102.jpg

Here's how it arrived:

IMG_2104.jpg

A sneak peek of what's inside:

IMG_2105.jpg

Unboxing the case:

IMG_2106.jpg

Here's my build, a Core i7-995X (3.6GHz not overclocked). More work needed on the cabling later. The fans on the top and front panel are normally off and only used when additional ventilation (in summer) is required:

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

Here's the 7 year old case I had before, a major improvement I'll say:

IMG_2103.jpg

Unfortunately, my case came with a bent side panel. The push button on the removable cover for the fans/filter also does not operate either. I called and submitted a RMA earlier today. From the pic below you can how it bent inward near the front of the case.

IMG_2109.jpg

One other note: The case comes with a USB 3.0 -> 2.0 adapter, so you do not need to purchase one separately.

Blue

Anyone have this problem with their side panel. Sorry about the bad quality but I think you get the idea.

http://youtu.be/n-c6ioxtA-4

Not sure if I want to hassle with an RMA or maybe just try to shove some foam in there.

tiny bit of adhesive backed bump stops would solve that... just trim down to required depth.

Let corsair know, log the RMA, but do not send it in. This is just a waste of everyone's resources, shipping a big ol' box...assuming this part of the case isnt user replaceable?
(Let them know you DIY'd it, but that they need to be aware of the issue.)

My own personal opinion, nut 750RPM is almost too slow to be effective in in-taking or exhausting any decent amount of air.

tiny bit of adhesive backed bump stops would solve that... just trim down to required depth.

Let corsair know, log the RMA, but do not send it in. This is just a waste of everyone's resources, shipping a big ol' box...assuming this part of the case isnt user replaceable?
(Let them know you DIY'd it, but that they need to be aware of the issue.)

I'm definitely going to try and take care of this on my own. The idea of shipping the side panel, waiting...., getting a new one and then having the chance of it still rattling seems like a comedy of errors that could happen to me, lol.

I haven't even gotten my system finished, so this may be a non issue all together.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
From what I saw in the video, the door doesnt sit properly in the case. The fact that the whole thing wobbles on the ground is user error, no?

it sits properly on the ground. I just wobbled the whole case to emphasize the rattle. You can see when I simply use my finger the panel is not secure even after closing it securely. The other panel works just fine and does not move at all.

Yes, I love companies that actually have active pr employees or just let their employees post.

So for my next build is

Corsair H100
Corsair 550D
Corsair Vengence Ram

Hmm what else do I need that corsair makes.

Check out the new keyboards and mice. I know I'm biased but I love my M60/K60.

it sits properly on the ground. I just wobbled the whole case to emphasize the rattle. You can see when I simply use my finger the panel is not secure even after closing it securely. The other panel works just fine and does not move at all.

Thanks for the video. I gave it to the director of manufacturing and quality control - he's headed to our factory in China over the next couple of weeks, and will do an audit. Out of the five units I found here, none of them have the same issue. One of our pre-production units does though, so it's possible there was some factory mix-up. Once we better have an idea of how this happens and who it's affecting and how to fix it for you, I'll post back here again.

Right now, some cables being routed back there will probably fix the rattle issue by providing a bit of pressure. In a few weeks when we understand what's happening and how to fix it, I'll get you a new side panel that should take care of the problem.

I can't stress enough how good this info is - with the video posted above we have a very clear issue and we can get it fixed. Likely it's just a matter of making sure the tool is set properly for that side panel, which should guarantee it's cut and bent to the right size.

My guess is that yours might be a fraction of a millimeter off, just small enough to be noisy but not small enough to not work at all. Should be fixable fairly quickly. Thanks again.

Thanks for the video. I gave it to the director of manufacturing and quality control - he's headed to our factory in China over the next couple of weeks, and will do an audit. Out of the five units I found here, none of them have the same issue. One of our pre-production units does though, so it's possible there was some factory mix-up. Once we better have an idea of how this happens and who it's affecting and how to fix it for you, I'll post back here again.

Right now, some cables being routed back there will probably fix the rattle issue by providing a bit of pressure. In a few weeks when we understand what's happening and how to fix it, I'll get you a new side panel that should take care of the problem.

I can't stress enough how good this info is - with the video posted above we have a very clear issue and we can get it fixed. Likely it's just a matter of making sure the tool is set properly for that side panel, which should guarantee it's cut and bent to the right size.

My guess is that yours might be a fraction of a millimeter off, just small enough to be noisy but not small enough to not work at all. Should be fixable fairly quickly. Thanks again.

:D

Always good stuff from Redbeard!

You know, I've never bought Corsair before. It's not that I've avoided the products, it's just that I've found what I was looking for elsewhere. In this new build, I've got a Corsair 550D, and a Corsair CMPSU-1200AX. If the above post by Redbeard is any indication of the kind of customer service and treatment I can expect, I'll be heading back to Corsair time and time again, and they'll be my first stop for components. I am impressed.

Now, if only tomorrow would get here sooner so I could tear into my own 550D!

Wow, I'm really impress how much the manufacture or manufacture rep is involve in the [H]ard community, it's pretty cool to see

I was wondering now that theres more info out if any of you guys could plz answer some of these questions:

1. How solid are the rubber grommets on the cable holes do they have a tendency to fall off like on other cases (NZXT H2 for example)?

2. On the top of the right side panel intake is there room to mount a side panel fan if you have a large CPU cooler, lets say if I mounted a Cooler Master Gemini S524 would I have room for a fan there too? What about the Hyper 212 Evo how much room would that leave?

3. Does the power supply have mounts to prevent vibration?

4. What are the specs on the stock fans that come with the case (RPM, Noise Level(DBA), and Air Flow (CFM))?

5. Does the case come with a 5.25 to 3.5 converter so I can install a 3.5 card reader?

6. How much of an improvement in airflow should I expect to see if I were to remove the front panel door and fan cover, is it a noticeable improvement or should I just keep them on?

I was wondering now that theres more info out if any of you guys could plz answer some of these questions:

1. How solid are the rubber grommets on the cable holes do they have a tendency to fall off like on other cases (NZXT H2 for example)?

2. On the top of the right side panel intake is there room to mount a side panel fan if you have a large CPU cooler, lets say if I mounted a Cooler Master Gemini S524 would I have room for a fan there too? What about the Hyper 212 Evo how much room would that leave?

4. What are the specs on the stock fans that come with the case (RPM, Noise Level(DBA), and Air Flow (CFM))?

5. Does the case come with a 5.25 to 3.5 converter so I can install a 3.5 card reader?

6. How much of an improvement in airflow should I expect to see if I were to remove the front panel door and fan cover, is it a noticeable improvement or should I just keep them on?

I can answer a few.

1. Grommets seem sturdy. I don't have any other cases with this feature to compare to though. I just moved my finger around in one of them pretty aggressively and everything flexes around and returns as it should. No indication of anything separating from the case. They look replaceable so I'm sure I could pull on one and the whole thing would pop off but that would have to be intentional. They are rubber so I'm sure like anything if a big strand of cables sits on them for 1+ years its going to lose its pliability.

3. There are rubber standoffs on the bottom and a rubber outline against the back. No specific grommets for each screw hole but the way its setup I can't see how it will vibrate or cause noise.

4. Don't see any markings on the fans.

5. No converters included.

redbeard FTW.

he did the same with the 800d when it first came out, There was motherboard alignment issues with the standoff holes... they investigated @ the source (factory), fixed it, and ... I cant speak for everyone, but i cant think of a 'fix' for this that other would be able to have used .... for my issue, they sent (me) a new 800d and footed the bill for shipment to canada. Yeah, you read right.

Corsair rules :)

To the guys with the rattling problem... are you sure it's not a 'broken' part, as opposed to a mis-aligned part, etc?

Yeah, you rock Redbeard! I'll probably wait a bit for some other components of my build to come out before purchasing this case but this customer service really inspires my confidence in Corsair.

My own personal opinion, nut 750RPM is almost too slow to be effective in in-taking or exhausting any decent amount of air.

i'm going with the manuf. here, as they tested a trifire setup in a 550d.

I dont know ambients, and i don't know that the user above is accurately reporting the max rpm... but i'm guessing that the fans in the case provide "decent cooling".

The thing that scares me about silent cases, Obsidian 550D included, is what Cooler Master did with their Silencio 550: they included 3 fans but they were all 800 RPM low airflow fans and that case overheated like crazy. I'm scared other manufacturers may be doing the same thing as Cooler Master did. What are the chances Corsair is doing the same with this case?

Thanks for the response redbeard. I was hoping to get further on it today but didn't have time to get beyond just setting the motherboard in. I agree that a few cables routed behind will probably put a stop to the rattle. I'll update as soon as life stops getting in the way and I can finish putting it together.

OK, one system transferred last night into 550d.

Another loose / rattle-able right-hand / rear of motherboard side case panel here too.

Having seen / felt this rattle, i'm not 100% sure it can be fixed with some adhesive backed cupboard-damper things without the side panel being forced to stick out, which would be way less than ideal... especially for my brother in-law who's computer it's right beside his monitor, to his left (so this panel is what he sees) in his peripheral vision.

Redbeard, can you please post here to let us know when your engineers know the root cause / exact problem we are encountering, so that we know if it's a "panel-attached" issue or "case attached" issue so to speak? (where the piece of the latching mechanism that was miss-machined is, and how, so we can attempt DIY resolution if applicable) ....
in the meantime, there's no rush to file an RMA on my brother-in-law's behalf, right?

Also Redbeard, one thing for you to look into: me and my brother in-law immediately noticed when I was installing the motherboard's I/O shield that it seems some reinforcing of the rear 120mm fan metal mounting steel / motherboard I/O steel area of the case is warranted. When installing the motherboard I/O shield, i noticed a disconcerting amount of flex in the metal back there. It quite easily bulged outwards when trying to snap in the I/O shield. Felt thin enough that i really felt it required to reinforce that metal with my other hand when installing the I/O shield for fear of having it bend outward.

One question: are the side panels of the case supposed to 'pop' out when you push the panel-removal button at the top-rear?(like my 800d)... there's no popping-out at all on either panel for me, i have to push the button and 'pry' the panel loose with my fingers.

Other than the above, we were both quite impressed with the case. We really enjoyed the tool-less 5 1/4" bay, very slick. We also really liked the PSU mounting area with all the rubber underneath/ foam at the mounting end. Well done!

You are right, the foam you guys use blocks a LOT of high frequency noise. So far, quite satisfied with this case.

1. I felt they were quality. had none come loose at all, no issue whatsoever, even routing the 24-pin through one that had some cables already in it.

2. not sure.

3. yes, plently. Really nicely done. Has vibration / gasketing along the back wall too.

4. not sure of specs, motherboard reported 1000-1100 RPM when q-fan was disabled. They are quiet.

5. not sure, didnt see one.

6. i dont think you'd improve it much if it all. The entire side (both) is airflow space, and there's a large airflow space @ the bottom of the pront panel. Well designed I think. I havent done the math, but i bet the surface area of the airflow space is almost equal to the two 120mm (or are they 140mm?) 'holes' that the fans take up.

Last edited:
Quick question: are you supposed to remove the two strips of adhesive tape on either side of the case (at the bottom of the case, just below where the panels attach)? It looks like the strips are there for adjusting the fit with the side panes, but the adhesive isn't super-tight, so I wasn't sure.

I also have the slightly loose side panel issue; I think cables back there help a bit, but the looseness is in the upper back section (by the latch, I guess), away from the bulk of most people's cables. Minor issue but I understand why people are bothered!

Anyway, don't want the case's quality to be lost in everyone's (reasonable) description of small issues. The build quality is fantastic, there are nice touches all over like the soft mounting for the PSU and rear fan, and the cable routing is what you'd expect given Corsair's history. I'm upgrading from an Antec Sonata III so the difference in interior space and overall quality is huge; can't wait to see what it sounds like when everything is up and running.

My only minor design issue is the height of the bottom hard drive caddy -- if you have a drive in the very bottom, it's difficult to fit the cables into that space as one of the panel locking slots is right there. An understandable concession given the desire not to make this case enormous (which I appreciate!), and the easy workaround is simply using the top hard drive cage if you have a number of hard drives. I removed that cage to allow for cleaner airflow from one of the front fans.

Thanks to everyone else for their thoughts, and to Corsair for providing great support here.

4. not sure of specs, motherboard reported 1000-1100 RPM when q-fan was disabled. They are quiet.

Okay, can you plz set one of them to 100% for a minute or so and see how many RPMs your motherboard reports

that's what it reported in the BIOS. Multiple times. After some time in the bios as well.
Waiting a few minutes has nothing to do with fan RPM (voltage supplied to the fan) unless you've got software fan control happening... which the case fans did not in this case.

Okay, can you plz set one of them to 100% for a minute or so and see how many RPMs your motherboard reports

that's what it reported in the BIOS. Multiple times. After some time in the bios as well.
Waiting a few minutes has nothing to do with fan RPM (voltage supplied to the fan) unless you've got software fan control happening... which the case fans did not in this case.

yeah I was referring to software fan control actually since I doubt the fans would be running at 100% all the time, I just wanted to know their potential and see if I should get some $10 CM Sickleflows or stay stock.

Back